• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Most rugged bolt hold open available

I've finished my DPMS style .308 and the last thing I need to install is the BHO catch. I have read now a couple of times of them breaking. I currently have the one left over from my DPMS LPK.

I have a TM lower and the BHO is held captive with a dowel pin and set screw. This gives you a one shot try as once the pin is installed, it can't be removed.

Any recommendations for a "good or "best"" BHO. Maybe one made from billet? Or should I just use the one that came with the DPMS LPK and hope for the best?

It would be nice to have it installed when I first fire this rifle at the range, as I also have an adjustable gas block as well.

TIA

I have a spare bolt latch. There are none like it. It is a very rare SI-DEFENSE, made from billet stainless steel.

It's oversized at the catch point, as they designed it specifically for their .308 rifles.

Bigger, more rugged and built from stronger material.

I only replaced it with a Phase5 because I wanted the right side control features. I'll put it back if I find a lever that'll attach to it.

It cost me $78 when they actually made them. I don't think they make them anymore, so your best shot at getting one is to convince an original owner to sell.

It's not the most affordable option... but you asked for the best, and that always costs more.

Edited by Robocop1051

I've finished my DPMS style .308 and the last thing I need to install is the BHO catch. I have read now a couple of times of them breaking. I currently have the one left over from my DPMS LPK.

I have a TM lower and the BHO is held captive with a dowel pin and set screw. This gives you a one shot try as once the pin is installed, it can't be removed.

Any recommendations for a "good or "best"" BHO. Maybe one made from billet? Or should I just use the one that came with the DPMS LPK and hope for the best?

It would be nice to have it installed when I first fire this rifle at the range, as I also have an adjustable gas block as well.

TIA

that pin in the TM lower should be a fairly loose fit and it IS removeable as long as its not bottomed out and forced into the hole. Ive had mine in and out several times.  A tap on the recv will drop it right out.  However If that pin gets sheared or distorted while in the hole THAT would be a problem though.

TIA

DO NOT USE the Dowel pin ! ! !

Use the set screw ! The dowel pin will catch in the threads at the bottom of hole.

Neither of those are what come with the TM lower, they send a set screw and a hardened solid dowel pin, the pin in the pic is a roll pin you would definitely never get that out if the hole is drilled the correct size, I just got another TM lower a couple of weeks ago, I also got the screw/pin combination that I want to use and have not checked yet but it looks like it may be a larger thread, will check right now. How can I post a pic from my I phone?

• 5 months later...

When I put in my phase 5 bad lever the bho was breaking as I was taking it out. I made my own. If you would like to hear...I went to lowes got a solid steel pin kit its in a pack( and i dont remember that name of it ) fit the hole(its #6) use a marking device mark both side of the steel pin and use a cutting device and cut the middle of the marks cut it smooth then use a 1/4 length 6/32 steel allen head plug from a hardware speciality store and done. That is what I used on my lr308 it works for me. Some others may not like it but it works for me. Any questions pm me...ebrv2 308 is what I have on minepost-14889-0-30709000-1404626532_thumb.j

Edited by 78transamlvr