• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Does using a heavy buffer affect what ammo you can use?

dgtaurus

Depends on how heavy. I experimented with my own 12-oz buffer and found that it would not cycle certain ammo reliably (just a few, Remington Premier 308 WIN Match).

Adjusted the weight down some and I'm down to 11.5oz and it runs like clockwork with everything I've thrown at it since.

The only other thing to watch for is subsonics....

I use the CAR-10 XH buffers in a bunch of my 10 carbines. I've run all sorts of ammo through them. From milsurp M80, to match 175's. I was even using a 10 lower (cause I like the UBR stock) on my SASS for a while (before I built it's dedicated lower). And it ran just fine. Normal or suppressed. It didn't make a difference. I'm in the (slow) process of swapping out all of my buffers to the one's that Clint offers. Rifles or carbines.....they'll all eventually be running his buffers.

We should try to hook up sometime Taurus. Baltimore is just a ride up the BW parkway for me.

Edited by Rsquared

I use the CAR-10 XH buffers in a bunch of my 10 carbines. I've run all sorts of ammo through them. From milsurp M80, to match 175's. I was even using a 10 lower (cause I like the UBR stock) on my SASS for a while (before I built it's dedicated lower). And it ran just fine. Normal or suppressed. It didn't make a difference. I'm in the (slow) process of swapping out all of my buffers to the one's that Clint offers. Rifles or carbines.....they'll all eventually be running his buffers.

We should try to hook up sometime Taurus. Baltimore is just a ride up the BW parkway for me.

Yeah man sounds good to me. Maybe after im done with my build? Where do you shoot at?

I bought a Xtra Heavy Buffer from Clint at heavybuffer.com for my current build. Im almost done with the build now and im starting to look at ammo. Will I be able to use whatever I want or will lighter loads lead to FTF or other problems? Thanks.

It really depends on your gas port size and location... What barrel are you using (length and gas system)?

Its a Rainier Arms Select 308 18" with a mid length gas system. Wilson Combat gas block, DPMS bolt, DPMS gas tube.

I'd imagine that'd be just fine with the heavier buffer. I'll never understand why people make 18" barrels with mid-length gas systems...

Well I originally wanted to get a rifle length gas system but I could not find one for a 18" barrel. I was really hoping to get the fulton 18.5" rifle length but I could not find one anywhere. Ive read rifle length sysyems are by far the most reliable because they give the most amount of burn time. But if Rainier makes them im sure they're good. I dont really care much about the block being exposed but I do want the gas tube to be covered. I want this rifle to be tough and reliable. So I did my best to go with companies and parts that will hold up well. I have no plans on using steel case but I do want to make sure I can shoot a variety of ammo. No mall ninja here.

Edited by dgtaurus

I don't regularly use steel...but I know I can. my DPMS factory target upper wouldn't cycle steel or old surplus. when I built this rifle with a Rainier middy, I did a quick break in, and then ran a few mags of herters junk through it. cycled just fine, so I assume it will eat anything.

Yeah man sounds good to me. Maybe after im done with my build? Where do you shoot at?

I'm down here in "the hood" part of PG county. Outside of the beltway......but waaayyyy too close to DC.

My range is in the Bowie area. We're limited to only 100 yards......but it's better than nothing.

My range is in the Bowie area. We're limited to only 100 yards......but it's better than nothing.

Brother, can you travel south into "forbidden territory" with your stuff?  Some of it, anyway?  Can you shoot it in VA?

I've got a good range for you in VA, if so.  Might be a drive, but bring a cooler and a grill.  I'm just sayin'...

CF Phelps WMA Range.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/range_rules.pdf

Worth your drive, if you don't catch it on a busy day, brother.  Do the drive.  <lmao>