• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Savage anyone?

shepp

In my recent troubles I've looked to replace my 30-06 bolt with a .308 bolt. After talking to my buddy who works for Krieger barrels, he tells me they normally don't touch the actions on their rifles when re barreling and acurizing. Looking towards the 10 FCM Scout, but idk if I'm to fond of the scope mount. Just curious on what you guys had to say

Edited by shepp

Savage has been making guns I want for a really long time, so I've done plenty of research on them.

Their Scout is a nice setup.  At $150 less (or even more) than the Ruger GSR, it is an outstanding deal.  Having worked with a scout-style scope setup a couple of times, it is VERY quick for acquisition on the target!  One range trip and you will have it all figured out.

The FCM Scout is nice IMO, as it is one of the few bolt-action rifles you can get with open sights still.

Now...not too much different, have you looked at the Savage Hog Hunter in .308?  Open sights, conventional scope mounting position...and a threaded barrel.  Like the Scout it has the Accutrigger but not the Accustock.

Been looking at those two models, the Longrange Hunter in .308 and .300WM, the 12 VLP DBM in .308, the 12 BVSS, and finally the 10FCP-SR with detachable 10-round magazine.

I may damn well start collecting Savages.

Thank you for you input! I did glance at the hog hunter last night, maybe that will be my reading for tonight.

Not that buying another scope would be a big deal but I did just buy a Nikon prostaff 3x9-50 last year for my 30-06 so that's an option conventional mount.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a Savage... but I thought I'd toss this one in the ring too...

Mossberg MVP "Patrol" in .308 Win..... It uses DPMS/SR25 style mags too!

Expected price tag about $550-$600

16.5" Fluted Hvy Bbl, w/ 1:10" Twist and 5/8"x24 threads

Interesting... more options! I was actually leaning to an SSG3000 (the new us-made ones now run $1500 instead of $3000ish) or a plain jane Rem 700

...wait... I could only find the Mossberg MVP in 5.56.... did I miss something?

Edited by shibiwan

G27738.jpg

I've looked at that too I like the idea of DPMS style mags. I'm not a fan of mossburg never really been. The other thing like I said above, is my good friend works for Krieger they don't touch the action on savage when reworking rifles, they feel they are that good. That's a large selling point for me.

Thanks for your input rob trust me I've eye'd it

Edited by shepp

G27738.jpg

Curse you Robooooooooooooooo!!!

I've looked at that too I like the idea of DPMS style mags. I'm not a fan of mossburg never really been. The other thing like I said above, is my good friend works for Krieger they don't touch the action on savage when reworking rifles, they feel they are that good. That's a large selling point for me.

Thanks for your input rob trust me I've eye'd it

Remember shepp…Mossberg makes a buttload of barrels for other manufacturers.  Tom's pretty happy with his 5.56 MVP.

May have to move some stuff now, so I can get mag commonality.

Curse you Robooooooooooooooo!!!

Remember shepp…Mossberg makes a buttload of barrels for other manufacturers. Tom's pretty happy with his 5.56 MVP.

May have to move some stuff now, so I can get mag commonality.

True I do like the detachable mag on the mossy, and that it'll take my pmags is cool too. That's the one thing with the "hog hunter" I don't like 4 round internal mag, I'd like atleast 5 . Also this would be a gun I would be walking with/drive hunting deer meaning I'd most likely be shooting at a moving target. But I guess you can mod in a detachable into the hog hunter.

G27738.jpg

Rob are you throwing this out there because you KNOW Huckleberry Feinstein and her gang of anti's will make this your patrol rifle next year!

Because semi autos will be obsolete.

Edited by Dane Armory

^^^  I will say, on that one up there - the Mossberg that Rob posted.

For a 16" 308 bolt gun, be glad it's got a threaded barrel.  You will NEED a comp or brake on it.  The GSR with that stupid factory flash hider would rattle your damn teeth when you shot it, just from the concussion/pressure wave.  I did the Spike's Dynacomp, which works great.  I'd like to try a Brakeout on it.

Rob are you throwing this out there because you KNOW Huckleberry Feinstein and her gang of anti's will make this your patrol rifle next year!

Because semi autos will be obsolete.

Not a chance!!! Don't you see the detachable mag...and it's BLACK!!! What an evil color.

• 3 months later...

Went to cabelas north of Milwaukee yesterday, they had the .308 patrol in stock. Feels good I like the sights, but I was really disappointed in the bolt idk if it was just this gun or what but it was really sloppy. I like the idea of the mag and the sights are nice but the bolt really turned me off