• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Double feeding issues....

I have a DPMS..LR-308 that double feeds every so often because of over gas-ing that is cause the bolt to cycle faster than the magazine can push another round up. I want to replace the buffer and spring to slow the action down a bit....went to heavybuffer.com and the owner told me that he makes 5 types of buffers. Now I do think want to slow it down too much..so do any of you guys know what weight/size should I get from him? Also..my rifle double feeds about every other mag and so far I have polished the feed ramp...put an O-ring on the extractor spring and it will double feed on steel and Magpul...Please advise... I'm open to other options and is thinking about an adjustable gas block but want to see if the buffer and spring will fix it first. THANKS!

Get the heaviest buffer that fits. You won't notice the slow-down that much to tell a difference. Most of the time you'll be trying to get back your aim for a followup shot to worry about squeezing the trigger again.

P.S. helps to know if your rifle is CAR or A2 length

Edited by shibiwan

• 1 month later...

Just curious. Switching out a butt stock over the existing buffer tube shouldn't cause any kind of ammo feeding issues? Would it?

I visited the range for the first time in a month shortly after I put on a Magpul STR buttstock and a Magpul pistol grip & she jammed on me twice with the first misfeeds I've ever experienced with my LR-308. I have to think it was just a coincidence, but it got me to thinking. I have since done a major cleaning on it & will be taking it back to see if it happens again.

Changing the stock on the receiver extension (buffer tube) will have zero effect.

Unless the new stock is causing the shooter to limp-arm the shots. Perhaps the LoP is too long, or the cheek is too high. A soft shoulder, caused by an uncomfortable stock, can contribute to a failure.

Unless the new stock is causing the shooter to limp-arm the shots. Perhaps the LoP is too long, or the cheek is too high. A soft shoulder, caused by an uncomfortable stock, can contribute to a failure.

The gun would have to have mechanical issues or be extremely poorly tuned if it's THAT sensitive... I don't see how an adjustable STR stock would cause that issue.

Magazines do need broken in, by the way.  You don't grab a 20-rounder, load up 20 the first time out, and expect flawless operation.  Also - double feed: two rounds coming out of the magazine at once; two rounds trying to enter the chamber at the same time. Caused by bad feed lips or too much pressure from the mag spring (like a stiff, new mag spring).

After cleaning out my rifle extremely well that's my next stop. When my misfeeds happened it was with two Magpul 20 rounders that I bought over the holidays and had only used once before.

Would leaving the mag loaded while not being used potentially cause the issue? I hope not. I bought the Magpuls because they're supposed to have better components.

Edited by GoDenBroncosGo

By double feeds , are you speaking of two unfired cartridges, attempted to be fed from the magazine at the same time ?

Yes , any semi auto rifle or pistol can have its recoil cycle interrupted or interfered with by having the rifle/Pistol too limp in the hand/shoulder weld . Remember the rifle /pistol are meant to be stationary when fired so the recoil is used up on the action of the firearm . When the firearm is left to recoil unrestricted , it can cause the action to lose the recoil or blow back ,meant to cycle the action . Yes it may be extreme & I have seen it happen many times over with new shooters.

Having the mag loaded for extended period of time , should not pose a problem.

GoDenBronocosGo, are you having double feeds? Your post only mentions "misfeed" which might not be a double feed. If you are having a double feed, are you getting two new rounds or having a FTE and trying to feed a new round into it?

Oh, make no mistake, he opened up this thread and his first statement with double feed...  See below:

I have a DPMS..LR-308 that double feeds every so often...

Now, that might not be what's really happening in his rifle, but that was the opening statement.  Determination of the malfunction needs to be addressed.

Oh, make no mistake, he opened up this thread and his first statement with double feed...  See below:

Now, that might not be what's really happening in his rifle, but that was the opening statement.  Determination of the malfunction needs to be addressed.

Uh, unless "myrtlebeach" changed his username the "GoDenBroncosGo" I'm pretty sure those are different posters ;)

I may only see in 16:10, but I'm pretty sure I read those names correctly =P

Edited by FaRKle!

See what happens when smoeone jumps in on another persons question/thread? 

As I look back on it, I didn't reply to the Broncos dude - I replied to the OP.  $hit went sideways after that... 

People that have an issue need to start their own topic on their issue, or they'll get as-raped with answers from all over.  That's only coming back to "their fault."  <dontknow>

I had no intention of hijacking a thread. Any other message forum I have ever been a member of has always prefered using the search function to find an existing thread for answers to your questions or for continued discussion about a topic rather than creation of a possibly redundant thread. If that's frowned upon here and I should have made an entirely new thread, my apologies. Also, my understanding of the term thread hijacking refers to starting any entirely different discussion in a thread someone else started, not continuing the discussion in an existing thread about said thread's topic. If things are different around here, this would be the first place I ever encountered in about 15 years that this is the case.

My issue was a fired round being ejected and two new rounds coming up into the chamber.

Edited by GoDenBroncosGo

I had no intention of hijacking a thread. Any other message forum I have ever been a member of has always prefered using the search function to find an existing thread for answers to your questions or for continued discussion about a topic rather than creation of a possibly redundant thread. If that's frowned upon here and I should have made an entirely new thread, my apologies. Also, my understanding of the term thread hijacking refers to starting any entirely different discussion in a thread someone else started, not continuing the discussion in an existing thread about said thread's topic. If things are different around here, this would be the first place I ever encountered in about 15 years that this is the case.

My issue was a fired round being ejected and two new rounds coming up into the chamber.

You're GTG brother, we've kinda gotten used to doing things in a different manner than most, but you've done nothing wrong. Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff. :D

Bronc, don't worry about it, man - nothing was thread-jacked.  This place is like one big run-on sentence anyway...  <lmao>

Like stated above, let's figure out the malfunction first, by description, and then we can determine cause - if you have two live rounds jumping into the chamber, that's magazine-related.  <thumbsup>

One live and one expended - not a magazine issue, usually.

• 6 years later...

Just built an AR-10 243 shot fine for about eight nine rounds loaded clip with seven more rounds and it double fed on the third shot and the extra shell set off the first shell before it was in chamber completely blew my receiver in half what would cause that

Edited by James G