• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Finished my first and last LR 308 build yesterday

txbdyguard

Anyone that's thinking to build an LR 308 is the same is process as a AR15 is mistaken.  Not as many mfg and looking at 3x the cost to build one.  Yes there are some out there off the shelf for $1k but really if you are dropping hard earned coin do you want someone else's idea of the perfect rifle or do you build your own.  I have built 25 AR15 type rifles over the last few years and got to be pretty good at sourcing parts and knowing what worked best. All that went out the window when I started my LR 308 build.  First find out what platform you want to follow.  There's no milspec in LR 308 designs.  So I started by calling Jason @ Mega and he told me which parts would probably work the best for my build.  So here it is:

Mega Billet matched ambi upper/lower

Black Hole 18" Std profile barrel Mid length gas

Mid West Ind 12" forend with .215 tang

Rubber City Armory BCG with bolt.

Seekins mag release button

Geissele G2S fire control (My first Geissele not my last for sure)

Magpul CTR buttstock 

Larue Risr (Cheek piece that fits on CTR and allows the charging handle to move)

DPMS buffer tube

DPMS .308 carbine buffer with spring

Syrac Ordnance Click-Adjustable Gas Block (fits nicely inside the MWI forend)

DPMS mid length gas tube

BAD ASS selector

Falcon Grip

American Defense Recon mount

Vortex Viper HS 4x16-50

Yankee Hill Flashhider

Told the boss lady my budget was $1,800 and once I got my hearing back I got the thumbs up.  Forgot to tell her final tally was $2,500 (with shipping of all items incl).  Sold two guns plus some OT to pay for this beast.

Haven't shot it yet but hope to this weekend.  Will post pictures once I get the good ones done.  Boss lady is a photographer so including her took off some heat.

Edited by txbdyguard

This is replacing my bolt gun and hopefully will get a can for it in the near future.

Awesome!  If you get a can for it - then you might want a short 308 AR down the road.  Suppressed, the shorty would be the $hit!

I'm just sayin'... 

Well the BAD ASS selector is being removed appears to be a lil too tight and hard to move.  Put a normal selector in and it works great.  Also replacing the ERGO palm rest grip.

The back of the trigger was rubbing against it - not a BADASS problem, a trigger problem.  Battle Arms even went out of their way to make changes to their design due to fitment problems with the ATC-SR triggers, and fitment.  First time I've heard of an issue between the BADASS and the G2S, though.

Call Battle Arms Development.  I'd bet they would send you a new center section, just on the possibility that you have one of the older center section (before design change).  <thumbsup>

Called BAD and the guy I talked to asked me allot of questions.  Glad I know something about rifles.  Even had me put it in my forged AR15 and it was tighter in that than my billet gun.  Sending me another center section will see.  On a positive note shot it yesterday NO FTF or hickups at all.  Ran very smooth.  Had the block turned down and it was dumping brass at my 2 o'clock.  Very happy with how it shot.  My son shot it and said it recoiled more than my 12# bolt gun in the same caliber.  I don't think so but then again he may be jealous.  Will get the photos up soon.  Different grip with no palm swell being put on today and hopefully my replacement center section for my BAD ASS will be here.

Heck.  I wouldn't even tell my wife what HER rifle cost never mind anything of mine...lol

It's kind of a "you don't ask and I won't volunteer it" kinda thing around my house...

I got GREAT wife.  She just shoots em and smiles and then reminds me to be a good boy cuz, well, she's a hell of a shot...lol

• 3 weeks later...

My wife is great too. She knows I spent over 4k on my entire set up including scopes, I have two for it for different missions. She is so awesome she bought me all new reloading equipment for Christmas.

But yeah, I went high end on everything in the gun itself. It's probably my only one I do too. I will not sell it and if they try to take it it will be the last thing they ever try to take, until they send in the pro's I guess.

Welcome aboard this great forum, tx.