• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Training Section

J.Boyette

Shooters,

I asked imschur if he had a section for training, and with in 24 hours he put this up and asked me to mod it for him.

Well I greatly appreciate the offer and will do my best.

My ideas,

A place to talk about real world Tactics and Training for all types of firearms, with a strong emphasis to the semi-auto rifle, more so on the AR family.

I am not all knowing, or my way is the highway kind of guy. I look forward to the ideas, techniques and thoughts of all of you.

Together we can learn and be better supporters of our 2nd amendment rights found in the constitution

JB it would be nice if you would post your credentials as an introduction. I have basic infantry training courtesy of Ft. Benning, and advanced Armor training at Ft. Knox. After service I worked as a Security Guard at a nuke site and had the standard D.O.E. training that goes with that. I also worked general Armed security as a rent a cop for a while. I am an NRA certified pistol instructor. I teach a couple classes a year to pistol permit applicants and a couple introduction to firearms classes for the local college criminal justice students. I've never been to a civilian shooting school, but I retired this year and have the time to do it now. What kind of instruction would you recommend for me?

After service I worked as a Security Guard at a nuke site and had the standard D.O.E. training that goes with that.

There's not too much that's standard about that training, SWShooter...  <thumbsup>  That's a pretty good feather to have in your cap, man.  ;D

SWshooter,

Wow, you and I are very similar in our life choices.

Thats great.

Firearm Instructor Level Classes:

NRA Basic Rifle

NRA Home Firearm Safety Course

U.S. Army Close Quarter Marksman

U.S. Army Squad Designated Marksman

U.S. Army Machine Leaders Course

Troy University Combat Stress Pistol Firing 

Some of the classes I have attended:

Nuclear Security Officer Armed and Unarmed

North Carolina Armed and Unarmed Security Officer

LEO Sniper Training

LEO Patrol Rifle

LEO Pistol

Ft Benning Combat Pistol

Ft Benning Combat Rifle

And some other classes

I also shoot in matches and such to keep my personal ability's up.

As far as what you should take, wow I have no clue, I like to take basic level classes. I always learn new steps, or techniques in them. Also I learn what I struggle in every time.

I would just look at what you feel is a strong point, take that class to see if you bring home anything that would help then go for the firearm you need help in. Thats how I work it.

Great question.

I was surprised at how much I learned at our local gun club when we started an unofficial IDPA club. I was pretty much the top gun when we started, but within a year there were 6-8 guys who could keep up with me. The level of difficulty of the scenarios keeps getting higher and higher. I had to take a year off after major rotator cuff surgery and I don't think I'll be able to catch up to the younger guys. They run faster and bounce better than I do anymore. One thing I've noticed is the number of equipment failures has decreased enormously. IDPA will soon prove your gun, ammo and holster choice. The bad thing is alot of guys no longer shoot their carry guns. I always shoot one of my carry guns, and I try to use my regular holster if posible, if not I try to use a holster that carries the same. IDPA is a real confidence booster and gives you the practice of shooting under pressure. That's one of the biggest changes i see in new shooters. Their gun handling and reload skills get alot smoother and faster. If you've never fired any kind of combat match I highly recommend it. I wish there was a club running three gun matches around here as I'd like to try that also.

SWshooter,

You are right on IDPA and other comp's. I am not the fastest in a foot race or sprinting from point to point,  speed is not a measurement of ability, accurate bullet placement is. I use cover and concealment for max effect and will take shots that most would not.

how I see it is this, you only have four options to test your self in a gun fight.

1. Join the combat arms of the military

2. Join a LE department in a high risk area

3. Go seek such encounters in a high risk area

4. Shoot competitions that is someone other then your rules and skill sets to test

Thats the only way I know to test yourself..When I shoot in a comp, I take it as a test of my ability to perform within the rules and I do not worry about my score. I attack the COF blind and see how I do. My goal is not to win the match, but to better myself and meet people of the same mind frame.

Have a great week

WOW small world for us NUKE GUYS.

Echo much the same.

But I'm a former 19D / CAV SCOUT and am cuirous as to what is "advanced" Armor that FKx offers. I was an IT there in the 90's for 1st ATB and 16th CAV.

( I kidd ) small world....

I get to continue some training this comming year at the Former BW North facitity at their MIL / LE Sniper school. cant wait.

I had the Armor Officers Basic Course, the Cav course, Junior Motor Officers  Course, and the Armor Officers Advanced course. I also did the Tank Commanders Course at Gowen Field in Boise Idaho, which was probably the toughest tank course I took. It was three weeks long and concentrated purely on understanding the turret mechanics of the ballistic system and pure gunnery. Final test was a company (14 M60a3's) sized live ammo battle run. Only one I've ever been in. Not too many places have range facilities that can handle 14 tanks online with live main gun ammo (105mm).

• 1 month later...

Oh heck, why not.

• Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol and Fighting Rifle. (Fall 2006)

• Defensive Combat Tactics SWAT Basic Skills course. (Winter 2007)

• Defensive Combat Tactics Private Firearm Skills Consultation. (Spring 2007)

• Tactical Solutions Group: Tactical Lifesaver-Basic Course (TLS-B). (Summer 2007)

• Andy Stanford's Tactical Rifle, and Defensive Pistol Tactics. (Summer 2007, 2009)

• LMS Defense Active Shooter Response Training. (Fall 2007)

• LMS Defense's Carbine I Class. (Winter 2008)

• I.C.E. Training's "Introduction to Combat Focused Shooting" (August 08)

• SouthNarc's IEK (August 08)

• CSAT - Tactical Pistol Instructor Graduate (October 09)

• USAF - Range Safety Officer (June 10)

• Defensive Edge - AR15 Armorers Course (June 10)

• Defensive Edge - Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 Armorers Course (June 10)

• Magpul Dynamics - Tactical Carbine (Sept 10)

• Magpul Dynamics - Advanced Tactical Carbine (Sept 10)

• CSAT - Shoothouse Instructor Course Graduate (December 10)

• 1 month later...

Thats true.

Been a busy time for me.

I will step it up this week.

But heck guys, whats on your plate? Whats your all goals?

This month I have the following going on.

Juniper Swamp Match next weekend

Intermediate Pistol class 2 weeks away

Carbine class in a month

John

Well between my schedule and the Academy, we pretty much never stop.

Since February we've had Appleseed out, hosted a cadet wing training day, spent time on patrol/peel/bound tactics with a gent from NSW, a guest instructor from MD AFB, med scenario training and spent a couple of hours with ECAS and (rare) Army/SF JTACS.

Yah. *whew*

as1101.jpg

One of the CST members during the Appleseed shoot.

[img width=810 height=607]http://www.ttellc.net/cst/cwt01.jpg

An example of the Cadet Wing Training Day, where advanced manipulations are taught to fellow cadets by the CST.

[img width=810 height=451]http://www.ttellc.net/cst/abc2.jpg

A CST member engages a target during a field medical scenario.

[img width=810 height=607]http://www.ttellc.net/cst/abc3.jpg

The team triages and treats a role player prior to bounding back to a safe evac point.

[img width=810 height=607]http://www.ttellc.net/cst/abc5.jpg

A former CST leader returned as a guest instructor and to support the scenario training.

We have a full schedule thru the end of April, and then my summer Civ/LE training schedule starts.

Kelly

I wasn't allowed into the military due to a medical condition  :'( but I've taken some private sector training.  I'm taking a rifle class from Ken Royce this summer followed by a pistol class, a carbine class, and a precision rifle class from Mark Fricke a couple of weeks later.  My NRA instructor class is coming up soon this month and hopefully I can start doing some entry-level training in my area.  A buddy of mine in CO is talking about doing a Magpul Dynamics carbine class for his bachelor party this fall so hopefully I can swing that.

In the course of typing this post I just remembered why I'm single...  <laughs>

• 11 months later...

Job description for my previous employer:

The special operations weapons sergeant employs conventional and unconventional warfare tactics and techniques in individual and small unit infantry operations. Trains and maintains proficiency in all Major Duties- Employs highly demanding conventional and high-risk unconventional warfare tactics and techniques in the employment of individual domestic, foreign small arms, light and heavy crew served weapons, anti-aircraft and anti-armor weapons. Supervises and performs construction of hasty fortifications and controls execution of tactical conventional and unconventional operational employment and functioning of all types of U.S. light weapons (up to and including 50 cal MG), U.S. heavy weapons (up to and including the 4.2in and 120mm mortar and 106mm RR), man-portable air defense weapons and U.S. antiarmor weapons (including anti-tank missile systems), to perform tactical operations. Maintains proficiency with the employment and functions of all foreign high-density light and heavy weapons, man portable air defense and anti-armor weapons. Evaluates terrain, selects weapons emplacements, sites, and assigns targets and areas of fire. Reads, interprets, and prepares combat orders.

• 3 months later...

KellyTTE,

The third picture, is that just south of Fort Carson? Looks familiar I was out there a few months back and was RSO for a UH60 gunnery on an AF range just south of Fort Carson and Col Springs. Cannot for the life of me remember the range name at the moment.