• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

500 Yard Ranging

I have a question regarding setting up for a 500 yard Competition.

Can I use a ballistics program and enter the following parameters Bullet Weight, BC , sight over bore , etc and use 500 yards as the sight in distance.

Calculate a firing solution based on the criteria I've given and use the 100 yard rise value to set up the scope for the 500 yard shot.

By that I mean at 100 Yards the bullet is 7.5 inches high.

If I set up my scope so that it shows 7.5 inches high at 100 yards will I be right on at 500 Yards ?

No.

At 500 yards you are looking at a 51 inch drop or so from a 100 used zero. Have you been able to gradually work your way out to test? Or are you trying to find a solution at 100 that will work for five? Have you ever shot that far to practice?

I would think that it would be easier to use you subtensions on your reticle

Edited by edgecrusher

No.

At 500 yards you are looking at a 51 inch drop or so from a 100 used zero. Have you been able to gradually work your way out to test? Or are you trying to find a solution at 100 that will work for five? Have you ever shot that far to practice?

I would think that it would be easier to use you subtensions on your reticle

What Edge sez there are some good apps like shooter out there,but lead down the pipe is what matters

:) Wash

You guys are missing his point.  If you have a 100-yard zero, and you compensate for the drop to hit a 500-yard target, that same trajectory is 7.5 inches high at 100 yards.

The math works. 

If he zeros on a 100 yard target, 7.5 inches high, dead center, he's gonna be damn close with the crosshairs on the 500-yard target.

Fukkin newbs.  :fawkdance: :yup:

Edited by 98Z5V

You guys are missing his point.  If you have a 100-yard zero, and you compensate for the drop to hit a 500-yard target, that same trajectory is 7.5 inches high at 100 yards.

The math works. 

If he zeros on a 100 yard target, 7.5 inches high, dead center, he's gonna be damn close with the crosshairs on the 500-yard target.

Fukkin newbs.  :fawkdance: :yup:

As long as the competition is only at 500 yards, it should work. If you want to seriously compete, you need to get out and validate it with the weapon and specific cartridge/load you are using, as there will be minute variations that become a lot more substantial at 500 yards.

Yes , the math is right , but for what bullet & @ what Velocity. It may get it close , but you will still need to verify by putting lead downrange. 

Assuming your barrel is going to put out a certain Velocity by factory posted FPS , is asking a lot to happen correctly . Now if you Chronograph your ammo , the math may work close to spec's on the Ballistics program .Then all you have to think about is the wind & bullet drift . <thumbsup>

Edited by survivalshop

7.5" high from center of target at 100 yd zero ant going to get you to center at 500yds. It's between 7.5 to 9 inches of drop just to 300yds with a 200yd zero.

Suggest you start at 12.5 to 13.5 minutes up.

The ballistics software shows a 7.5 inch high flight path at 100 yards for the ammo that I am using.

I set the scope up by using a laser bore sighter and placing the cross hairs 7.5 inches below the laser dot.

I set the scope up by using a laser bore sighter and placing the cross hairs 7.5 inches below the laser dot.

Bore sighting will get you close, but you still need to sight in to get it right. If you haven't actually sighted your scope in with rounds down range, there is no way this will work man.

Also, strictly relying on software without any real shooting practice isn't going to work either. The math might, but there are to many variables with you.

Have you grouped any rounds on paper yet?

Yes the math is correct if using a 168... same as a 270 using a 130 3 inches hig puts you dead on a 275 to 300 so at 100 you are dead on but 3 inches high. now that sightin would really only be good for gong shooting as at a close range you would be hard pressed to get a good shot off on a deer or other critter My 7mmSTW with a 139 and 84 grains of H1000 sighted in 3inches high at 100 is dead on at 475 to 500.

I say a lot of "Crazy talk" is going on here. 

Found this in about a minute on the web, look at table one. Takes 13 minutes of elevation for 500yds with a dead on 100yd zero.  Or 13 inches high at 100yds, unless of course 1 inch = 1 MOA has chamged since last weekend.

http://www.ultimatesniper.com/shooting_articles/extended-ballistic-data-for-the-federal-.308-match-round.pdf

Yep, 84 g of H1000 in a 7mm STW will most likely be very flat shooting, I would also say the barrel life is about 1.1 seconds or 1100 rounds, probably a little less.

I say a lot of "Crazy talk" is going on here. 

Found this in about a minute on the web, look at table one. Takes 13 minutes of elevation for 500yds with a dead on 100yd zero. 

He's not talking about a dead on at 500 with a 100 yard zero.

He's talking about whacking the 500.  With a direct whack on the 500, where does that leave you when shooting 100?  7.47" high, at 100 was what I found.

unless of course 1 inch = 1 MOA has chamged since last weekend.

1 MOA still equals 1.047" at 100 yards.

Edited by 98Z5V

+3 lead down the pipe....the best way

oh btw not to hijack the thread <lmao> me and best bud went again to the range..he's still sighting in his 308's that I had input on....so for the second week he sez the 16" Rainier is messed up wont group

blah blah and he's friend sez 16" isnt the right length.... so he's using the m-308 it groups at 100 not at 200 for him...well...its 100 moa gurantee anyway....meanwhile right next to him im shooting the same exact setup...tell him to go look thru the spotting scope at the 400yd steel plate at the upper right bullseye... put 2 rounds touching with the same exact rifle....now he's still not grouping at 200...gimme your rifle please

I put 2 in the bull at 200 then told him to look at the swinger at 300...bang...ping....give him his rifle back

and he sez...."what-sup with my rifle?" I said "its because YOU SUK" <lmao>

highjack over and out :) Wash

I had the competition

as a FYI to everyone I was shooting 750 Grain AMX 50 Cal BMG.

I sighted the rifle in at 100 yards. I had it dead on.

I the ran my balistics calculations for a 500 yard zero using the same load.

This showed at 100 yards the bullet would be 7.5 inches igh.

I then used a laser bore sighter to set the point of impact at 100 yards

to be 7.5 inches high.

I was 10 inches low my first shots at the competition. I then adjusted the scope

up 1.8 MOA.

I was the almost dead on the bulls eye.

I shot a 3 shot group of 1.25 inches

So , this was some kind of test to make fun of us, well I think it sucks , you trying to make us look stupid  . Your on a 308 web sight & you scam us with a 50 cal. Ya I'm laughing , troll. 

I see we are having a lot of these Troll's on this sight , now a days . Hope you had fun with your little trick & if it helps you sleep at night , we were all just trying help .

Edited by survivalshop