• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

16" Barrel Choices...

D.R.D.

·         16” Lothar Walther Polygonal Mid-length 1:10 Melonite  (.750)                                                                         $345  

·         16” BHW Mid or Intermediate-Length Barrel Semi-Bull Contour (.875) with Polygonal Rifling 1:11                 $325 

·         16” Brownell’s 5R mid-length SS 1:10   (.750)                                                                                                  $280  

·         16” Rainier Select Mid-Length Barrel with Polygonal Rifling 1:11  (.750)                                                          $273   

·         16” Ares Armor Mid-length Chrome lined 1:10    (.750)                                                                                     $200 

Which of the above do you think would be the best bang for the buck?  I am looking for accuracy, of course - using 168 or 175gr .308 - as far as she'll go.

LW, then the Rainier. Rainier select barrels are rebranded BHW barrels, but they are 100x easier to get in contact with and deal with. They also have an excellent return policy.

I believe LW barrels come with a matched bolt???

FYI. Every once in a while Fulton Armory puts out a 16" rifle length Criterion barrel. A few if the guys here have that barrel. I kick myself every time I miss them.

You could always cut down an 18.5" and thread it. Dont know how bad you really want one though.

That's the next plan. I'm looking at an AR10T that needs a HUGE weight loss plan. I'm thinking a complete barrel job, cut/crown/thread and flute or recontour. Then maybe turn it into a Dissipator.

BHW told me they'd make 16" in MId, Intermediate or Rifle if you like.  They can do medium, semi-bull or Bull contours, and may be coming out with a 1:10 twist in the near future.  They've been really great to speak with and easy to get a hold of for me.  I know others have had different experiences.

Here's the link:  http://www.shop.blackholeweaponry.com/308-Win-caliber-16-length-AR10-308-16.htm

Who else sells a rifle length gas system on a 16" 308 ? If you have one made , will they make it rifle length ? I know most believe it doesn't work , well sorry to disappoint , mine works fine .

Knight's does.

I modified my MWS SS barrel to a rifle length 16" too.

Edited by FaRKle!

I'm a firm believer that a barrel should have the longest gas system that'll fit.

16" rifle length systems (Fulton Armory) and 12.5" mid length systems (WarSport LVOA) have both been done successfully.

anyone done shorter length barrels? I'm questioning it because sometime in the future i'll end up having a custom one built with an integral suppressor to an overall length of 16-17" but that realistically means around a 9" barrel, maybe shorter

Make it completely custom. Don't put a gas port on the barrel at all. Instead, put the gas tube directly into the suppressor. There should be plenty of compression inside to cycle. Then you'd have an 8" or 9" barrel, and the equivalent of a mid or rifle length gas system.

I wouldnt imagine that would work as the round never "seals" in the baffles of a supressor so you wouldnt really have that much pressure to work with, but I would like to know if it can be done.