• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Can't catch a break

So, after finding out I can't build an AR-10 on the cheap (I'm a former sniper so that makes me more than a little anal about accuracy), I found the Armalite Defender. Under $1000. Super cool. Checked Bud's and it was $903 last week. I'm thinking jump on it. Checked yesterday and it was $946. WTF? So, today I checked and it is $953! So now I am just pissed off. When I calm down (a couple or three days) I will continue my search. In the meantime, my trusty M1a will just get a workout. Look out steel targets and coyotes.

So, after finding out I can't build an AR-10 on the cheap (I'm a former sniper so that makes me more than a little anal about accuracy), I found the Armalite Defender. Under $1000. Super cool. Checked Bud's and it was $903 last week. I'm thinking jump on it. Checked yesterday and it was $946. WTF? So, today I checked and it is $953! So now I am just pissed off. When I calm down (a couple or three days) I will continue my search. In the meantime, my trusty M1a will just get a workout. Look out steel targets and coyotes.

Just wondering, what's holding you to an AR-10 over an LR-308?

OK, let me see. To me, the original is the best. Everything else is just a copy. OEM parts for your car is a pretty good example. But that's just me. At 65, I'm pretty set in my ways and don't figure I have enough time to reprogram myself. Being an old fart has it's limitations. I am choosing Armalite over Sig, Ruger and all the others because they were first, so that moves them to the top of my list. Again, that's just me. I own Remington, Winchester, Ruger Colt, Springfield and Weatherby rifles. All are shooters. Being a Gunners Mate in the NAVY, I learned how to accurize a weapon. I can pretty much make a rifle that comes out of the box printing 3-4" groups print under 1/2". The main reason for the Defender is money. I figure it is the best bang for my bucks. I might be wrong in my thinking, but that's just me. I have been fortunate in my life to have some very good jobs. I was building my nest egg in my later years. Then, at age 56, my world got put on it's ear. One day I could lift the front end of a Volkswagen and the next day I couldn't get out of my chair. Spent 5 weeks in the hospital before they found out I had liver failure. Agent Orange had finally hit me. The VA was absolutely no help, but I had good insurance. The first transplant was a failure. 6 months later I had my second transplant. But, my insurance dropped me and I was stuck owing about $250,000. I had to cash in all my stocks, bonds and savings, as well as mortaging my home, which was paid for. Now I live on SS Disability. That puts a pinch on my funds. But the wife and myself are happy. Speaking of my wife, the only constant in my life was that every time I woke up in the 8 months total I was in the hospital was she was always there right beside me. I will check into the target model, but I am really doing this for my grandchildren. They might not enjoy the same freedoms we have today. Sorry for the long post but maybe it gives some insight into why I am like I am. My dad always told me to buy the best and it will last a lifetime or buy the cheapest and buy 6 in your lifetime. And my dad was a smart man and my hero.

Maybe later they will get a batch in at the lower price.

And maybe they won't - the longer you wait, the more you'll pay.  That's a definite possibility, and you already saw prices rise.  Get it while you can, if you really want it. 

My advice: I am 66 and have two Armalites. If you can find a last years AR10T in rifle or carbine on closeout, buy it. It will be plenty accurate. Under 700 yards, the carbine will be fine with the right ammo. Same for the rifle out to 1000. Standard AR10 rifle is accurate as well. I can't vouch for the standard carbine, but I am guessing it will be a little less. My AR10T carbine is as accurate as my 20 inch AR10 Standard rifle. That stainless bull barrel on the AR10T carbine helps even things up a lot. Hunt around and there are still some B models on closeout around. Just have to use the Gen II proprietary mags. Which are very reliable.

• 1 month later...