• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Brake Options

gnatshooter

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We won't be doing dB measurements. You're correct that in order to do an accurate measurement (both in magnitude and relative) you need some pricey equipment. I do want to get force diagrams by using the accelerometers in my phone to measure the actual muzzle movement in 3 axis.

Edited by FaRKle!

We won't be doing dB measurements. You're correct that in order to do an accurate measurement (both in magnitude and relative) you need some pricey equipment. I do want to get force diagrams by using the accelerometers in my phone to measure the actual muzzle movement in 3 axis.

When the device was designed to handle recoil and that feature is its claim to fame, that approach makes the most sense.

dB measurements would be the icing on the cake.

a db measurement is silly unless you are in some super hi tech lab taking samples 360x360. as we know, no muzzle device short of a NFA controlled one reduces the noise one bit. it's part of the definition. they just send it different directions. a meter sits in one spot. any numbers from such a test can be drastically different just by moving the sensor a few inches. totally pointless.

Then, why don't you drive out to NorCal and assist/supervise the operation?

That would be a great deal of fun. Having looked at a number of different efforts to quantify the differences between various muzzle brakes based on the concussion delivered to the shooter and bystanders, I've found that dB meters designed to measure ambient noise are unable to find a difference between rifle shots, even though bystanders find the difference to be quite obvious.

It takes expensive equipment to measure transient decibels -- basically, shock waves. I don't have that equipment.

Thanks for your excellent idea. Maybe a hefty donation, along with recommendations of equipment vendors, would help you get what you are looking for.

a db measurement is silly unless you are in some super hi tech lab taking samples 360x360. as we know, no muzzle device short of a NFA controlled one reduces the noise one bit. it's part of the definition. they just send it different directions. a meter sits in one spot. any numbers from such a test can be drastically different just by moving the sensor a few inches. totally pointless.

As long as measurements are taken in a controlled environment with established conditions, you should get readings comparable to each other as long as the equipment is able to measure a difference.

It appears to be known that different dB will be experienced, with different muzzle devices, depending on where you stand. So your suggestion that the meter be placed the same place for all measurements is well-taken.

I'm saying unless you plan to shoot from the exact same position, in the exact same place, exactly relative to the shooters around you...the measurement is pointless.

if you qualify the request with "from the shooters perspective" and hang the test device off of your ear, you can get some specific info. other than that, it's a wasted effort and provides no useful info.

Thanks for your excellent idea. Maybe a hefty donation, along with recommendations of equipment vendors, would help you get what you are looking for.

I'm not the one looking for it - you are.  I hope you didn't forget or miss that - that you are the one that brought decibel testing into this conversation... 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, haven't had a whole lot of free time lately with work, class, and my dad's passing. I wanted to have a more controlled test so I drew up plans for a test fixture that takes most of the human out of the equation except for pulling the trigger and placing the rifle against your shoulder. I hope to be able to do it when there's a holiday weekend (where I hopefully don't have class) since the range is about 2hrs from me.

Edited by FaRKle!

Lantac Dragon.

I thought it was BS, I thought it was more youtube marketing magic, I thought my friend was an idiot for spending that much on a muzzle device. I was soooooo wrong. 

I shot his SPR build with one on it. That rifle doesn't move. Part of that is rifle length gas perfectly tuned on an 18in, but there is no jump at all.

Tried it next on a 16in mid length 556 build. It just flat out keeps the muzzle in place as the videos show.

So I bit it and ordered one for my 14.7in 556 build. I swear the faster I pull the trigger the softer it feels. It's definitely enough of an improvement that I am going to order one for my wife's 556 to replace the pws FSC556 currently on it, and will be ordering one for my MK216 at the same time.

My only gripe with it is suppressor compatibility. They have hinted at making a qd can for it, but so far all I hear is crickets.

Edited by Boerboel guy