• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Quicksand Advice - in case you need it.

98Z5V

You never, never know.  You may need this info one day...  <dontknow>

http://blog.columbia.com/good-to-know-quicksand/?mid=socm

Myth: If you get stuck in quicksand, you will be slowly sucked into a bottomless pit. 

Fact: Although Hollywood frequently depicts victims slowly disappearing into the quicksand before someone has time to save them, most of the time the reality is much tamer. You can not fully sink into this type of soil.

Quicksand is ordinary sand that has become so saturated with water that the friction between sand particles is reduced, making them unable to support any weight. Quicksand most frequently occurs near tidal flats, swamps and marshes, lake shores, and underground springs. A section can be anywhere from a few inches to waist-level in depth. Quicksand can also form after an earthquake releases water from underground reservoirs, causing bridges and buildings to collapse.

When you step or fall into quicksand, you cause the sand particles supported by the water to lose their stability and flow below in a liquid fashion, creating a downward pull. Getting out at this exact moment can be tough, and sometimes requires the force needed to lift a medium-sized car—and any thrashing about from the panic that naturally occurs only makes the situation worse. But don’t worry. Even if you do freak out and wave your arms and legs uncontrollably, you will never fully submerge—you just aren’t dense enough (even if you had a full English breakfast).

According to a study conducted by the University of Amsterdam, the key in this situation is not to panic and just be patient. If you wait long enough, the sand particles settle and the buoyancy of the mixture will cause you to rise up to the top. And paradoxically trying to lie flat will distribute your weight more evenly, encouraging that buoyancy.

So, even if you do end up stuck, feel safe in the knowledge that you are not going to slowly sink until only your hat is left, floating on top of the muck like Gilligan.

But here’s a somber caveat: Even though you may not get completely sucked under the sand, it is possible that you can get stuck—and remain stuck when the high tides return, which—you know—is really bad. If your plans include hiking in quicksand-prone areas, think about bringing a hiking pole or stick with you to test the ground before you step on it.

After all, you may not only find yourself stuck, you’ll find yourself bored without the wacky hijinks of the Professor and Ginger by your side.

Good to know brother! As much rain as we have had up here lately I might run into a spot or two. Lol don't think we have quicksand up here in NE Montana but I have hit spots a horseback where the horse would be up to his belly in mud. I've never got one completely stuck where I've had to walk,but I've been close!