• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

4" groups not acceptable!!' Help Please

j.peace

Hey guys I didn't mention how I secured my upper so I wanted to show you.

First I cut a chunk of 4 x 4 .

Then I drilled a hole through the center lengthwise.

Next I cut jig in half lengthwise.

Then I scribed the two halves for fairly snug fit.

Picture is from initial assembly. Not shown I fastened 2 piece's of hard wood 1 x 4 's and fastened them to sides that vice squeezes.

It held great in heavy duty old school lion head vice. With no damage to finish.

post-14859-0-72441000-1405982641_thumb.j

Edited by j.peace

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? Who gave me advice on what? I was not seeking advice, nor did I note anyone giving advice to me; though my advice to the OP was disputed by someone else.

Indeed, the post to which I referred was aimed at J. Peace and not you. Complete misunderstanding on my part. I've been spending too much time wading through the figurative feces lately and I'm still in that frame of mind. Carry on!

Picture is from initial assembly. Not shown I fastened 2 piece's of hard wood 1 x 4 's and fastened them to sides that vice squeezes.

It held great in heavy duty old school lion head vice. With no damage to finish.

As a wood guy you get a a+ way to go brother out the box!!

Was there something inside the receiver to keep it from being flexed or crushed ?

So, please expound upon your actual combat experience...

There it is. You're "that guy." The one who questions the person instead of the data provided. How much does a person's experience matter if the data is factual? Facts are facts, regardless of who presents them; whether it be a three year old child or an octogenerian, or someone with physical experience vs. someone with technical experience vs. someone with Holiday Inn Express experience. Facts still remain facts. Continue your attacks if you feel that will somehow change facts. Suum Cuique

But since you seem to like being the old lady who cannot stay out of your neighbor's business:

Iraq/Kuwait 1

South America (Panama/Columbia/Venezuela)

One other

Don't worry though, I won't ask about any of your relevant experience, because it doesn't make any difference. Only the facts do.

I'm done here.

Was there something inside the receiver to keep it from being flexed or crushed ?

The wood jig fit snugly around upper.

The wood block fully enclosed upper so some pressure from vise was transfered directly to wood. While some pressure was on upper I don't think anything on upper was damaged or deformed. 300 rounds through it and I've had one fail to eject while next round was chambered.

There it is. You're "that guy." The one who questions the person instead of the data provided. How much does a person's experience matter if the data is factual? Facts are facts, regardless of who presents them; whether it be a three year old child or an octogenerian, or someone with physical experience vs. someone with technical experience vs. someone with Holiday Inn Express experience. Facts still remain facts. Continue your attacks if you feel that will somehow change facts. Suum Cuique

But since you seem to like being the old lady who cannot stay out of your neighbor's business:

Iraq/Kuwait 1

One other

Don't worry though, I won't ask about any of your relevant experience, because it doesn't make any difference. Only the facts do.

What did you think of South America ?  Wonder if the peoples attitude has changed since I was there in 71-72 . That's 1971-72

Edited by survivalshop

Iraq/Kuwait 1

One other

I'm done here.

Nope, I'm just "that guy" that keeps wondering about the person that always has to interject or include "in actual combat..."  or  "In combat, we..."  or something like "in sniper training, we..." or "our snipers..."

I'm "that guy" that happens to find those that draw attention to themselves.

You're one of those people...

He asked if because they recommend having your bcg in the upper, but it seems you've done alright. Just be careful of that in the future

Ive always heard of people doing that and never understood it.  Unless your BCG has a .0005 fit what is it really doing to support the upper?

I mean if you really crank the snot out of the vise it would bottom out on the carrier which is not a good thing anyway , but the rifles Ive handled always had a decent amount of clearance between the carrier and upper?

Ive always heard of people doing that and never understood it. Unless your BCG has a .0005 fit what is it really doing to support the upper?

I mean if you really crank the snot out of the vise it would bottom out on the carrier which is not a good thing anyway , but the rifles Ive handled always had a decent amount of clearance between the carrier and upper?

I don't know. I know that the tolerances aren't super tight but there has to something to it. Maybe that small clearance allows the aluminum to flex but not permanently bend?

Nope, I'm just "that guy" that keeps wondering about the person that always has to interject or include "in actual combat..."  or  "In combat, we..."  or something like "in sniper training, we..." or "our snipers..."

I'm "that guy" that happens to find those that draw attention to themselves.

You're one of those people...

Those are nice made-up quotes (except for the first one, which is factual and the only quote you got right.)

Interject or include? I simply answered questions people asked following my posts.

If you go back and carefully read my posts, you will note that it was very rare that I wrote "I" or "we" as it pertained to what I was physically doing, including your erroneous quotes. As I stated in my (which is where all of this seems to be emanating from), I build AR-15s, which happen to be by request from others. Now I need to build a 308AR to test before I lay one in the hands of the community who use them in competitions and training, in which I generally participate in as an observer to evaluate my builds. Occasionally I train and compete.

Draw attention to myself (so says the guy with more posts than anyone else)? No. I was simply tying to be detailed in relaying information about the people I serve in the hope of getting a good basis of opinions so as to improve my first build of a 308AR. But instead I get "Dickhead fo the Month" giving me the third degree because he cannot comprehend my posts, or worse, seems to not like what the people I deal with call themselves. Talk about shooting the fucking messenger. Before you start pointing that obviously crooked finger at others, take a good hard look in the mirror.