Texas shooters

Madhouse

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been a firearms instructor (NRA Rifle, pistol, shotgun, hunter safetry) 

I've thought about getting some NRA and NMLRA certifications such as this but never had the time.  I may pursue it when I retire in about 13 months.

My wife and I resurrected a 4H shooting club in  the Texas panhandle  and applied for the first NRA instructors school at the NRA Whittington ranch at Raton NM in 1977 for a nominal fee of only $50 each. We made it a family vacation for two weeks, camping in our R.V. and in our off time we explored this wonderful facility in our 1962 IH Scout. It was a blast.  I doubt that I would ever again have such an opportunity. We also got to attend the Gunsmith School in Trinidad College in Trinidad Colorado.

So you are also a BP muzzleloader shooter, great. I built and shot a .50  Hawken style rifle as part of my gunsmith training. It has been in the gun safe for 30 years except for an annual cleaning

Edited by mrmackc

I've always wanted to go to the Whittington Center but so far I've never had the chance.  Never been to Raton, Angel Fire, nor Taos neither but I plan on it once I retire.  These are some of my "must do" activities I've thought about.

Yes, I've been a longhunter since my teens.  To date, I've never killed a deer with a modern cartridge.  Always a patched .45 caliber round ball.  Will most likely hunt that way until the time I pass.

Spent 30 days once in Alamos, CO and went in to Trinidad often but never knew there was a gunsmithing school there.  Got a younger 2nd. cousin that lives somewhere around there.  That school sounds like it would be a blast to attend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gents, in Plano here. I explored the site a while back for help with my first build, and it was a huge help! I'm just now finding some time to dig in to some of the rest of the site, and found this thread. Glad to see TX represented!

I have a 100 yd range set up on my parents property, and that's where I've done most of my shooting recently. I've shot pistols at the Bullet Trap in Plano...not a big fan of in door ranges. I've shot at Elm Fork in Dallas, mostly thier clay courses. A friend of mine recently joined the ETTS Gun Range near Waxahachie, and they have a 1200 yd range. Hoping to get out there later this summer.

I grew up near Lubbock, and did all of my shooting there at Rustic Range about half way between Idalou & Slaton on FM 400. That's private now as well, and they're set up for long range shooting (I think out over 1500 yds). I'm headed there after the July 4th to stretch out the rifle I finished a couple of months ago.

I'll post some pics over in the build section this weekend. Happy shooting!

Texans ... Speaking of Texas (heads-up this coming November) and the right to hunt and fish in Texas:

The Right to Hunt and Fish
Proposition 6
On November 3rd Ballot
Texas Secretary of State 
Carlos Cascos 
Draws for Placement on 
 November 3rd Ballot 

This morning in Austin, Carlos Cascos, the Texas Secretary of State, held a drawing to determine the ballot position for constitutional amendments passed by the Texas Legislature.   

SJR22 by Sen. Brandon Creighton and Rep. Trent Ashby will be listed as proposition 6 on the November 3rd ballot.  Mark your calendars, Members.  This is a must-pass issue! 

Hi Wash, Neighbors indeed.  I'm a little north and east of you near legacy & custer.  Top Gun looks like a nice facility.  We'll have to catch a beer this summer...then maybe plan on shooting when swamp a$$ is less of a problem  :D

Heck yes.... its too hot for sure   the folks at top gun are really nice,,,,and no know it all range officer...kinda pricey 25 bills to shoot

but you get a nice atmosphere   :) Wash

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gents, in Plano here. I explored the site a while back for help with my first build, and it was a huge help! I'm just now finding some time to dig in to some of the rest of the site, and found this thread. Glad to see TX represented!

I have a 100 yd range set up on my parents property, and that's where I've done most of my shooting recently. I've shot pistols at the Bullet Trap in Plano...not a big fan of in door ranges. I've shot at Elm Fork in Dallas, mostly thier clay courses. A friend of mine recently joined the ETTS Gun Range near Waxahachie, and they have a 1200 yd range. Hoping to get out there later this summer.

I grew up near Lubbock, and did all of my shooting there at Rustic Range about half way between Idalou & Slaton on FM 400. That's private now as well, and they're set up for long range shooting (I think out over 1500 yds). I'm headed there after the July 4th to stretch out the rifle I finished a couple of months ago.

I'll post some pics over in the build section this weekend. Happy shooting!

I thought Rustic Range was closed. I used to always go out there but was told it was shutdown.  If you will be going there after the 4th I would love to know some more information about gaining access to the range.  I shoot on public land in New Mexico so if you really want to stretch out the rifle I can show you a few good remote areas. The new Lubbock Shooting Complex has their grand opening this past weekend and its a decent range allowing shooters to stretch out to 600. 

And I really enjoy shooting at Top Gun out by Leonard.  Qualified out to 500 the first day i went. Its a cool little range and I enjoyed shooting the metal plates at 500. 

Thought I would repost this from the introductions page.

Currently living in West Texas and working on my masters in Wildlife Biology/Management.  I am a passionate long range target shooter and bow hunter but have recently decided to venture down the AR path of life.  I have built several long range target bolt action rifles but am looking for something a little different to distract me from writing my thesis.

Just received my first stripped Matrix Aerospace upper and lower and found myself constantly visiting this .308 Forum to get advice so I thought I might as well become a member.  So far I have been really impressed with the community that I have witnessed here and look forward to being a part of it. 

Also would be interested in meeting up with people from Texas or New Mexico to go shoot at  places I have discovered.  Have several pretty awesome spots on Public land that allow shooting at any distance.  Currently I am only comfortable out to 1200 with my bolt action builds but a .338 or 300 win mag build has been on my mind lately. 

Anyhow look forward to learning from and being a part of this community. 

Senditslow

I've always wanted to go to the Whittington Center but so far I've never had the chance.  Never been to Raton, Angel Fire, nor Taos neither but I plan on it once I retire.  These are some of my "must do" activities I've thought about.

Yes, I've been a longhunter since my teens.  To date, I've never killed a deer with a modern cartridge.  Always a patched .45 caliber round ball.  Will most likely hunt that way until the time I pass.

Spent 30 days once in Alamos, CO and went in to Trinidad often but never knew there was a gunsmithing school there.  Got a younger 2nd. cousin that lives somewhere around there.  That school sounds like it would be a blast to attend.

The Whittington Center is an awesome place.  Been there several times and have some buddies up there doing research on mule deer and black bears.  Last three years made trips up there and it never gets old. 

I was fortunate to know Mr. Whittington as an oilman in the Texas panhandle. His gift of his ranch was a blessing to the NRA and it's members. My wife and I attended the first NRA Instructors classes there in 1977. The ranges were freshley bulldozed and included centerfire rifle, pistol, rimfire,trap and skeet. Classroom training was held in a tent there was no housing we camped in our travel trailer with our four kids ranging from six to 18 in a primative setting there were no hookups. During our off time we explored the property in our 1962 I-H Scout 4X4. It was an experience we will never forget. There were 50 instructor-trainees at the school and the head of NRA training and five or six senior instructors, one of which was a senior New Mexico Wildlife Dept. Ranger

Edited by mrmackc

OK folks in the Corpus Area ... this is from the Texas Carbine Match folks at their Starry range:

Texas Carbine 3Gun Match Reminder

Get Ready!  This Sunday, July 5th is our monthly 3-Gun Match!  It will consist of 4 original courses of fire, and one 3Gun Nation Classifier, (Long Run 2). 

The stages will have options on how you can shoot them, so your round count could vary. You should be safe with 65 rifle, 65 pistol, and 60 birdshot #6 or smaller, lead shot only.  The dog days of summer are upon us, be sure and bring plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.  Stages will be fast and fun.  Let all your friends know, the more the merrier! 

As always, the stages on match day may vary slightly from those you see online so please, read the hard copy stages closely on match day to avoid confusion and thanks in advance. 

If you have questions, please see our FAQ page and if the answer isn't there, email us

The weather forecast shows some chance of rain most every day this week so we'll play that game as we get closer to the weekend. But, just to be on the safe side, be sure and check your email and/or the club website before heading to the range on Sunday. 

If you can lend a hand with stage set up on Saturday, it will be VERY much appreciated AND you'll get a $5 discount for the match. 

The stages can be viewed on our Forum's " Monthly TC Match Info and Discussion" board. 

Hope to see many of you this Sunday...

The TC Gang 

---------------------------------------------------- 
Standard Texas Carbine Match Times: 

SATURDAY SETUP 
Breakfast ( Taqueria Jalisco - Wooldridge/Cimarron) at 0800 
Out to the range around 0915-0930ish 

SUNDAY 
Breakfast (same place as Saturday): 0700 
Out to the range around 0830 
Sign-up: 9:30am 
Shooter's Mtg: 10:00am 

-- 

3Gun Matches - 1st Sunday at Starry
Tactical Carbine Matches - 3rd Sunday at Starry
Tactical Shotgun Matches - Quarterly

Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship - Annual Major Match 
texascarbine.com
piratesoftexasmatch.com
info@texascarbine.com

Edited by GRA

Here's another one I got today via e-mail from the Texas State Rifle Association.  This event sounds like fun so I thought so of you may be interested.  

Here it is:

"The Texas State Rifle Association fights for your gun rights in the halls of political power. Equally important, the TSRA nurtures our state's unique gun culture through youth programs, educational events, scholarships, competitions and more. Continuing our commitment to defending, extending and celebrating your Texas gun rights and heritage, we've teamed-up with the 2015 Texas Firearms Festival.

This year's Texas Firearms Festival will be on November 14 and 15 at Best of the West Shooting Sports in Liberty Hill (NW of Austin). The organizers have signed-up over 30 major firearms manufacturers for the "come and shoot it," free-ammo, buy-what-you-try event. Exhibitors include Smith & Wesson, SIG SAUER, IWI, STI, Daniel Defense, Bergara, Noveske, Walther, Henry Repeating Rifles and many, many more. More than 50 companies will be selling firearms-related products and services in the Firearms Festival Retail Village. 

Your TSRA will be there, signing-up new members and touching base with existing supporters. This year, TSRA and the TSRA Foundation is sponsoring the Range Safety Officers (look for their orange shirts!) and The Competition Zone, where professionals and the public will compete on Action Targets' dueling trees for fun and prizes. With some 3000 shooters expected to attend (and more non-shooters), we believe that the 2015 Texas Firearms Festival is an excellent venue for the TSRA to promote our mission and expand our reach. 

We'd like you to join us at the 2015 Texas Firearms Festival, to enjoy the rights we've fought so hard to restore and protect. To show their appreciation, the Texas Firearms Festival is offering TSRA members a $5 discount off a standard shooter ticket. Simply click on the Eventbrite ticket purchase page. Then click on the "Enter promotional code" link toward the bottom of the box of ticket types. Enter the code "TSRA" in the box that appears and click "Apply." From there, select the discounted Saturday Shooter or Sunday Shooter (or both) tickets you'd like to purchase, and click "Register." Done!

One more thing: the Texas Firearms Festival is an open carry event. If you'd like to carry your sidearm ahead of the January 1, 2016 effective date, please feel free to do so. And we'd appreciate it if you'd wear a TSRA T-shirt and/or hat to help promote all the hard work we do on Texas gun owners' behalf. For more information about the Texas Firearms Festival please contact lee@texasgunfest.com. "

Hi Tom welcome aboard !  yep...I like targetmasters too...darker than a back alley though...good for testing ,and nothing else much. you got one of the best ranges in N. Texas right up the road from you bout 20 miles north..prolly closer than Garland....Top Gun shooting  near Leonard...thats where we go for fun. good lookin rig you have

:) Wash