• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Optics - Parallax?

gsmopar

While shopping for optics for my new bolt gun, I stumbled across Hawke Optics.  Their scopes have several features that I really like (Locking focus, windage, and elevation), but I'm not famaliar with the Parallax adjustment.  Amazon black Friday deals were too good to pass up, and I ended up with this bad boy (http://www.hawkeoptics.com/hawke-sidewinder-30-sf-8-32x56-20x-mil-dot.html).  Playing with the side focus parallax seems pretty accurate to the 200 yards that I've tested around the house.  Does anyone else have experience with these type of scopes?

10806250_10152632306924426_8476695119266

9794_10152632306949426_59978902899602111

Is the fine adjustment for the parllax meant to measure distance (range finding)?  The scope came with 2 knobs.  The large one show has finer adjustment from 10 yards - infinity.  I haven't been to the range yet, but I used the Maricopa County Assesor site to mark off 100, 200, and 250 yard objects near my house.  Using the parllax to focus the objects and referencing the distance on the knob; they appear to align.

Yes, I read all the Amazon reviews.  Midway also has some reviews on Hawke, but not this model.  Youtube has a few videos as well, but most are European.  The Black Friday/Cyber Monday (don't remember which) marked the scope down over $200.  If it sucks, I'll return it.  My first impressions are positive (nicer than the Burris on my LR308). 

On a side note, the free software on their website is pretty neat.  Worth a look even if you don't like the scopes. 

Edited by gsmopar

Parallax is essentially an optical illusion.  Parallax presents itself as the apparent movement of the reticle, in relation to the target, when your eye moves off center of the sight picture (exit pupil) or in more extreme cases it appears as an out of focus image. It indicates that the scope is either out of focus or more specifically the image of the target is not occurring on the same focal plane as the reticle. Maximum parallax occurs when your eye is at the very edge of the sight picture (exit pupil). Even when parallax is adjusted for a designated distance, there is an inadvertent error at other distances.  Most brands of scopes that do not have a parallax adjustment are pre-set at the factory to be parallax free at or around 100 yards; rim fire and shotgun scopes are set at or around 50 yards.  Most scopes of 11x or more have a parallax adjustment because parallax worsens at higher magnifications.  Generally speaking parallax adjustment is not required for hunting situations and is primarily a feature used and desired by target shooters.  A 4x hunting scope focused for 150 yards has a maximum error of only 8/10ths of an inch at 500 yards.  At short distances, the parallax effect does not affect accuracy. Using the same 4x scope at 100 yards, the maximum error is less than 2/10ths of an inch. It is also good to remember that, as long you are sighting straight through the middle of the scope, or close to it, parallax will have virtually no effect on accuracy in a hunting situation.

www.opticstalk.com/what-exactly-is-parallax-anyway_topic5026.html
Edited by Zebra644

The speedometer explanation goes a long way.  Easy explanation of what parallax is, but doesn't necessarily explain how it impacts shooting.  Zebra knocked that one outta the park already.

The Speedometer.  You're driving, and holding the Speedo needle straight-up on 60mph.  You can see that easily.  If your passenger looks over from the passenger seat, it will look like the needle is below 60.  That's parallax.

That's also why your wife always gets so pissed when you're driving.  <lmao>

Edited by 98Z5V