• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 reloading opinions needed

str8shuutr45

Decided to start .308 reloading in the new year (I have been loading 45acp, 9mm, and 5.56/223 on a Dillon 550 for a long time).  I have a Gracey Trimmer and will get the parts for the Dillon, as well as dies, and an RCBS Precision Mic.  My dilemma is what bullet weight(s) to load up.  My main 308 is a DPMS LR308 MK12.  I can't decide on 155 or 168.  I really don't want to perform too much trial and error since components are hard to find. 

I'd like to settle on a bullet weight and find a good couple of loads and shoot.  I'd rather fart around with powder than bullets.  My range limits me to 200 yards although they are working on a 1000 yd range.  So for now, I'll shoot between 100 and 200 yds.  

Also, I've been reading about a small base die.  I don't use one now for my 5.56/223 loads.  Is a SB die recommended?

So there you have it...let me have it!

No real need for the SB sizing die , unless you load your ammo for different 308 rifles , as I do & I use SB for both 308 & 223. I have had some ammo loaded for my 5.56 with FL die that showed some better grouping , but I only have the SB sizing die for the 308 , so I can't compare the 308's , yet. I'm looking at die sets now , looking into a match set.

Sorry to say it , but you will have to shoot your choice of bullets to see which your barrel will like . I like the 168 any thing for both of my AR's but they shoot the Mil spec Ball fodder pretty good also,but no where near what the 168 SMK"s to Hornady Match will do.

My DPMS barrels like the 150 to 168gr projo's. The 24" likes the 168gr Hornady Match bthp and Sierra Matchking 168gr hpbt over all other bullets. They group better than the 175gr projo's.

For powders Hodgdon Varget and IMR 4064.

I have Lee and Rcbs 308 FL dies with Factory Crimp Die they work great.

Would also depend on , if your hunting with a 308 . I might be more inclined to use a 150"s gr. class of bullet. Long range hunting may even go heavier than 168 gr., hard to say with out testing with the rifle.

That's what makes reloading such fun , all the variables & choices you have to set a caliber up to work in your firearm.

Edited by survivalshop

Started reloading not too long ago.

I've used 175 SMK's and Barnes Matchburners (175gr) with IMR-4064 with good results. No need for SB dies though. I use full length Hornady die sets and Lee die sets  (I like their factory crimp dies). The Hornady has a better elliptical sizer/punch assembly, and was much easier to use than the Lee dies.

Edited by shibiwan

Thanks all - was able to pick up a used set of Dillon dies, tool head and conversion kit for my 550.  I picked up 100 each Hornady 155 gr HPBT and 168 gr AMax bullets, 1# ea IMR 4064 and H322 powder, and 500 WLR primers (limit 500) at my local dealer (the choices were slim).  I did find a RCBS precision mic sitting on the shelf; had to pick that puppy up since I don't think I can reload without my .223 version.  The only other items I am getting is a Lee Factory crimp die and a universal decapping die.  I like to size my cases after I clean them in a separate tool head, trim to length, tumble again to get the lube off, and then run through my 550 process.  With the universal decapping die in place of the sizing die, I can keep the loading process as progressive as possible.

I like to size my cases after I clean them in a separate tool head, trim to length, tumble again to get the lube off, and then run through my 550 process.  With the universal decapping die in place of the sizing die, I can keep the loading process as progressive as possible.

I do it the same way. That has worked really well for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all - was able to pick up a used set of Dillon dies, tool head and conversion kit for my 550.  I picked up 100 each Hornady 155 gr HPBT and 168 gr AMax bullets, 1# ea IMR 4064 and H322 powder, and 500 WLR primers (limit 500) at my local dealer (the choices were slim).  I did find a RCBS precision mic sitting on the shelf; had to pick that puppy up since I don't think I can reload without my .223 version.  The only other items I am getting is a Lee Factory crimp die and a universal decapping die.  I like to size my cases after I clean them in a separate tool head, trim to length, tumble again to get the lube off, and then run through my 550 process.  With the universal decapping die in place of the sizing die, I can keep the loading process as progressive as possible.

question: you tumble again after you size, so there is not any irregularities in the brass when you seat? I have collected all the reloading equipment over the past 6 months and am almost finished with my reloading room. I have never reloaded, so please excuse my ignorance

question: you tumble again after you size, so there is not any irregularities in the brass when you seat? I have collected all the reloading equipment over the past 6 months and am almost finished with my reloading room. I have never reloaded, so please excuse my ignorance

I like using the progressive function of my 550. Since I also reload pistol cartridges on my press, I have built in muscle memory for the process.  When I initially started reloading rifles, I tried keeping the seating die in place with the powder, bullet seating, and crimp die.  The problem occurred after I full length sized the brass. Since the brass needed to be trimmed, I had to trim the cases and run them through the reloading process which meant through the sizing die to prime the case.  After a few I also noticed the lube was inside the case neck and really not working well. 

After some phone consulting with some friends and a person at Dillon, it was suggested that I place the sizing die in a separate tool head, size, de-cap, clean the flash hole, trim and re-tumble to get the lube off the cases.  

The same person suggested that I place a universal de-capping die in station #1 on the tool head of my 550 and use it clear the flash hole of any media and to utilize the same reloading flow as I am used to e.g. size & de-cap, prime, drop powder, seat bullet, crimp, begin again. 

This process only works on progressive presses with 4 stations and interchangeable tool heads like the Dillon.  If you are thinking of using a single stage or a progressive without interchangeable tool heads, you will need to tailor your reloading process.  

I hope this helps...

Ya, I'v got all the books.  Just hoping someone had a real tack driver load.

Thanks

Terry

The FGMM 175 SMK uses 42.5 GR of IMR-4064 and those are super consistent. For 168gr you should be able to up the charge by 0.5gr.By careful hand loading, you should hopefully be able to match or even exceed that consistency. 

I read that fgmm used 175 sierra hpbt with 4064 loaded at 41.75 g. 2.80 COL. I have had great success out to 750 yards with those as I load mine to those specs. I'm shooting ar 308, 18.5 barrel 1:10 twist. I notice I'm going up about .3-.4 mils more than my buddy with a bolt gun 20" barrel 1:10 twist. He's shooting factory fgmm 175. Should I go up to 42. Gr???