• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Home defense shotgun

Madhouse

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

coming from uniformed street duty, i know the police are just a little bit of time too far away for help. knowing that, we dont have any children at home and the grandlittles are watched by us carefully as my wife and i both know the devastation of a child handling a loaded weapon. (A fellow LEO lost his two year son that way a long time ago). i keep my S&W with one in the chamber and the safety on by the bed. the shotgun is a long barrel and it stays loaded with "00" but not one in the chamber. my wifes LCR is by her side and loaded.........the ADT alarm is set and we get a good nights sleep........the new LR will stay close with a mag and ready for duty......

• 3 weeks later...

survival should drive your training, thoughts and actions............i always kept survival at the front of my thoughts as i had a family and wanted to come home each day to hug them.......

I think winning should drive training. A ex military and former LEO that does training taught me that the determination to win a gun fight usually has a better end result than the drive to survive it.

I don't mean to sound rude. And I don't mean to invalidate your thoughts on it. But I think there's a big difference between the two and it could matter for somebody here one day.

I keep the old mossberg tube loaded to partial capacity (5 rnds), because I may want to go out in my yard and shoot one of the birds that likes to poop on my vehicles... :-/

I always specifically go over the status of the shotgun with my wife, and what she needs to do to use it. I havne't gotten her to train as much as I would like though.

But typically there is no round in the tube, safety is off, and hammer is dropped so you don't have any slide release button to worry about :-D (mostly, again, for the wife. Keep it simple stupid)

• 1 month later...

For home defense I go with the Astra Cub...packing 6 rds of fear inducing plated round nose .22 short bullets. My plan is for the intruder to laugh hysterically at the sight of it, which will gain me the few seconds needed to shoot out his family jewels. Ill need to do some balistics testing, Im sure it will penetrate at least one layer of cotton but Im going for double that. Waiting for some Hornady TAP... :auto:

Haha, just found this...man I'm dumb. Might have been drinking and typing.