• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle Brake Options

gnatshooter

Y'all still have to consider -- post #22 above -- that the ATF might consider muzzle brakes like this to be silencers/suppressors. Sure, the manufacturer won the case, while the judge said the ATF was completely bogus in calling the brake a silencer, he also gave the ATF another chance to prove its claim. The ATF might come back and make the judge happy with some claims about muzzle brakes like this.

I personally have a Kaw Valley linear compensator on my DPMS LR308 that redirects the muzzle blast away from the shooter, so the ATF could come after me, too -- after raiding Kaw Valley for their customer list. Sorta like what they did to Ares Arms over their 80% lowers.

Would the ATF like to make the President happy with a big roundup of 'people with assault weapon silencers'? Hm. Considering Operation Fast & Furious, and the Ares Arms abuse, uh, yes.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now thoroughly confused....  ;-)  

Forgive me if this seem rudimentary: Just trying to understand since i don't have experience with all these difference muzzle devices.

I was under the impression that brakes decrease recoil, compensators decrease muzzle flip, flash hiders do just that, and suppressors decrease sound.  

Which of the aforementioned do these "gas re-directors" do well exactly?  

Thanks,

DRD

Edited by D.R.D.

That's a good question . Kinda a fuzzy area as far as Brakes & Compensators are concerned . Even a Sound Suppressor can also be a Brake/Compensator . There are some Flash Suppressors that say they also Compensate/Brake . Very confusing , to say the least .

I am also a PRI fan , the one on my 20" HB works great , but many others out there that also work great . You can tell the difference , by the before & after installation. 

If you look back , the Cutts Compensator on the Thomson Sub Machine Gun , it has only cuts or elongated ports at the top of the Muzzle device & did a good job at redirecting muzzle blast up to compensate muzzle rise, didn't have to worry about a brake on such a heavy firearm shooting a pistol cartridge .

Seems most of todays devices share some of each others traits & do a little of both, brake /compensate.

Flash suppression , well that's a loaded term , mostly because they really don't suppress it, just redirect it, so as not to be seen as much from a different visual perspective .

That's my take on the subject & I'm sure there are many other opinions .

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some muzzle brake technology that's so new, it has no customer reviews yet! This could very well be the ideal muzzle brake for use during a relaxing Memorial Day.

During the rest of the year, the technology might be most useful for those who keep their rifle next to the couch in front of the television.

Edited by gnatshooter

Y'all still have to consider -- post #22 above -- that the ATF might consider muzzle brakes like this to be silencers/suppressors. .

Bull$hit.  John Noveske won that battle for everybody, already.

If it doesn't reduce the decibel level, it doesn't matter WHERE the decibel level is directed.  If it doesn't reduce the decibel level, it's not a "sound suppressor."  Period.

Edited by 98Z5V

It makes you wonder if BATFE is actually doing scientific testing on these devices or just saying it is so & ruling on them , with looks . Its always been what ever the BATFE says , not what it scientifically is . What do they care if some ones sues them , its not money out of there pockets. 

• 3 weeks later...

hey tom...you still have a dynacomp to send them? I'd like to see it knuckle up with the BC. suppose I could pull mine off, but I need to get the scope zeroed up soon.

Nope.  1 is pinned and the other 2 are mounted.

I can grab another one to send - I'm sure I'll use it sometime.  When's the cutoff for this?  When it the shoot/filming happening?

I can just unmount the one on my 300BLK.  Dawn Marie's is pinned.  The other one is on the Ruger GSR, and it's a bitch taking that thing out of the stock and putting it in a vise.  My 300BLK will get stripped.  <thumbsup>

Camera comes in next week. After that I just need to build the holding fixture (but that's easy). Then have to figure out when we can film. I'm hoping either July 4th weekend or end of July depending on when Robocop and Bubbasks are free.

Will you be doing noise comparisons "by ear" or measuring dBs with a meter? I've heard that some meters are not good a measuring transient sounds, such as rifle bangs.