• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My new love interest... an AR-10mm?

Robocop1051

So I saw that Oly Arms has done a one-up on their old design of the Oly K10. They now have their own magazines that will fit a standard AR-15 lower receiver. I did a bit of homework on this gun and I am excited to say that I should be bringing one of these babies home to play with soon. I know I haven't even finished my 308 yet... but you guys understand my situation. I was actually feeling left out since I only had one project in the works.

The Oly K10 comes with a 16" barrel, flat top receiver, A2 front sight, mil carbine handguard and a flash hider. It is a gas blow back system, so I don't think I have to worry about the gas tube. My plan is to cut the barrel down (since I don't think it is chrome lined) to about 14ish inches and re-thread for the flash hider. I gotta have that Cali required 16". If I'm right about the gasblock just being for decoration, I'm going to ditch the A2 front sight and toss on a VLTOR tower sight closer to the end of the barrel. I might have to shim and solder the tower sight to keep it stable on the barrel, since that portion of the barrel isn't designed for a gasblock/sight. Last I'll wrap the barrel with a Magpul mid length handguard. Throw on a rear sight and I'll be ready to thump some pigs!

I mocked up a pimpmygun design..

Here is my concept...

AR10MM.jpg

**excuse some of the inaccuracies in the picture, I had to be creative with what I had available.

Here is the Olymic Arms K10 (10mm) Carbine as it comes from the factory

2114503027e47463c47bb33c2a4b5d0f.jpg

6af9a894a35e81f348646779ec7ac76b.jpg

Coming soon!!!

A light weight 10mm pig thumper. I figure as long as I keep my hunts under 150yrds (maybe 100?) I can kill porky all day long with this baby!

I love the idea. I just got my Delta Gold Cup back from the gunsmith and I've been thinking of picking up one of those carbine uppers that use the 1911 lower frame for the fire control. I have an old 45 I can use for the lower, and it will take my Delta mags. But, I would love to have an ar upper in 10mm, I've been a fan of the cartridge since it came out.

A friend of the family has a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm with a two or three digit serial number. I have been trying to get it from his safe for years. He has no children, so I'm banking on the inheritance.

I was thinking of converting my Springfield TRP Operator into a 10mm. The cartridge is hotter than Jessica Alba.

If I could make my AR shoot 44 mag I would. I have no interest in the 458 bushmaster or 50 beowolf. Especially when they are $2+ a shot!

I was thinking of converting my Springfield TRP Operator into a 10mm. The cartridge is hotter than Jessica Alba.

<laughs> <lmao>  You go, man... 

I've been kicking the idea around of building a .45ACP AR platform.  We'll see what happens.  I had a new shipment of gas tube roll pins show up, so something is gettin' built...  :o

unfortunately a 45 slide won't work for a 10mm. You need a 9mm, 38 Super, or 40 S&W slide. I've been trying to find a Colt Lightweight Commander in 9 or 38 Super to use as a conversion to a ramped 10mm carry gun, but they are so pricey that I finally figured out I can buy all the pieces brand new to build one for about a grand.

ok, silly me, but, why? what does the handgun rounds offer that you couldn't get from the typical rifle rounds. i understand if it's just something you really want, we all have our vices, (anything that goes boom for most of us!) but are there any advantages. i thought that i might get the kriss super v, but if an ar in 45 acp works better or offers some thing more i would change my mind. <thumbsup>

ok, silly me, but, why? what does the handgun rounds offer that you couldn't get from the typical rifle rounds. i understand if it's just something you really want, we all have our vices, (anything that goes boom for most of us!) but are there any advantages. i thought that i might get the kriss super v, but if an ar in 45 acp works better or offers some thing more i would change my mind. <thumbsup>

My argument for the 10mm:

200 grains out of a 14"-16" barrel will achieve approximately 1800-1900 fps. Putting out approximately 1500 foot-pounds of pig thumping force.

My build is specifically for a <100 yard shot on a very stalwart animal. The 308 would work fine (and it has worked fine for me for years). I'm tired of the over penetration at close range and the loss of meat with a bone hit.

So gun show 1 of 2 came and went this afternoon. California is becoming quite depressing with every passing day. Despite the unimpressive turnout, there was

I walked the entire show, which wasn't very much. I found nothing better quality than a Spike/DelTon/Stag lower receiver. I asked everyone about the Olympic 10mm upper and had negative results... One guy even tried to tell me "No one makes a 10mm." <dontknow> Who does he think I am? Now I think he's an idiot, and I don't do business with idiots.

I can only hope Nevada will produce better results next weekend. Despite all, as God is my witness, I will build a 10mm rifle on an AR!!!

• 9 months later...

Just to throw my 2 cents in here. I'm thinking that comparing the 10mm to the beowolf or the .458 is an apples to oranges thing. I've got a pistol cal carbine in .45 acp and, although i like it, I think it's practical use is somewhat limited, I see it as something that would be useful in a compact SBR role, like an MP5, certainly not for hunting at 100yds. The 10mm, if I'm not mistaken, is ballistically similar to .357 in range and performance, definitely more practical for longer ranges than the .45 acp. The .458 on the other hand is supposed to be ballistically similar to the 45/70, and can be loaded with 600gr bullets. I think that although you can sometimes take an animal with a smaller cal, when planning to go for something big, the .458 might be superior to the 10mm withing their effective ranges.

unfortunately a 45 slide won't work for a 10mm. You need a 9mm, 38 Super, or 40 S&W slide. I've been trying to find a Colt Lightweight Commander in 9 or 38 Super to use as a conversion to a ramped 10mm carry gun, but they are so pricey that I finally figured out I can buy all the pieces brand new to build one for about a grand.

The light weight CC frame may not be able to take the constant punishment of the 10MM. , unless you intend to use light loads in it , but hay , ya never know . <munch>

I was just looking at a ballistics chart a few weeks ago, comparing 10mm to .45acp out of a 6" barrel.  The 10mm starts losing ground to the .45 at around 75 yards.

But the 10mm has a LOT more to gain from a longer barrel, while the .45 just picks up maybe 100fps.

Colt was originally having issues with the 10mm Delta and the constant bashing from the 10mm rounds...I would never consider converting an aluminum framed 1911 to 10mm.

Jon

I have a 10mm Beretta 96FS Brigadier Inox. That thing is a super accurate power house.

However, the 10mm Auto; being a pistol round, will only shoot at full speed up to so much barrel length before the pressure goes down and barrel length starts to slow the bullet down, so I suggest staying with the shortest barrel length you can legally get.

A 10mm AR would make an excellent duty rifle, assuming it's reliable.

If we ever get out to the range, I'll let you fire my Beretta. It's hard to fire a 10mm without falling in love with it.

Just to throw my 2 cents in here. I'm thinking that comparing the 10mm to the beowolf or the .458 is an apples to oranges thing. I've got a pistol cal carbine in .45 acp and, although i like it, I think it's practical use is somewhat limited, I see it as something that would be useful in a compact SBR role, like an MP5, certainly not for hunting at 100yds. The 10mm, if I'm not mistaken, is ballistically similar to .357 in range and performance, definitely more practical for longer ranges than the .45 acp. The .458 on the other hand is supposed to be ballistically similar to the 45/70, and can be loaded with 600gr bullets. I think that although you can sometimes take an animal with a smaller cal, when planning to go for something big, the .458 might be superior to the 10mm withing their effective ranges.

The full house 10mm loads I've fired were meaner then any .357 Magnum I've fired. The overall performance of 10mm Auto loads I've fired seamed a little closer to "Wal Mart" .44 Magnum loads. Somewhere in between, but closer to 44 overall.

The long range accuracy of my 10mm Beretta is almost identical to that of my CZ-52. At least when using Double Tap 135gr JHPs. I have yet to get results quite that good from a .357.

With both my CZ-52 and Beretta, shoot at the head of a human silhouette target at 150 yards and hit the chest.

After watching what some of the 10mm builds, and seeing the trial and error in their progress, I have put this plan on the back burner till further progress is made in the engineering.

Since I had a majority of the parts anyways... I am turning the build over to either a 7.62x39 or a 300blk. Both have pro's and con's. I'm leaning towards the "AR-47" build due to ammo prices and lack of a suppressor. It sucks that my best source for a bolt/barrel had a bad case e-diarrhea in the middle of our forum. That could be reason enough to push me back to a 300blk.

I have put this plan on the back burner till further progress is made in the engineering.

This is so much easier than you think, brother - all you have to do with the parts in the pic below is add a complete lower.  If you go with the flat top upper, then you'll have to add a rear back up sight.  <thumbsup>

16__10mm_Upper_C_4e1c814286e5a.jpg

http://olyarms.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v8.tpl&product_id=101&category_id=70&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=5

Get the upper from Rainier Arms with your MIL/LEO discount, too - it's a decent discount.  ;D

Here's my .45 ACP AR:

100_0192.jpg

You know you wanna do it - and it's a hell of alot easier than you think.  <lmao>