• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Home defense shotgun

Madhouse

So I'm just cruising the forum today and came across this. It's died out but I think it's an important topic so I'm gonna throw out my approach.

My Glock 20 is my defense gun. I keep it loaded and chambered at all times. It lives in a Blackhawk holster full time. I'm comfortable with this for a few reasons. Glocks don't operate like traditional firearms so the firing pin isn't technically cocked when a round is in the chamber. Also, the holster requires that a button be pressed to release the gun and expose the trigger. Finally, I have no children. Operating the slide is a coordinated and very ambiguous act to do when under duress. I like my Glock because it is simple point and shoot. No safeties or hammers to manipulate. I'm not going to waste that benefit by leaving it unchambered. The noise alone resulting from that big heavy slide moving around is enough reason to me. I don't want any unnecessary noise drowning out what I need to hear and I don't want my status or position to be given away. You'd be amazed at how quickly I have gotten out of bed while simultaneously grabbing my Glock, unholstered it, and posted up at the foot of my bed completely naked. Its a quiet and efficient reaction.

It's not uncommon for it to sit on the desk or end table next to me. My wife going in and out of the house regularly makes it difficult track the status of the back door and likely that if something happened I would have less time than ideal to react. At night it sleeps in a drawer by the bed. I don't leave it in the open when I'm asleep. That's asking for it. If my doorbell rings or somebody knocks when I'm not expecting it, I go to the door armed. If I can't assess who it is with the door closed I'm not opening it. If it's somebody that's supposed to be there, they can call or get my attention otherwise. I leave a single lamp on in my living room at all times. At night it is the only light source in the whole house. It makes it easy for me to look out of my bedroom door and see well but the person looking into my room will be unable to see anything at all. I don't believe in "going to check things out". If something seems wrong, stay put until you feel confident everything is OK. Let them take the car, lawnmower, tv, whatever. A TV isn't worth killing or dying over. You huddle up and protect your family. Not the lawnmower.

The dog always knows when somebody is there before I do which is helpful. Her barking is a double edged sword. Barking is a big turn off to unwanted visitors (I hope). But, barking makes it difficult for me to hear and assess the situation.

All that to say I pray that I never fire a shot in anger. It's the worst case and unthinkable. Always mind the backdrop (bullets go through walls). Especially if neighbors are close. Always identify the target. Never fire warning shots. If it comes down to pulling the trigger, fire for effect. I pray safety and peace over my home and yours.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I load 2 magazines with 5 hollow point, 10 FMJ. 2 magazines 15 FMJ.

rationale- I want great effect on the target. But, if after 5 rounds a threat persist, there's a good chance cover has been taken. FMJ will likely go through a lot more than hollow point.

Very good brother Gray.I have a lock box next to the bed cause of the grandkids w/key under it to get to a rifle.I love the Blackhawk Serpa got one for 9mm & .45. dogs are good.Naked is TMI. <laughs> <lmao>

Nudity is strategic. Nothing more frightening than a naked man with a gun :p

For home defense I go with the Astra Cub...packing 6 rds of fear inducing plated round nose .22 short bullets. My plan is for the intruder to laugh hysterically at the sight of it, which will gain me the few seconds needed to shoot out his family jewels. Ill need to do some balistics testing, Im sure it will penetrate at least one layer of cotton but Im going for double that. Waiting for some Hornady TAP... :auto:

One thing we have to pay attention to is new laws regarding children being near loaded firearms. I grew up with loaded guns around the house, it was basically like having hammers and saws around, I think those days are gone.

Just another way to outlaw guns.

That's a good point. Although, that's exactly why it's important to live in the "right" states.

I was ex military and trained to handle weapons of all sizes. I got back into guns for the fun of shooting, but also for personal/home defense. I work solo in my shop all the time and don't want any surprise "walk-ins" especially when I'm working on the machines, so I carry my Sig (SP2022 9mm) with me all the time (loaded but not chambered)

At home my wife and I do foster kids and right now we have 5, and three of them were from a particular case where the bio parents (and immediate family) are violent criminals. Even the kids' lawyer even gets nervous whenever she's in the family's area. Granted they are 40-50 miles away from us, it doesn't make me feel any safer. I keep the Sig within reach just in case, and have my 5.56, 300AAC and 308 mags fully loaded.

Safety does mean taking things into perspective especially with kids. Two of my kids have ADHD, one severe. That one (just turned 7 last week) can figure out almost anything. He figured how to operate the AR15 lower receiver I had lying on my desk in under 5 mins even though I had the safety on. I keep my bedroom locked all the time (auto locking combination lock) specifically to keep the kids out and that's where all the firearms are kept unloaded and ammo/mags are hidden in a drawer out of sight.

Edited by shibiwan

Benelli M4 always at the bedside and of course, a few assorted shortguns here and there.

We live in an old house with one thin stairway that leads upstairs with assorted window alarms and whatnot all about downstairs with deadbolts and window jams so getting a solid warning of someone breaking in should be fairly simple due to the noise it will make just to get in.  

I've taught my wife that if I'm ever out fishing (usually overnighters) or just not there, and since we all sleep on the 2nd floor, that all she needs to do is stand by near the top of the stairs with her "pre-determined" weapon at the ready, maintain her field of fire, have one of the boys get on the horn to 911 and then simply announce to whoever is down there that she is armed, able, scared and more than willing to shoot ANYTHING coming up those stairs.  The police are on their way so take whatever you want and get out quickly unless you want to be either dead or in jail but there is NO WAY anyone is going to survive a trip up my stairs.

She also knows she is not to leave her "spot" (no going downstairs to look) until the police have arrived and identified themselves and that everything is all clear.

She is just little but with 8 brothers and sisters that are ALL bigger and yet VERY afraid of her temper, I know damn well that if I simply gave her the training and the tools, when the time comes, I have no doubt she will be more terrifying to deal with than a pack of momma bears in a cub sanctuary and my boys at only 8 and 10 are more than capable of backing her up as well with anything but some of the bigger tools we have around.

The M4 is an ideal gun for guarding that stairwell with the 10 shot load and a couple of bandoleers to back it up...

I keep my bedroom locked all the time (auto locking combination lock) specifically to keep the kids out and that's where all the firearms are kept unloaded and ammo/mags are hidden in a drawer out of sight.

Not to jack the thread, but which auto lock are you using?  I have been looking for something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to jack the thread, but which auto lock are you using?  I have been looking for something like that.

Kwikset Smartcode Lever Lock

smartCode-lever.jpg

Configurable to auto-lock in 60 seconds IIRC. We have the one above and the deadbolt version on our external doors.

Edited by shibiwan

This is a lil something I keep around for my wife to back me up with....and yes, she can charge, shoot and reload this thing all day with single 0 buck OR low recoil slugs and kick ass...

It's kept handy with an empty chamber but one "ghost loaded" (so all you do is pull back and let it go), 8 in the mag and another 8 on the side-rail.  If a couple of mags of 45acps and 17 handy rounds of 12 gauge ain't gonna do it, well, it'll be time to let Houston know we've got a problem..

Of course, we've always got other little odds and ends around too but, well, ya know, not everything is for the internet... >:D

post-14569-0-54673300-1396475661_thumb.j

Nice.  I've been eye-balling them 590s although i've never even owned a pump-gun of my own.  USED a few, but never owned one.

I love just going to the range and rockin and rollin some days.  That's when it's great to have a shotgun..  

Mine comes out to 8+1+1.  Blasting 10 out accurately in just over 2 seconds will give you quite good feeling on a frustrating day... :))

When there are decent guys at the range, I'll usually pass it around and give a couple of guys a try at it.  It's always good for a rush when you see guys firing it like it was the closest they've ever been to shooting a full auto.  Most of the time, they'll have a stutter step with it and baby it so I'll give me hell and tell em to lean on it.  Then I'll load it up again and that's when they start raving.  It's a hell of a gun.

No matter what though, pump or semi, nothing gets a baddy's attention like staring down that big ass bore of a 12er.  It's an attention getter from all angles... >:D

Edited by Sharkey

A Mossberg 930 SPX is next on my list, the one without the pistol grip. Right now I keep a Winchester 1200 18" 12 ga. in the bedroom for those unexpected visits.

I've got my son's Benelli M4 in the gun safe, but I just can't get used to that pistol grip! I guess after 22 years of carrying and shooting a cop model 870 the pistol grip thing will never feel right to me.

Edited by 392heminut

How about a naked man with a gun and an erection?  Now THAT'S scary....

DUDE!!!  There's a picture somewhere on this site of ROB, like that!  He's in his banana-hammock, slinging lead!  That was a LONG time ago, and I think the only ones here that still remember it are me and Greg.  It was SCARY!!!  If I can find the thread, I'll link his banana-hammocked-ass right in here.  :banana:

A Mossberg 930 SPX is next on my list, the one without the pistol grip.

Brother, you shot that thing yet?  If not, drive over!!!  Jon and I both have them.  I KNOW you've been to the range when one of us has had them there - that's the perfect shotgun, IMHO.  THAT is what I'd use for the HD shotgun, no doubts about it or questions asked.  <thumbsup>