Texas shooters

Madhouse

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a couple hours East of Dallas.  Do most all my shooting on private land, a range my bro & I set up.  We have targets @ 50, 100, 200, 300, 400 & 1000yds. Can't say that I've ever shot at a public range, but I work mostly around the Dallas area so that might change in the near future.

Thanks for the info on the range we are going to Lubbock on the 18th grandson's high school engineering robotics team is participating in a competition event on Saturday February 20th at Frenship High and invited us to attend. We haven't attended one of his competitions so we are going to this one their teams are hosting.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on the range we are going to Lubbock on the 18th grandson's high school engineering robotics team is participating in a competition event on Saturday February 20th at Frenship High and invited us to attend. We haven't attended one of his competitions so we are going to this one their teams are hosting.

mrmackc, sir, giving heed to your honorable history of NRA instruction (especially for the kids, IMHO) (and the fact that you're a Texan like Wash & I) could you be so kind as to to offer your advice for someone trying to utilize the capabilities of a BDC reticle scope? I have a Nikon 2.5x10 Prostaff 5 in BDC and use the Nikon website's app to record the ballistics info about individual loads used, to know where that particular load will fall on the scope's BDC reticle indicators (what ARE those little circles below centerpoint called ANYWAY??? lol)

I know the first circle below centerpoint can be zeroed for 100yds or 200yds, and if I zero to 200 then Nikon's app info might place the round as landing at 192yds (for example). If you were lining up for a shot using the BDC, how much mental calculation would be going into estimating the actual impact point between those little circle?s (windage being another subject for my purposes here) Or, do I have even a rudimentary understanding of how to properly use a BDC and what advice would you have about it? Also, what are your favorite optics for precision shooting?

What I do is because of my experiance and bases on my USMC training with the M1 Garand rifle iron sights adjustments.

For example"

Sighting in I boresight the rifle for 200 yards zero, shoot at 100 yards adjust elevation and windage to get on at 200 yards. use the Federal Ballistics tables to test fire at 200,300,and 400 yards, log the data in my rifle log book, compare it with the ballistic table. I then Check out the BDC  on my Bushnell .223 (basically same trajectory as my Federal 7.62X51 150 gn MK319) and then using the instructions with the scope. I checked each dot at 400 yards and it alppears that the 200 yard zero will shoot close using the dots for hold over without having to adjust the elevation and windage knobs.

Bassically I log my shooting data in my rifle logbook. The bushnell BDC scope is the first BDC scope I ever have owned and I did a lot of reading to compare to what actually happens on the range, I am still uncertain about using the BDC reticle for hunting, as I have used the mental picture of what I see in the sights (apparent size of target to estimate hold over)  I seldom tke a shot at a deer, hog or coyote over 200 Yards.

My experiance of long range shooting is using my .3006 sporterized Springfield 03A3 or my M1 Garand in .3006 beyond 400 Yds. and I am pretty much a two rifle shooter for shooting paper or hunting, I am just getting into shooting the LR308/7.62X51 maybe I will become a three rifle shooter.

My Bushnell BDC reticle:  I use crosshair for 200,first dot for 300, next one for 400.

I have not mastered which dot is which without taking some time to go down to the right dot quick enough to really be efficient using it. I am sure the guys training with one day in and day out like them, I'm not too crazy about it, myself.

31pKYh-b-qL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by mrmackc

Here is the log book that I print and have used for myself:

[PDF]

COMPETITIVE RIFLEMAN'S DATA BOOK (3591) - inlex.net

Thank you sir. Live recorded range data is certainly better than a web app, the app is just a starting guideline for a rookie like me. When I put a scope on a target and it hits 9" diagonally off center, you can see my eyebrow do a twitch like the old cartoon deputy dog saying "duh which way did he go?!" But gotta respect the men who put in the time and duty you have. Best Regards

When you shoot on the range call your shot ,be honest, watch carefully when you are taking up slack in the trigger calling the sight will be a clue about why the round didn't impact the bull because of flinches, jerks, unstable position etc.,etc. But a very big but is everyone needs instruction in marksmanship training from a good marksmanship course. I had been shooting rifles ever since I was eight I am blessed with excellent eye sight and was a fairly decent shot without any formal training.  My training in Marine boot camp made me an Expert rifleman and Marine Corp advanced marksmanship training made me better.  We spent many hours training on sighting and holding a correct picture, position training and sling use, and days on the snap-in range. 

When you shoot on the range call your shot ,be honest, watch carefully when you are taking up slack in the trigger calling the sight will be a clue about why the round didn't impact the bull because of flinches, jerks, unstable position etc.,etc. But a very big but is everyone needs instruction in marksmanship training from a good marksmanship course. I had been shooting rifles ever since I was eight I am blessed with excellent eye sight and was a fairly decent shot without any formal training.  My training in Marine boot camp made me an Expert rifleman and Marine Corp advanced marksmanship training made me better.  We spent many hours training on sighting and holding a correct picture, position training and sling use, and days on the snap-in range. 

Want to know the extent of my US military small-arms training? USAF bootcamp @ Lackland AFB San Antonio TX: 1 day we marched to a firing range, fired a few rounds at a paper target from a 22LR mod AR15 no less, then never saw another weapon that didn't go on an airplane. Never once palmed a handgun, in the military I mean. Dad's shooting instruction (who was an amazing shooter, at paper or fleeing deer) was "If you ain't gonna eat it don't shoot it, unless it's trying to kill you."

I hope my experience of over 65 years of shooting and 6 years of milatary training in the USMC and USMCR ( even USMC reservists were required to qualify with the service rifle one day of 50 rounds pre-qual and one day of Qualifying 50 rounds from 200,300, and 500 yards) and 20 years of teaching NRA Marksmanship to 4H kids from 8 years of age to 18 years of years with BB, 22LR and 20 years of teaching NRA Hunter Safety to 12 years old and up to adults can be helpful to someone.

I will be ready to answer questions and recommend some training suggestions for marksmanship problems.

I hope my experience of over 65 years of shooting and 6 years of milatary training in the USMC and USMCR ( even USMC reservists were required to qualify with the service rifle one day of 50 rounds pre-qual and one day of Qualifying 50 rounds from 200,300, and 500 yards) and 20 years of teaching NRA Marksmanship to 4H kids from 8 years of age to 18 years of years with BB, 22LR and 20 years of teaching NRA Hunter Safety to 12 years old and up to adults can be helpful to someone.

I will be ready to answer questions and recommend some training suggestions for marksmanship problems.

Thank you and fyi I have nothing but respect for you sir. You are the Great Generation and I admire the things you have accomplished for us. When I was a kid I used to go to all the local libraries looking for books about WW2, reading about the things the guys were going through on the inroads to Japan & Germany, in place like Guadacanal, the Solomon Islands or Iwo Jima, France, Normandy and all the rest. I was born into a time of no conflict requiring my assistance but I have a long-standing respect for those who were not so lucky.

There are a lot of technical details to be learned but one thing that seems to elude me most is holding the sights steady on the point of aim, through the need to breathe and squeeze and follow through with a clean trigger pull, and getting the shot off quick enough to not drift back off the point of aim again. Shucks, I find it difficult even when shooting with a bipod much less freehand. Respect to those with real shooting skills.

There are a lot of technical details to be learned but one thing that seems to elude me most is holding the sights steady on the point of aim, through the need to breathe and squeeze and follow through with a clean trigger pull, and getting the shot off quick enough to not drift back off the point of aim again. Shucks, I find it difficult even when shooting with a bipod much less freehand. Respect to those with real shooting skills.

A good NRA marksman training course will include the things that go into aquireing and holding a sight picture whether using glass or iron sights. Use of the sling, getting into a correct position (Prone, Sitting Kneeling or Offhand) and learning to control heart beat movement and the correct breathing process and coordinated trigger squeeze. Many NRA rifle and pistol clubs will have members with military and  LEO marksman instructor training and are willing to tutor shooters and observe  their needs. Of course there are professional training shooting clubs where excellent training is available for a fee. But what the heck, you have already spent good money over the years for rifles and ammo.

A good NRA marksman training course will include the things that go into aquireing and holding a sight picture whether using glass or iron sights. Use of the sling, getting into a correct position (Prone, Sitting Kneeling or Offhand) and learning to control heart beat movement and the correct breathing process and coordinated trigger squeeze. Many NRA rifle and pistol clubs will have members with military and  LEO marksman instructor training and are willing to tutor shooters and observe  their needs. Of course there are professional training shooting clubs where excellent training is available for a fee. But what the heck, you have already spent good money over the years for rifles and ammo.

+1

Even though I am a NRA Certified Rifle Shooting Instructor, I recommend most people that already own a rifle take an Appleseed shooting clinic.  Two very solid days on marksmanship and history.  

The NRA course covers rifle types, function, types of sights and optics, how they work, ammunition and its function and construction, types of bullets, AND marksmanship.  The course is very compressed.  You will learn how to hit a target but it isn't two days on the range, putting lead downrange.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Cow pasture pool.........This might not be very funny to some of you fellers, but it shore wuz to me!!!

12644901_10153938312975742_5319031902909

That brings back memories of shooting the bull in the nuts with a BB gun from outside the fence while my brother was inside the fence.....maybe I need on of those "I'm an A$$hole" signs for myself?????

Edited by jtallen83
grammer

13 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

That brings back memories of shooting the bull in the nuts with a BB gun from outside the fence while my brother was inside the fence.....maybe I need on of those "I'm an A$$hole" signs for myself?????

Don't know where you were, or how old, but every one of us with a brother has a perfect mental image of that one!  ROFLMAO!

Actually, shooting under a bull pasture 3 wire barb wire fence with a Daisy Red Ryder was how I learned and perfected my prone position, and just as importantly how to quickly arise and haul ass!...of course I had two younger brothers and I taught them the finer points of pissing on the electric fence. Only one session of OJT made them fast learners! I did lie to them just a bit when I told them it would shut off the electricity. They really never completely believed me ever since......

Had to come back to review mrmackc's comments on sighting & scope adjustments. Think I've already caught most of it with the printer but sometimes I like to reminisce. Priceless stuff, mostly because it comes from a real hero (a Marine). Can't buy that at the corner store.

On March 1, 2016 at 7:26 AM, Frankh252 said:

Want to know the extent of my US military small-arms training? USAF bootcamp @ Lackland AFB San Antonio TX: 1 day we marched to a firing range, fired a few rounds at a paper target from a 22LR mod AR15 no less, then never saw another weapon that didn't go on an airplane. Never once palmed a handgun, in the military I mean.

+1 ... (EXACTLY the same here)

1 day of "dry fire" and 1 day of "wet fire".  "Wet fire" was accomplished using a .22 rimfire adapter system in the M16A1.  Full auto was absolutely prohibited.  

NO HANDGUNS WERE EVER EVEN SEEN ... LOL

I went through the whole 4 year enlistment with my weapons card stamped "Orientation only - individual not qualified to bear arms".  Never again fired any USAF-issued weapon on a firing range.

Which of course, was a major reason why I only gave them 4 years.

As sad as it is pathetic.

Edited by GRA

1 hour ago, GRA said:

+1 ... (EXACTLY the same here)

1 day of "dry fire" and 1 day of "wet fire".  "Wet fire" was accomplished using a .22 rimfire adapter system in the M16A1.  Full auto was absolutely prohibited.  

NO HANDGUNS WERE EVER EVEN SEEN ... LOL

I went through the whole 4 year enlistment with my weapons card stamped "Orientation only - individual not qualified to bear arms".  Never again fired any USAF-issued weapon on a firing range.

Which of course, was a major reason why I only gave them 4 years.

As sad as it is pathetic.

One of our guys actually pulled the muzzle behind the red-line & pointed it down the line at the rest of us while telling the instructor he had a jam. The word ballistic does not begin to describe where the instructors went, lol. I don't remember dry-fire day, just some classroom stuff going over interesting technical info that I remember almost nothing about. Seems like I recall a long march all the way across the base for a half-day in class near the range then the long march all the way back across the base after plinking our few 22LR rounds after afternoon chow. Sure wasn't what I expected after reading all those books & seeing all those movies about WW2, Vietnam & Korea