• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

no bueno

Madhouse

I load all my pistol ammo on a 650 progressive, and even if I weren't checking my finished rds, (I do), I'd notice the extra force required to do that compared to a properly seated bullet. I don't catch everything, all the time, sometimes find a poorly seated primer, but when I'm loading, if I notice more force needed than usual on a pull of the lever, I'm definitely going to check the rds in the shell plate at that time. Most of my reloading problems, when they do occur, come from using mixed once fired brass.

The only time I've had that happen was when I missed chamfering the inside of the case mouth, on 5.56 rounds.  Is that what primarily causes something like above?  It happened early on that batch of brass of mine, and I caught it - and was slapping myself in the head (much like Rob will be doing shortly...). 

The only time I've had that happen was when I missed chamfering the inside of the case mouth, on 5.56 rounds.  Is that what primarily causes something like above?  It happened early on that batch of brass of mine, and I caught it - and was slapping myself in the head (much like Rob will be doing shortly...). 

Mine was on .45acp with lead pills, not enough flare to the case mouth…so probably the chamfer on 5.56 jacketed rounds.

I have to admit to doing a few of these my self on my 650.  Never done one on my RCBS single stage, or on my star progresive.   By the time you notice the extra pressure on the lever, it's already to late.LOL!!

Respectfully

Terry

Yup…easy peasy with all that mechanical leverage.  I WASTED a couple of cases (different occasions) that were skewed in the shell plate…by the time they jam up the works, it is "recycle only" brass.