• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Optic choice for my .308 sbr build project

So the info I've gathered is my 12.5" Leonidas barrel is going to shoot at or around 2400 fps, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea on optics.

Right now I'm looking at Browe combat optic and Trijicon ACOG's.

Here's my concern:

With the ballistics, what is my best choice for sighting? Will the .308 reticle work best? Or is a 300 blk or 7.62•39 a better fit?

7.62x39 might be similar to 300BLK, but 7.62x39 isn't like .308 WInchester.  That matchup won't work out greatly. 

Tough call on what to put on the Leonidas.  Gotta give that one some thought.  Maybe a smaller 1-6x24, or some of the newer 1.5-8x24 scopes out there. 

According to the ballistics of the round and what a ballistic calculator for the Leonidas said it works out to be close. Maybe I did it wrong. Still looking for fixed power though. No variable power scopes preferably, that's why it was initially between the Browe and ACOG.

(I'd totally rip an Elcan after fondling Ron's.... But it's nearly double in price!)

Edited by edgecrusher

They make the fixed power Elcan also dude. They're about half the price of the Spectre line. I've been knocking around the idea for yet another SBR I'm planning on.

Yeah, yeah.......yet another SBR. Even I'm beginning to think that it's too many..........................................................................................................................

NAHHHHHHH!

Brother, if you do a variable mag optic, and end up scoping the thing, run a Leupold (whichever you choose). Contact their custom shop and they'll make marked turrets that match your round/projo weight/mv/drop over distance.  <thumbsup>

Brother, if you do a variable mag optic, and end up scoping the thing, run a Leupold (whichever you choose). Contact their custom shop and they'll make marked turrets that match your round/projo weight/mv/drop over distance. <thumbsup>

He wants the Mk8, of course.... and we should encourage that!