• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What kind of holster do you like for CCW?

SWshooter

I've been looking at holster makers for a new rig for my Delta Gold Cup that I'm expecting back from the gunsmith any time now. I was curious as to what your preferences are in CCW leather (or plastic, nylon, etc.). I've got a Kramer IWB with a steel clip that fits both my 39 and my 3914. It is probably the best holster I've got. I've had it for at least ten years and it's still like new. I wear it a lot, pretty much daily. I also have a couple Safariland's that are very good,and a bunch of Alessi's that work OK but I'm not really thrilled with. I don't really like nylon or plastic, never had much luck with them. I've used shoulder holsters and cross-draw rigs, but pretty much settled down to IWB appendix carry as being the most comfortable and most practical. I'm trying out a new holster called a Kangaroo Carry and it is actually a very good deep concealment holster. I'm going to try carrying the 5" Delta in it to see how practical it is for a big gun. What's your daily carry rig ?

I carry with my 1911 in a soft-leather holster just behind my right hip, muzzle angled towards my left butt cheek so that the grip lays parallel to my back. It's terriffic concealment and it's an amazingly natural grab considering how high the gun is being carried. I like molded leather shoulder rigs too, but I don't wear a coat often enough to justify it.

Are you comfortable spending a few coins?

Mernickleholsters.com

His stuff is awesome. I have a high ride hip holster for my maverick 357 derringer and a Springfield Champ Oper. I want a crossdraw for my TRP Operator. I'm 260#, so I have little/no problem concealing a 5 incher. It's just a tad too long to stuff in the front of my pants... Comfortably.

I've been looking at Mernickle, it is highly recommended by the Gunblast boys. I actually have Kramer, so I know it's good stuff. I'm 6' 2" and 300 lbs myself, so I have the bulk to carry a 5" 1911 without a problem. Unfortunately I have multiple deteriorating discs that don't allow wearing a tight belt. I find that an IWB that carries the gun fairly low works well. Any belt holster is too easily spotted for everyday carry, though I usually use one during hunting season. Of course, cold weather is easy, it's hot summer weather when you can't really wear anything heavier than a T-shirt, that's the real test for concealment. The ultimate test is a T-shirt tucked into cut-off jeans and no belt. If you can carry a 1911 without notice under those conditions you are a real pro.

Im 6' 230 pounds. Towards the end of last summer I began wearing the shirts and t shirts on this page. Ive spent more time in the shirt than the T shirt. I found it does a great job of not only concealing the weapon but also my belongings. I put the 642 on one side and my wallet and phone on the other for balance.

I bought a pair of concealment underwear that I dont think I have tried yet. See them here

If I'm carrying a single stack gun, I like to carry a a double mag carrier in my left rear pocket. The mags are shorter than the pocket, so they are concealed, the sharp edges don't wear a hole in my side, and it's easily removed if I have to enter a "forbidden zone". I haven't come up with a really good way to carry double stack mags. I usually carry one in my jacket pocket.

If I'm carrying a single stack gun, I like to carry a a double mag carrier in my left rear pocket. The mags are shorter than the pocket, so they are concealed, the sharp edges don't wear a hole in my side, and it's easily removed if I have to enter a "forbidden zone". I haven't come up with a really good way to carry double stack mags. I usually carry one in my jacket pocket.

Yep, agree completely, extra mags are a must when you carry a single stacker.

• 2 months later...

I just received my Mernickle IWB for the 5" Delta. After a couple days of carrying it I have to say it is one of the best holsters I own. It is thin and lightweight and has a good belt clip. The steel reinforcement makes it easy to re-holster. I'm very happy with it, and recommend them highly.

I'll carry either a Sig P220 or P239 depending on my mood and I have found that I like the Blade-Tech UCH above all others.  The Kydex isn't as thick as leather or nylon and this makes it more comfortable.  I also like the fact that the kydex is impervious to moisture.

I just received my Mernickle IWB for the 5" Delta. After a couple days of carrying it I have to say it is one of the best holsters I own. It is thin and lightweight and has a good belt clip. The steel reinforcement makes it easy to re-holster. I'm very happy with it, and recommend them highly.

Bob Mernickle makes some beautiful stuff. I love his work! I own a few of his holsters, mainly because he'll make one for any gun you want. I have a two shot .357 derringer I carry in a little hip holster. Two weeks ago I ordered a special OWB holster made for my TRP Operator (full rail). It should be in the mail any day now.

Bob Mernickle is out near Carson City, NV. But I generally run into him and his family at the Reno Gun Show every chance I get. I'm sure having his wife and daughter there with him help for sales.

If I'm right, his daughter is a SASS quick draw champion.

• 1 year later...

I usually just drop my Kimber ultra carry II in my boot top. or stick it through my belt @ my right kidney.

Although, I do have a very old Bianchi #7  Shadow right hand belt holster for my full length 1911, and a El Paso saddlery Yaqui slide  that fits either.  OH! and a old Safariland horazontal shoulder holster that fits either.

Respectfully

Terry