Madhouse

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, E.landrus said:

Yes that is it. I’m going to find it this week. They have target lbs out to two hundred yards

Supposedly there is (or was) a range out that way that went out to 500+ yds. but I don't know the name of that neither.  Really wasn't a range actually but some land a rice farmer allowed folks to shoot on.  Anyone could shoot there but you had to bring your own stand, etc., and it was only known by word of mouth.

There's a 200 yard range nearby in Channelview, or there was one before Harvey.  I haven't been back out there since.  Might go check on that one this week.

• 3 years later...

What happen to this forum?  Looks like it died for a while.  Just bought a like new very old DPMS LR 308 Heavy barrel rifle.  I live in Abilene and rejoined the Abilene North Range Gun Club.  Found 2 boxes of Armscor 147 308 while I was in Brownwood to watch my grandson play football for McMurry University.  I will be trying to get to the range or go to my son-in-law's tank to try it out.  The ANGC range has 50, 100, and 200 yard rifle and up to 25 yard pistole pit.  If you qualify at 200 yards you can get access to the 400 yard range. Don't know if anyone ever looks at this thread anymore but thought I would try it.

18 minutes ago, Steve crawford said:

What happen to this forum?  Looks like it died for a while.  Just bought a like new very old DPMS LR 308 Heavy barrel rifle.  I live in Abilene and rejoined the Abilene North Range Gun Club.  Found 2 boxes of Armscor 147 308 while I was in Brownwood to watch my grandson play football for McMurry University.  I will be trying to get to the range or go to my son-in-law's tank to try it out.  The ANGC range has 50, 100, and 200 yard rifle and up to 25 yard pistole pit.  If you qualify at 200 yards you can get access to the 400 yard range. Don't know if anyone ever looks at this thread anymore but thought I would try it.

No there hasn’t been much activity on this thread for a while. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there. I am very new to this forum but was excited to see a Texas Shooters topic.  Then I saw how old the topic was, and figured nobody was still typing here.  Glad to see I was wrong!

I am around north side of DFW around Richardson/Plano.  Looking for an outdoor range, especially one that allows AR variants.  Thought I'd found one not too far away but then heard they don't allow AR's.  (that's kinda like saying, we have a public drag strip open to public, but don't allow Good Year, Firestone, or Michelin tires on our asphalt)

Abilene might be a bit far away for me but 400 yards might be worth the drive.

If you are willing to drive to Abeline for 400 yards, there is an outdoor range outside of Waxahachie that has up to 1200 yards.  You must be a member to access the longer ranges.  The rest of the range is open to the public for a fee.

http://www.ettsgunrange.com/

I have shot there a time or two.  They have nice facilities.  There are 20+ (maybe 30) individual bays that are open for pistols and short rifle shots out to 100 yards.  There are no range officers breathing down your neck.  You are not right next to anyone.

Here is a picture of the bay I shot in.  Not all are this long.  Some are pistol only.  They have one that is almost completely enclosed with berms so you can practice shooting on the move in most any direction.

IMG_20200501_104815.thumb.jpg.98c2aee340a6f3950d21e8a18ef3172f.jpg

It is a little more than an hour away from me.  With my limited free time, it is not worth the price of a membership.  I would not get my money's worth from it.

Thanks Armed Eye Doc.  For 1200 yards it  could be worth driving a little while.  I'll investigate membership fees etc.  Looks like a couple hours from here.  Not sure it would be a good thing for me as I would probably not be able to make a day of it often but I guess that depends on the membership fees. 🙂

Thought I had replied to this already but I must not have sent.

8 hours ago, Tack14 said:

Thanks Armed Eye Doc.  For 1200 yards it  could be worth driving a little while.

You can do 1200 yards for free, if you want to drive to "south of Phoenix, AZ" and shoot where I shoot.   The 1760 is free, too.  We can go longer, if we want.  It's just a matter of setting it up, and having enough gun to do it.  :thumbup:   Right now, we only have two .300 Win Mag guns doing the mile, but I'm gonna risk it with the .260 Rem sometime soon.  For the Win Mags, we're talking about setting up 2k yards, just to see what happens with them.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...