• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

No More Bullets!!

I'll grant that the NRA has been beating that scare-drum for the decades I've paid attention to them...but this was interesting.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2013/10/end-of-an-era-last-us-lead-smelter-to-close-in-december.aspx

And a repeat here:  http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/28/end-of-an-era-last-u-s-lead-smelter-to-close-in-december/

Who is Doe Run?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doe_Run_Company

And what their parent company, Renco (lot like Ronco, eh?) has to say:  http://www.rencogroup.net/thedoeruncompany.php

There are your breadcrumbs.  What do you think?

Hard to say... lead is essential in a lot of industries, especially in the renewable energy stuff (i.e. for storage batteries). Them lithium based batteries all have other complications, especially when it comes to high capacity energy storage.

Considering the amount of pollution put out by the plants, I'm amazed that they can't keep that under control with today's improved technology. My guess is that there will be a push for more lead recycling, and perhaps a new plant with improved pollution control measures.

Time to stock up on used car batteries? Sell them for a profit later! LOL

There ia another process to turn ore into useful raw lead. It is similar to the copper processing which is use in the copper plant in Miami, AZ ,it replaces the smelter process changing ore to raw meterial. I beliele it uses a water electrolysis process. It will cost millions for the company to retrofit the smelter to the new process, so they won't come back on line till Omoma is out of office.

There ia another process to turn ore into useful raw lead. It is similar to the copper processing which is use in the copper plant in Miami, AZ ,it replaces the smelter process changing ore to raw meterial. I beliele it uses a water electrolysis process. It will cost millions for the company to retrofit the smelter to the new process, so they won't come back on line till Omoma is out of office.

Ugh... sounds like what Curis is doing in florence, AZ - injecting sulphuric acid after hydrofacturing the ground (i.e. fracking) and dissolving the copper (copper sulphate solution), pump it out and then extract via electrolysis. 

There's a lot of talk about potential pollution of the groundwater using this method... hard call to make, but doing this with lead could be risky too.

Edited by shibiwan

Lead creates too much pollution and will destroy the universe.....so well shut down the regulated US plant, and buy it from the completely unregulated plants elsewhere who will be ramping up production and lowering standards of this new cash cow. Now we can pat ourselves on the back for "doing something"

I did a lot of research on lead poisoning/contamination when the shooting club asked me to be on the board.

For all the hype, the danger of lead contamination is almost entirely from lead additives in consumer products, rather than chunks of lead from bullets/castings/etc.  Tests on Wyoming citizens showed that hunters eating game only had a few more lead ppm in their blood than did people who bought their foods.  Both classes of Wyoming people had lead levels about 1/4 that of the general population of major cities like Los Angeles or Chicago.

I did a lot of research on lead poisoning/contamination when the shooting club asked me to be on the board.

For all the hype, the danger of lead contamination is almost entirely from lead additives in consumer products, rather than chunks of lead from bullets/castings/etc. Tests on Wyoming citizens showed that hunters eating game only had a few more lead ppm in their blood than did people who bought their foods. Both classes of Wyoming people had lead levels about 1/4 that of the general population of major cities like Los Angeles or Chicago.

And what other harmful things are those store bought consumers ingesting? Hormones, antibiotics and what else?!