• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Practical Distance?

Off set sights are not BUIS. I wouldn't expect the same performance.

Off set sights were designed for a faster means of target acquisition when transitioning from long to short range targets. Specifically for the time sensitive competition crowd. In that game, accuracy comes second to speed. Much faster to tilt your rifle than it is to dial down your magnification.

BUIS/MBUS were designed for failed optics. A decent set of standard sights will get you to 600m. An advanced set will get you to 1000m.

Ok, I've missed a piece of information somewhere. If the scope gives up the ghost, what then? A time out to remove it???   If you can't see through the scope, you can't do the co-witness routine.   Throw me a bone here, Please  I'm sure it's something obvious, but my brain is ignoring it.

You're not missing anything. You got it right on. Most guys that run BUIS also have a QD mount for their optics. Co-witnessing really only works with 1x optics (ie; red dots and holographics). A decent QD scope mount that guarantees a return to zero will cost about +$200.

I put that $20 set of offset sights (from Amazon) on the 300 AAC and honestly, they work great! Even has the standard M4 type adjustable rear elevation.

Here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/Front-Degree-Rapid-Transition-Backup/dp/B006X9DLQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403762691&sr=8-1&keywords=offset+sight

IMG_20140529_201120.jpg

IMG_20140529_203504.jpg

Edited by shibiwan

Ok, I've missed a piece of information somewhere. If the scope gives up the ghost, what then? A time out to remove it???   If you can't see through the scope, you can't do the co-witness routine.   Throw me a bone here, Please  I'm sure it's something obvious, but my brain is ignoring it.

You're not missing anything. You got it right on. Most guys that run BUIS also have a QD mount for their optics. Co-witnessing really only works with 1x optics (ie; red dots and holographics). A decent QD scope mount that guarantees a return to zero will cost about +$200.

This level of preparedness suggests that scope failures are proportionately common. Are they?

I don't think quality is prone to any failure... I think there's a shitt ton of picatinny real estate on most rifles and some guys thought, "hey, you know what else will fit on here?" Then they made a logical excuse for their double-optic setup.

I'm not dinging the 45° sight set up. I actually like it and have considered it myself. I'm just saying, don't put more into it than what they were designed for. If you want BUIS incase your optics fail, get them. If you want 45° off set sights so you can transition to CQB range targets, get them. Hell, you could buy a 45° picatinny mount and then put BUIS on them... You wouldn't use a 9v in your cell phone, and you wouldn't use a cellphone battery in smoke detector. Just because they have a similar use, doesn't mean they have the same job.

Edited by Robocop1051

I don't think quality is prone to any failure... I think there's a shitt ton of picatinny real estate on most rifles and some guys thought, "hey, you know what else will fit on here?" Then they made a logical excuse for their double-optic setup.

I'm not dinging the 45° sight set up. I'm just saying, don't put more into it than what they were designed for. If you want BUIS incase your optics fail, get them. If you want 45° off set sights so you can transition to CQB range targets, get them. Hell, you could buy a 45° picatinny mount and then put BUIS on them... You wouldn't use a 9v in your cell phone, and you wouldn't use a cellphone battery in smoke detector. Just because they have a similar use, doesn't mean they have the same job.

This guy is Robo's hero:

tacticoolAR15.jpg