• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero Precision M5 upper and lower... .308 receivers

Yep, following closely on the heels of the M4E1 upper receiver, they have released the M5 set - .308 AR sets.  Available in SR-25/DPMS pattern, and in Armalite pattern.

Get some.

m5-dpms-combo-940x300.jpg

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-upper-lower-bundle.html

Lower Receiver Features:
  • Semi-auto M5 (.308) lower receiver (DPMS cut)
  • Machined from 7075-T6 forged aluminum
  • Matte black hard-coat anodized Mil 8625 Type 3 Class 2
  • Marked “Cal Multi”
  • Works with standard DPMS 308 components and magazines
  • Rear takedown pin detent hole is threaded for a 4-40 set screw
  • Bolt catch is threaded for a screw pin (no roll pin needed)
  • Integrated trigger guard
  • Selector markings will work with 45, 60 or 90 degree safety selectors
  • Accepts Battle Arms Development short throw safety selectors, but will work with any standard selector

Upper Receiver Features:
  • Forged from 7075 T6 aluminum
  • Precision machined to our specs
  • M4 feedramps
  • Matte black hard coat anodized Mil 8625 Type 3 Class 2
  • .2795” takedown pin holes (DPMS size)
  • Laser engraved T-marks
  • Accepts standard .308 components
  • Works with DPMS high profile handguards
  • Assembled upper comes with forward assist and port door installed

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody here used there stuff before? Because that is a hell of a deal..

I've used ALOT of Aero Precision receivers for 5.56 builds.  I'd have to count, but probably 10 of their sets.  Never had an issue with any of them, and the machining is perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, they have the M5E1 upper, too - just not on the website yet, as a selectable item.  Pure Badassery, right there...  <thumbsup>

Anyone know what's up with the F/A on these uppers? They look like the type on a M16/AR15 that use a serrated bolt?

post-14633-0-37904100-1406230124_thumb.j

Edited by guruofhotrod

Thanks, Seems the angle is more shallow and the F/A assembly looks like it is set back closer to the stock, like it's little brother?

Compare this:

http://si-defense.com/product/si-defense-308-upper/

to this:

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/upper-receivers/m5-stripped-upper-receiver.html

On the Aero Precision model, the F/A is much further from the ejection port/brass deflector and on the SI model it's incorporated into the brass deflector like several other brands are. I'm considering picking the M5 up and wanted to confirm that all the standard DPMS type stuff will work with it (even though I'll prolly never need the F/A)

Edited by guruofhotrod

Thanks, Seems the angle is more shallow and the F/A assembly looks like it is set back closer to the stock, like it's little brother?

Compare this:

http://si-defense.com/product/si-defense-308-upper/

to this:

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/upper-receivers/m5-stripped-upper-receiver.html

On the Aero Precision model, the F/A is much further from the ejection port/brass deflector and on the SI model it's incorporated into the brass deflector like several other brands are. I'm considering picking the M5 up and wanted to confirm that all the standard DPMS type stuff will work with it (even though I'll prolly never need the F/A)

Hmmm,

Just checked out the .308 BCG on Aero's website : http://aeroprecisionusa.com/spare-parts/aero-precision-complete-308-bolt-carrier-group.html

Sure looks like an AR15/M16 type setup? Could this thing be for a 7.62 x 39 config? I don't see a step on the carrier like every other .308 carrier I've seen. I may have to call them to get this clarified.

Update - They revised the webpage to show a standard DPMS type BCG but, it still won't match the F/A on their upper.

Edited by guruofhotrod

I'm not planning on buying the Aero BCG - I'm checking it out because I'm trying to why the forward assist on their ".308" upper doesn't appear

like any other .308 upper that i've seen (that has a F/A provision) - it looks nearly identical to every AR15 upper that I've seen (once again,

that has a F/A provision) and as pretty much everyone here knows, the DPMS type 308 bolt carrier doesn't have the serrations for the F/A to engage with they use a step down in the diameter to create a "ledge"for the F/A to work against. I've actually had a Shadow Ops BCG on order since the end of March, I'm hoping to see it around the end of August

Edited by guruofhotrod

Guru   so their site said they had one instock....is it BS?   I had a senior moment while i got hopped up on the aero stuff....and  ordered the

shadow ops bcg right then...like this morning....then my meds kicked in and I remembered ive already got a "special" 308 already ordered and its got the bcg with it  ::)    so maybe they dont even have any?  and I can cancel?      :)  Wash  the dumb azz

Wash,

"senior moment" LOL I'm getting a little taste of that myself as I hit 49 this year and I think it's pretty much downhill from here! Try sending EasyEJL a PM to see if he can give you an approximate lead time and if it's unacceptable see if he can help cancel the order.

Edited by guruofhotrod

That was an AR15 BCG pictured in that link, and if you look at the link title, it states AR15 in it.  They had the print underneath as ".308" but that's what's wrong with the page.  That's no .308 carrier at all, but it is an AR15 carrier.

post-7-0-33881900-1406352601_thumb.jpg

Hmm, just opened that BCG page in Internet Explorer and saw the "tab" that says "AR15 Bolt Carrier Group" If you look at the actual url it says 308

and it also refers to it as a 308 BCG in 3 different locations on the page but, I certainly agree that it is an AR15 BCG the lack of a step down on the 

diameter of the body and the way the cam pin is clocked are dead giveaways 

OK, that's what came up when I selected the 308 BCG on their site and I was hoping they hadn't made a special carrier for their upper - I'm still trying to get the story on the upper, that forward assist has me kinda stumped, could it be that they did the same thing with the upper pic that they did with the BCG pic? I called them this afternoon but couldn't get ahold of anyone and had to leave a message, hopefully they'll return my call monday.

See the differences between the Aero and the typical DPMS 308 (I used SI's for an example):

post-14633-0-76178300-1406354623_thumb.j

post-14633-0-29362800-1406354634_thumb.j

Edited by guruofhotrod

See post #19, compare the pic of the SI upper with the one of the Aero - it doesn't look like the forward assist is in the correct location on the Aero to catch on the typical 308 bolt carrier (unless the bolt/round was almost at the bolt catch and then it wouldn't travel far enough forward to get it into battery) it just doesn't look right?

I don't think it's a simple matter of them using a pic of an AR15 upper by mistake since in the listing at SAA it shows the "T" marks going all the way up to T-18 and most AR15 uppers I've seen only go up to T-12

http://www.surplusammo.com/aero-precision-m5-308-stripped-flat-top-t-marked-upper-receiver/

Edited by guruofhotrod

• 2 weeks later...

Just curios....who on this forum bought the Aero Precision 308 upper and lower combo?  I have a topic on this site labeled "Stripped Round will not go into Battery."  Has anyone else that has done a build with this 308 receiver set had any issues related to using PMAGs.  I am waiting on some DPMS steel mags to see if I have the same issues.

See post #19, compare the pic of the SI upper with the one of the Aero - it doesn't look like the forward assist is in the correct location on the Aero to catch on the typical 308 bolt carrier (unless the bolt/round was almost at the bolt catch and then it wouldn't travel far enough forward to get it into battery) it just doesn't look right?

I don't think it's a simple matter of them using a pic of an AR15 upper by mistake since in the listing at SAA it shows the "T" marks going all the way up to T-18 and most AR15 uppers I've seen only go up to T-12

http://www.surplusammo.com/aero-precision-m5-308-stripped-flat-top-t-marked-upper-receiver/

It looks like they have positioned the forward assist on there 308 the same as on a std . AR 15 . The AR 15/16 Bolt Carrier has notches on the lower right side for forward assist to catch on , where most 308 ( not sure on an AR 10 ) the forward assist catches on a lip on the Bolt Carrier.

post-11255-0-51716100-1407320131_thumb.j

If ( as in the Areo ) the F/A is designed on the same place as the AR 15 type Receiver , the Bolt Carrier needs some notches like the AR 15/16 Bolt carrier . If not , the FA has nothing to grab to use it . Unless Areo makes there own 308 Bolt Carrier with notches like the AR 15/16 .

This photo shows where the F/A on my DPMS contacts the Bolt carrier.

post-11255-0-36361900-1407320253_thumb.j

Heres a photo where you can see the F/A contacting the Bolt Carrier & one with no assist engaged

post-11255-0-74626500-1407320679_thumb.j

post-11255-0-93996800-1407320960_thumb.j

This a early DPMS upper & others may be different , if you get the Areo & use a DPMS or some others ( my Shadow Ops is the same way ) Bolt Carrier , they don't have the notches , like the AR 15/16 Bolt carrier , the Areo F/A will not work .