• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

This is why......

shepp

Do this for me, tomorrow, guys.  Watch this one, and think of our recent past, and our WWII past.  It goes further than that, way back in our history, to the French and Indian War, Roger's Rangers, the Revolutionary War, and forward to now...

If you run into someone in uniform tomorrow, 6 June...  thank them.  Tell them you're thanking them because it's the 70th anniversary of D-Day, and they have continued that honor.

Edited by 98Z5V

In Wisconsin we have a program called badger honer flight. They fly WWII vets to the memorial in DC so they can see it. A friend of mine volunteered to help and went along, I need to asked her how she got to be a part of it. When I was at EAA last year the flight was returning during the air show they asked everyone to remove they're hats and wave as they landed, it was pretty awesome.

To the men of Pointe du hoc , I salute you!

Today is the 70th anniversary of the Allied invasion of Normandy during World War II, but a speech given on its 40th anniversary by President Ronald Reagan is one that everyone should hear.

Standing on top of a cliff on the northern coast of France, Reagan detailed the story of the American Rangers, who had to scale sheer cliffs to take Pointe Du Hoc from the Germans, who were shooting down on the them with machineguns and cutting their ropes.

"When one Ranger fell, another would take his place. When one rope was cut, a Ranger would grab another and begin his climb again," Reagan said, to an audience of world leaders and veterans of D-Day at the Ranger Monument there. "They climbed, shot back, and held their footing. Soon, one by one, the Rangers pulled themselves over the top, and in seizing the firm land at the top of these cliffs, they began to seize back the continent of Europe. Two hundred and twenty-five came here. After 2 days of fighting, only 90 could still bear arms."

Roughly four miles from Omaha Beach, where soldiers were also landing on June 6, 1944, Pointe Du Hoc was vital to the American effort, as the Germans had placed heavy artillery at the position that could rain fire down on the beaches.

"These are the boys of Pointe du Hoc," Reagan continued, looking toward the Rangers from that campaign sitting before him. "These are the men who took the cliffs. These are the champions who helped free a continent. These are the heroes who helped end a war."

Now 30 years after Reagan finished his speech, and 70 years from that terrible day in World War II, his closing remarks still ring true:

"Strengthened by their courage, heartened by their value [valor], and borne by their memory, let us continue to stand for the ideals for which they lived and died."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ronald-reagan-pointe-du-hoc-2014-6#ixzz33ue1yJXe