• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 vs 300wsm

Cali_Ed

if you want a big slow moving bullet with a rainbow trajectory just go on and built a 45110 AR that ought to do it..... you do not need a magnum anything to kill every species on this continent  I know I have done almost that except for a brown bear and a muskox which I do not care about with a 308 or a 270 Jack oconnor did it as well all these magnums are just well gimicky unless you are talking 7mm STW or 338-378 but then you would need a custom lower and upper and the thing would weigh a ton....my 2 cents

I can't see any mention of what you're wanting to use this rifle for....

If I wanted to reach out and touch something and hit whatever it is with a lot of energy, I'd use 338 lapua. I'd take it over .50 BMG.

However, if you want an accurate hunting rifle that has enough power to kill North American critters, .308 is plenty. The most you may need is 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag.

So I ask, what's this thing for?

Geez guys, we all know the 308 will kill anything but there is nothing wrong with wanting something different is there?  Just find it odd to see questions like "what do you need that for..."  sounds like what the gun control people ask...

Ok that being said I have a 300 Saum, DPMS, and it shoots fantastic!  110 gr vmax at 3500 fps, 178's at 2800, haven't loaded anything else but probably going to try some 150's soon. It has a 20" barrel which hurts velocity a lot.

I've put probably 4 to 500 rounds thru it and I can tell you the pros and cons.

Pros:

Way faster than my 20" 308 with any bullet, at least 2 to 300 fps faster.

Hits correspondingly harder and shoots that much flatter, bucks wind better

You won't likely see another one at the range

I bought it so cheap at Cabela's that I couldn't pass it up ($725 complete)

Cons:

Mags only hold 4 rounds, and are finicky. I modded a pmag that works well but it only holds 3. More than that and the sides bulge out because the rounds are so fat that they don't stack like 308 family rounds.

Parts- if the bolt ever breaks it's all over, no replacements that I know of. I broke an extractor and luckily DPMS has a few left over and sent me one. The only other option is to grind and modify a 308 extractor.

Brass- I have 150 pieces and I get a lot of loadings out of it (10 or so) but I don't see any more available right now. Hopefully that changes and things will get back to normal.

I've considered selling it as my 260 shoots about as flat and bucks the wind great, and burns less powder, etc, but the 300 is just so cool I can't let it go.

Geez guys, we all know the 308 will kill anything but there is nothing wrong with wanting something different is there?  Just find it odd to see questions like "what do you need that for..."  sounds like what the gun control people ask...

Ok that being said I have a 300 Saum, DPMS, and it shoots fantastic!  110 gr vmax at 3500 fps, 178's at 2800, haven't loaded anything else but probably going to try some 150's soon. It has a 20" barrel which hurts velocity a lot.

I've put probably 4 to 500 rounds thru it and I can tell you the pros and cons.

Pros:

Way faster than my 20" 308 with any bullet, at least 2 to 300 fps faster.

Hits correspondingly harder and shoots that much flatter, bucks wind better

You won't likely see another one at the range

I bought it so cheap at Cabela's that I couldn't pass it up ($725 complete)

Cons:

Mags only hold 4 rounds, and are finicky. I modded a pmag that works well but it only holds 3. More than that and the sides bulge out because the rounds are so fat that they don't stack like 308 family rounds.

Parts- if the bolt ever breaks it's all over, no replacements that I know of. I broke an extractor and luckily DPMS has a few left over and sent me one. The only other option is to grind and modify a 308 extractor.

Brass- I have 150 pieces and I get a lot of loadings out of it (10 or so) but I don't see any more available right now. Hopefully that changes and things will get back to normal.

I've considered selling it as my 260 shoots about as flat and bucks the wind great, and burns less powder, etc, but the 300 is just so cool I can't let it go.

Those are some of the reasons why im looking at a 375wsm, it doesn'thurt to have extra power when hhunting big hogs or reaching way out there for game/predators. Probably the secondbest bullet sselection available as well.

Cali_Ed so what did you decide on? Im trying to get a 375wsm going again, life got in the way for awhile.

i just went with a 308, almost done building it. If I want a bigger badder more accurate caliber I'll go bolt action haha. I'm not hunter.... yet anyways I'm sure a 308 can take anything down?