• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First Pig

NTXshooter

Yea, the flavor is no where near domestic pork.  I don't even mess with a boar unless it is a small one.  Sows are better but still taste different.  Nobody in my family but me want to eat them.  Robocop is right, make sausage and add fat.  I shoot them more for eradication than meat.  They tear the heck out of the wheat fields on my lease.  I think they have destroyed at least 8-10 acres of wheat so far this year.

Congratulations! That is my goal, but I gotta travel to find some wild pigs, too many pork loving predators around here. I have cooked some florida shot wild pig. Worked pretty well. I brined it with a cup of salt to two gallons of water for 24 hours. Then plan on slow cooking it like you would a pork shoulder. I usually sear the meat then cook it in a covered roaster, coated with BBQ sauce, for up to 14 hours at 225 degrees. The brining adds moisture to the meat and makes up for the lack of fat. Slow cooking breaks down the connective tissue. Covering it retains the moisture. Give it a try and let me know how it works.

Yea, the flavor is no where near domestic pork.  I don't even mess with a boar unless it is a small one.  Sows are better but still taste different.  Nobody in my family but me want to eat them.  Robocop is right, make sausage and add fat.

Does this mean wild pigs make good bratwurst? Yummy. Boil 'em in beer and fire up the grill!

Yea, the flavor is no where near domestic pork.  I don't even mess with a boar unless it is a small one.  Sows are better but still taste different.  Nobody in my family but me want to eat them.  Robocop is right, make sausage and add fat.  I shoot them more for eradication than meat.  They tear the heck out of the wheat fields on my lease.  I think they have destroyed at least 8-10 acres of wheat so far this year.

I'd love to come to Texas and help you shoot them the wife and I have always wanted to visit can kill 2 birds with 1 stone lol

Does this mean you shoot 'em and leave the boars for the vultures?

We put one between the eyes of every pig we can, and drag them to an open area for the dogs and birds. They're nothing but a nuisance animal and need to be thinned out.

Sounds bad but they were never meant to be here and they cause all kinds of hell. My buddy sends me video of them around his land In LA keep asking him why the F he ain't shooting them?!

They cause massive crop damage. They have torn up about 20 acres of wheat on the place I hunt. They have rooted so deep that I don't know if the landowner will be able to run a combine over it. It is amazing the damage they cause.

Yea the amount they can do in one night is insane

• 4 weeks later...