Accurizing the 308 ar's

doggy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to step on your toes survivalshop, just reordering, trigger first before you waste time and ammo getting used to one you will swap out later anyway, practice, practice, practice, while practicing you can sort out what your gun likes for ammo, when all of this is good down the road go for a barrel if you think its necessary, this is the order I use but just my opinion and you know about opinions. <thumbsup>

Not sure what your end goal is or should I say how much accuracy you are looking for. Longer barrels help, 24 inch or custom match grade barrel 26 inch, two stage trigger (mentioned before) and good ammo, either hand loads or Fed match or equal quality. Hand guard that allows the barrel to be free floating.

I also modified my bolt that I had mentioned in another post. I eliminated the gas rings, by welding up the slot and machine it to .001 slip fit back into the carrier. The action was then super smooth in operation, the rifle cycles just fine and accuracy increased as well. Very pleased with the rifle, was able to clean the 600yd NRA target when before with gas rings I couldn't. There a lot of people didn't think much of the idea, but it's up to you in the end.

Good Luck.

Longer barrels help, 24 inch or custom match grade barrel 26 inch, two stage trigger (mentioned before) and good ammo, either hand loads or Fed match or equal quality. Hand guard that allows the barrel to be free floating.

Longer barrels give you more velocity, but not accuracy. In fact it may be less accurate due to barrel movement since the end of the barrel isn't supported as well and is less rigid.

Maybe in bench rest at 100yds - 200 yds at short barrel is better, but I never seen short barrel rifle win anything at distance unless it was against another short barrel rifle.

Suggest you go to actual rifle match at 1,000 yds with your short barrel rifle and let me know how you did against rifle built for accuracy at 1,000yd. Anyone there with a Palma rifle (30inch barrel) would be happy to out shoot your short barrel rifle.

Not to step on your toes survivalshop, just reordering, trigger first before you waste time and ammo getting used to one you will swap out later anyway, practice, practice, practice, while practicing you can sort out what your gun likes for ammo, when all of this is good down the road go for a barrel if you think its necessary, this is the order I use but just my opinion and you know about opinions. <thumbsup>

Was wondering why my toe's hurt  <laughs> I thought it was just my Gout .

If the poster is reading this , what are the spec's of your rifle ? What do you want to use it for ( hunting , long range  or just normal combat ranges )?

Maybe in bench rest at 100yds - 200 yds at short barrel is better, but I never seen short barrel rifle win anything at distance unless it was against another short barrel rifle.

Suggest you go to actual rifle match at 1,000 yds with your short barrel rifle and let me know how you did against rifle built for accuracy at 1,000yd. Anyone there with a Palma rifle (30inch barrel) would be happy to out shoot your short barrel rifle.

What you just said says nothing about a longer barrel being inherently more accurate, but only confirms my claim that longer barrels give you more velocity. We all know that you need a certain level of velocity in order for the bullet to maintain stabilization. Obviously a longer barrel is going to allow for higher velocity thus keeping the round super-sonic for longer (and giving more range over a short barrel), however as long as a bullet from a shorter barrel is still stabilized it should be more precise due to its initial trajectory from less barrel movement.

Edited by FaRKle!

FaRKle!

And still your short barrel is still a short barrel accuracy wonder for a couple hundred yards, why don't put a pistol barrel on your gun and make it even better then, leave enough room for the gas system block. It still is a oh hum gun, not much more than good dirt blaster.

Anything shoots pretty good at 100yds, at distance is where it counts. If a 1,000yds is far for you to shoot, try a 600yd match and try and beat a longer barrel rifle.

FaRKle!

And still your short barrel is still a short barrel accuracy wonder for a couple hundred yards, why don't put a pistol barrel on your gun and make it even better then, leave enough room for the gas system block. It still is a oh hum gun, not much more than good dirt blaster.

Anything shoots pretty good at 100yds, at distance is where it counts. If a 1,000yds is far for you to shoot, try a 600yd match and try and beat a longer barrel rifle.

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water, nobody has suggested that the shorter your barrel is, the better off you are at the 1k mark. In terms of rigidity, and maintaining the mobility of the AR platform, it makes sense that a shorter barrel has more rigidity given the same diameter, but with the tradeoff of less velocity. Trying to make comparisons between the benchrest world and what can feasibly be accomplished with an AR is just foolish, it's apples and oranges. The real test of your theory (as applies to an AR anyway) would be in testing the accuracy of a long barrel at distance vs. the same diameter barrel in a shorter length on the AR platform.

The real test of your theory (as applies to an AR anyway) would be in testing the accuracy of a long barrel at distance vs. the same diameter barrel in a shorter length on the AR platform.

I think that is exactly what survivalshop means to accomplish with his 16" vs 20" testing. 

Sorry, not going to buy into that short barrels are more accurate than a longer barrel because they are little stiffer in the morning.

Not going to use a long barrel gun for CQB arena but I'm not going to use a short barrel at distance. Yeah, bench rest is boring no they don't use a semi auto either.

There are far more variables why a short barrel was better than something 2 inches longer. The longer barrel could of sucked and short barrel could of been just better barrel. It could of been why longer barrels are more accurate because next time you get a short barrel that sucks and the longer barrel is real good barrel.

If you want a neat little short barrel gun, then get one. If you want to shoot longer distance and be accurate, better get a longer barrel. That will not change.    

Edited by N Jensen

I know of sniper schools that encourage students to cut the barrel on their own rifles. When lives are on the line... why wwould anyone risk making their rifle less accurate... unless they truly saw a difference in accuracy with a shorter barrel.

Please tell me you've seen the video of Travis Haley shooting a 9", suppressed, 300Blk at +750 yards.

Long barrels are sooooo 1985. Metallurgy and technology build barrels a lot different than they used to.

Velocity only helps against wind and humidity... When there is a lack of either of those factors... Two barrels, of the same design and quality, but of varying lengths, the shorter wins.

This all goes back to the pencil test. Take a standard pencil, and break it. Now break one of the pieces. Then try to break another one of the pieces. Every piece, as it gets shorter, gets harder to break.

Sorry FaRKle! I don't take any marching band directions from anyone, hey let me know when you win a rifle match with that short barrel gun. Yep I'm call you out, I have seen 100yd high masters wonders before, but they can't win jack at distance.

Sniper school that encourages you to take a hack saw and cut the barrel off for more accuracy, WTF stupid idea is that. But if lead is flying both directions and that's what is needed, I hope a hack saw is in his mess kit then. But I'm sure the gunsmith wouldn't approve of that. About the video, nope I never saw it and don't care to, would say after shooting a lot of rounds, eventually the lucky bullet will hit something. Also, hope you have a lot of pencils, try a hammer, you get even smaller chunks of wood and then there easier to break them. Can't believe I'm typing this LOL.

All of you who think that short barrels are where it's at and so forth, I challenge you to go an actual rifle match and shoot either the F-class (a scope, bipod and rear bag) or use the irons sights and try your luck out and see how you do. The shooting sports USA an on line magazine list all the rifle/pistol matches. Look it over, plenty of matches. http://www.nrapublications.org/ssusa/

Take the time to ask questions of the folks who are they, check out their equipment and rifles. The guy who wins the match will have the most experience on the range, probably over 15 or 20 years of competitions. The truly good ones have over 30 to 40 years of long range shooting, and they ant shooting a short barrel gun unless it's in the service rifle class.

I apologize to you in advance, I'm sure your convictions have merit but take the time try a game of long distance shooting. It's not easy, but its fun.

Edited by N Jensen

Sorry FaRKle! I don't take any marching band directions from anyone, hey let me know when you win a rifle match with that short barrel gun. Yep I'm call you out, I have seen 100yd high masters wonders before, but they can't win jack at distance.

Sniper school that encourages you to take a hack saw and cut the barrel off for more accuracy, WTF stupid idea is that. But if lead is flying both directions and that's what is needed, I hope a hack saw is in his mess kit then. But I'm sure the gunsmith wouldn't approve of that. About the video, nope I never saw it and don't care to, would say after shooting a lot of rounds, eventually the lucky bullet will hit something. Also, hope you have a lot of pencils, try a hammer, you get even smaller chunks of wood and then there easier to break them. Can't believe I'm typing this LOL.

I apologize to you in advance, I'm sure your convictions have merit but take the time try a game of long distance shooting. It's not easy, but its fun.

I can't believe you typed it either. It doesn't seem like the fact that we are discussing the AR platform and not benchrest can seem to be impressed upon you, so I'm switching tactics here.

Noone is expected to see eye to eye with all the other members of this forum, but everyone is expected to treat everyone else with respect. Taking the initial points out of context and exaggerating them into senselessness is disrespectful and rude, and that won't fly. Your perspective won't benefit anyone if your attitude keeps them from paying it any attention.