• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ice fishing ?

shepp

Anyone here ice fish? Been kinda a slow winter here the bitter cold brings high pressure which keeps the fish from biting. Started out great the week before Christmas we did really good but it died off from there. My permanent shack is sitting in my drive way right now hoping to chase down some pan fish this weekend in my portable

Edited by shepp

Broke my leg one winter so I spent alot of time in the icehouse. We where mostly spear fishing with tip-ups set up outside the shack. I spent a week straight staring into that Norwegian television didn't see a damn thing.

One of those days went outside for a beer run and all I hear is my buddy hollering. Fn speared a 9lbs northen pike. I missed the whole thing. Haven't been out since.

Broke my leg one winter so I spent alot of time in the icehouse. We where mostly spear fishing with tip-ups set up outside the shack. I spent a week straight staring into that Norwegian television didn't see a damn thing.

One of those days went outside for a beer run and all I hear is my buddy hollering. Fn speared a 9lbs northen pike. I missed the whole thing. Haven't been out since.

I do a lot of tip up fishing the natives can Speer walleye up north it decimates the population. It's tradition but yet they aren't doing it with sticks and lanterns like 100's of years ago I can tell you that.

There is also a sturgeon season on lake winabago open to anyone with a license. It's all based on the amount of fish taken can be open two days can be open a week, it's done how you discribed "Norwegian tv" lol.

I like to tip up fish we have a 60's camper trailer coverted into a shack, fits about 6-7, card table, wood stove, oven stove you know roughing it. I also jig fish for pan fish too, been a slow year.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice job Shepp. I quit going out last year after a fellow I know went through the ice and drowned. I am getting the itch again though. The link below is a couple of his friends who are still guiding. Take a look, that is what we catch around here on Superior.

http://www.beyondthecatch.com/hard-water/

This is one Tom posted in the local paper the other day.

post-13300-0-81789000-1392787512_thumb.j

Edited by Sisco

I've got a thing about being on the ice.  I've been a volunteer fireman for essentially my entire life since my father became a chief when I was 2 months old and I'm 50 now and he's STILL chief...lol  Pulled too damn many kids and people out over the years from all the ponds and rivers in my area and now that I have sons, I just don't even TALK about going out on ice.

Just kinda leave the idea alone and don't bring it up..

Plus, it's not good for my little toesies...  They could catch a chill... ^-^

Sisco that's a pig! Laker right? I understand where your coming from it's a big mind fuk, sorry to hear about your friend. I've heard a lot of horror stories about superior, a bastard of a lake that's for sure! I own a ice shack with 3 other guys it's a converted 60's travel trailer. One of my best friends used to be all about pushing the limits and getting out first ice, well his ego out weighed his smarts and he sunk our shack luckily the lake we mainly fish is only 6' deep but there were two guys in the shack when it went thru they made it out ok and we recovered the shack but it was badly damaged. His tune has changed he's alit smarter and leery about the ice now.

Sharkey I know where your coming from it's something to be taken serious frozen water is a dangerous thing you can go from 6" to 1/2" of ice quick with a spring or current present. Few weeks ago I saw some kids crossing the river down here which with the fridged cold we've had was probably safe but I don't fuk with rivers moving water eats away ice real quick!

Superior where I live has strong currents. Shepp everything you and Sharkey said are true in spades. My friend was an experienced guide and just made a mistake one day that was compounded by other small mistakes. And yes, that is a Laker. Tom would be the guy to go out with if you ever want to try it up here. Jim the guy who went through was a friend/partner of his.

It's bad to have to handle the ones you pull out but I think the thing that hangs with me the most, now that I'm a parent, is the absolute horror on the faces of parents or siblings when they realize the situation.  I just never, ever, in a million years want to have that doubled over, falling to the ground like a wet rag, screaming in horror, utterly tragic and helpless pain that I've watched people go through.  It's something that just seeing and being a part of, tears you to pieces more than just having to pull someone out.  

At 50 years old, with my sons only 8 and 10, I probably hold on a bit tighter than most cuz of the crap I've grown up doing and seeing but I'll tell you what guys, I've seen parents with that look and it's not one I ever want to take part in myself.  Bad enough to have been there for someone else's pain never mind dealing with it myself.

I'll pass all day on that one.

God Bless your guides friend Sisco and damn, that's a helluva nice fish...

A big one for around these parts would be about 18 or 20 inches max...  Maybe once every couple of years you hear about a salmon being caught somewhere around here but they are like hens teeth.

I sure do love me some smoked salmon though.  I treat myself to some smoked bluefish now and again but the wife TOTALLY refuses to kiss me right after I eat a whole piece...lol

Love me some smoked trout/salmon, I gotta eat it in moderation tho it's doesn't love me as much!

My philosophy on that may change sharkey but as of now I don't have any kids. I road street bikes for many years and many people told me those things are dangerous you'll kill ursf. My reply was always I'd rather die doing something I love then die bored. I've had friends scraped off the pavement I've had friend fuk'd up pretty good. Idk just my thing. Ice is like running a chain saw if you donno wtf your doing you should stay the F away