• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Texas shooters

Madhouse

Hi guys iam up in the Texas Pan Handle near lubbock I have a new rifle range opened up here two weeks ago thats going to be opening up to 600 yards soon at the moment iam shooting in Clovis New Mexico as they have a range thats open everyday and goes out to 350 yards.

I cant believe how many of you live near to lake Fork iam formally from the uk and a big carp angler and have been fishing for the elusive 40 pound carp for twenty years I cant wait to go and fish lake Fork.

I've got some land in Emory that's been in the family since July 20, 1869.  I retire in 15 months and I am planning on building a little place there for the specific reason of fishing in Lake Fork.  Simply cannot wait to see what all I can pull out of that lake.   :))

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha, no, no sales pitch here.  I'm a member of a private club (Bayou Rifles).  We have two ranges, one is at Eldridge Parkway and I-10 and the other is down by 288 and the Beltway.  The one in Addicks Reservoir is pistol and rimfire rifle.  The one down south has shotgun, pistol and rifle ranges at 100, 200, 300, 600 and 1000 yards.  The one at Eldridge and I-10 is handy to the NW part of town and we have steel silhouettes for pistol bullseye or rimfire rifle and a few short-work pistol ranges, very nice to get away from the idiots of the general public.

It's $140 / year.  For me, it's like 5 miles away and worth every penny to be able to go whenever I want and have only other members shooting around me.

<thumbsup>

Sounds like a great deal here with the 1000 yard range.  I'd be interested in joining that, if possible.  Please send me some information, if available.  I'd be glad to pay the fees to access such distance.   :))

It seems there was a muzzleloading club that had a small range affiliated with the Bayou Rifles some years ago but I don't know what happened to them (???).

Might be a bit of a drive from where I am in Pasadena but since I retire in about 15 months I'll have all the time I need.

Thanks - God Bless   :))

I've followed this topic from start to finish and haven't seen any info on a range north of Mingus Texas (65 miles west of Fort Worth) Tactical Pro Shooting Center. Saw their web page. Facilities include a 1000 M range.

Anyone been there or shot there?

I sent an email, haven't received a reply yet. It is about 45 miles from home.

• 3 weeks later...

Brand new to group. Live in Corpus Christi. We have a nice indoor range 2 blocks from my apt. Charges $10 an hr, rifle or pistol.  Have an outdoor range close to me also, They charge $10 per gun. I don't know the length of the rifle side I have only used the pistol side of it.

Hey all,

I'm out west of Houston, I do most of my .308 shooting at American Shooting Center, but some at a private range south of town.

Could you PM me with further information please?  I'm east of Houston and there is no long distance range here beyond 100 yards.

Could you PM me with further information please?  I'm east of Houston and there is no long distance range here beyond 100 yards.

I'll help you out with this - the "private range" is probably private, and Madhouse has a connection, so that part would be out, for you.  However, here's the information on the American Shooting Center:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=American+Shooting+Center

I thought you might have been talking about the Bayou Rifles or some club with a similar name that was out west off I-10 somewhere.  You ever been to that place out your way?  I checked them out with your link but they did not say what the max distance is for the rifle range.

Edited by GRA

• 3 weeks later...

What is that, a warthog?

That's damn sure what it looks like!  Mack, is that something that's supposed to be in Tejas?  How the FUK did that bastard get there?!

Pin it to the ground with a long spear - just like the natives would do in it's home country... 

Some Texas exotic animal rancher imported some for his ranch and of course they migrated.  A wildlife researcher saw this one while taking a wildlife survey and filmed it from a chopper.

Edited by mrmackc

Yep ... that's how we got all of our exotics here.  A good friend of mine shot a huge Red Stag several years ago on the Y-O ranch.  Red Stags sure as hell aren't native to Texas ... LOL

I really think some of this should be curtailed.  I cannot imagine why we would ever want to allow warthogs in Texas.  Nasty pack-running little buggers that will no doubt become a constant and uncontrollable pest like all the pythons and boas released in the Everglades in Florida and the lab monkeys that escaped several years ago from a lab in our hill country.

A cousin of one of the members of a deer lease I used to have got attacked by one of those things.  Supposedly he had just gotten out of his deer stand, which was a box blind only about 4 ft. off the ground.  He had just taken a few steps and something jumped on his back with some sort of loud yell.  Scared him so bad he dropped his weapon and ran and wouldn't go back for it by himself.  Supposedly whatever jumped on his back was equally as scared trying to hold on to him while he was making' tracks and finally let go.  When asked he said he never really saw what it was that well because it was getting dark but said it definitely was a monkey.  Some of those things were supposedly used in disease research so there's no telling what they would transfer to you via a good bite.

The old land owner warned us about the monkeys and loaned us a Marlin .22 rifle to shoot any we saw. He said some Fed health bunch on adjacent property was raising them and when Reagan defunded the project they abandoned the property and some of the monkeys escaped. It took several years of trapping and shooting to eradiccate the nasty creatures.

Man..I knew something was askew with the force....its you in SA.....  :) Wash

I feel the same way pretty frequently.  I've never really lived anywhere outside of Colorado for more than a month or two, so it's pretty weird still.  Would rather have gotten to move to Washington, TBH, but that will happen later.  In the meantime, Texas is a pretty cool state, with a lot of unique opportunities.  Had to retake the CHL class due to Texas law, even despite the open carry stuff.  Fubbed a shot, and missed making perfect though.  Can't wait to try out the 308 here.

I have been a firearms instructor (NRA Rifle, pistol, shotgun, hunter safetry) but didn't want all the crapola that went with being a CHL instructor.  I was a student in the first class held in West Texas.  I shot fairly well using a borrowed .45 Govt. Model. The instructor asked if I wanted to list my shooting score or just list as "passed" because if a court case came up concerning my shooting skills, it is hard to defend a lethal shot when the defense says that with your "Expert" shooting skill you could have shot to wound rather than to kill. Besides the less information you have to provide any branch of government is better. I learned that in the USMC, never admit that you can ride a stick horse, tricycle, bicycle or a car or a truck  they will make you a company runner or a wheelbarrow operator.