• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Elftmann Tactical AR15 Match Trigger comparo

98Z5V

On 4/19/2015 at 5:38 PM, FaRKle! said:

So I finally got to run the Elftmann AR-10 trigger today on the PWS and all I can say is, wow this thing really needs a stronger hammer spring... I had 5 light primer strikes in 30rnds (SSA 175gr match and HSM M118LR Equiv). No issues with the trigger resetting and no issues releasing the hammer when the trigger was pulled, but the light primer strikes were unacceptable.

I was able to take those rounds and fire them through my MWS later with its SD-E trigger.

On 4/20/2015 at 5:35 AM, Magwa said:

Kinda wierd but good info I shoot all sorts of old surplus and a lot of lake city 7.62 and I have not had a single issue also ran it in my 300 BO surrpressed no problems and on my 5.56 I would ask the manufacturer if this was common or maybe just yours.... interesting let us know how it ends up .

On 4/27/2015 at 3:52 PM, FaRKle! said:

Well, I sent the trigger off to Art Elftmann today. He had me ship it to his residence so he could personally take a look at it because he said that they're made elsewhere (sounded like a contract machine shop). He seemed pretty surprised I was getting light primer strikes with the AR-10 model. He also said that they re-designed the trigger housing recently when I asked him about the hammer nicking the sides of the housing when the BCG pushes it down.

We'll see what happens...

On 5/7/2015 at 7:38 PM, FaRKle! said:

I got my ELF-AR10 trigger back today.

When I spoke with Art on the phone he said he'd put a stronger hammer spring in there for me and set the adjustable trigger pull to 3-3.25lbs, his preferred weight. He also said that he thought the face of the hammer had some unusual wear on it. He said there were some parallel lines wear marks and said to check the bottom of my carrier. This wouldn't have caused light primer strikes though.

I checked my carrier and it feels smooth to me...

PWS_BCG_Bottom_zpsonwccowv.jpg

PWS_BCG_Bottom2_zpsgkcifawp.jpg

I was a bit surprised when I opened the package today and found that I didn't receive the same trigger back as I sent in (serial #s are different). I was a bit disappointed because I had sent mine in with the retail packaging and received just a trigger in a plastic bag. It also didn't have the newer housing that prevents the hammer from nicking the sides of the housing like I was told I would receive. I think what irks me the most though is that the trigger I received has considerably more wear on the sear surfaces than the one I sent in. I had fired less than 50rnds on the old trigger, and the new one looks to have a decent amount of use on the sear surfaces (although the hammer face looks cleaner than mine did...).

They did give me a set of their anti-walk pins though, but I don't plan on using them.

On 5/7/2015 at 11:28 PM, 98Z5V said:

That's what Shepp's was doing here in the desert.  It wouldn't reset on it's own.  I still suspect the disconnector spring.  It would fire the first round, and not the second.  When I checked it out, what I saw was you would pull the trigger, the disconnector wouldn't catch the hammer, and the hammer would move forward to that half-cock position.  When you tried to fire the second time, you only dropped the hammer from the half-cocked position, and it didn't have the a$s to fire a primer (nothing would, from tht distance from the firing pin).

The range-cure we came up with was this:  You fire that rifle, and make damn sure you follow through with that trigger, and hold it to the rear.  You MAKE that disconnector hang onto that hammer.  It wouldn't reset when you eased up on it, so kick the trigger forward with your finger and manually reset it.  Fire again, follow through.  Fire again, follow through. 

You had to repeat that, and it fired everytime.  You HAD to follow through, and manually reset it, though.

My AR15 Match trigger has NOT had this problem, and it works everytime, like it should.

Fark, try the follow through, and see if yours does the same thing shepp's did... 

2 hours ago, Barrett said:

I was looking at those ELF triggers, has anyone tried this one? http://www.elftactical.com/ELF-AR-10308-Trigger_p_29.html

Read those responses above, man.  It's all over this thread. 

Shepp - send me your trigger and I'll get that fukker squared away, brother.  :thumbup:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's spring changes that make the difference between the trigger types, man.  Some stiffer (trigger/hammer/disconnect), some lighter. The trigger hardware (minus straight/curved trigger bow) is the same.

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, Barrett said:

There aren't any pictures or model#s

200$ paper weight they told me on Instagram how to fix it after I trash talked it for a few week, I guess I struck a nerve. I never did get to trying what they said, I put the mecharmor in and never looked back. 

IMG_5521.JPG

1 minute ago, shepp said:

200$ paper weight they told me on Instagram how to fix it after I trash talked it for a few week, I guess I struck a nerve. I never did get to trying what they said, I put the mecharmor in and never looked back. 

Send me that paperweight - I'll have that shiit fixed and running like champion, brother.  :thumbup:

I find it wierd that anyone can pay that kind of money for a trigger then just effin give up on it if mine did not work I would be up their asses about it till it did, my name is on the line on this trigger it was my doing , so at least make em fix replace or money back but just don't quit on it .... in my case it is my favorite trigger by far I like it better than my Gisselle SSA-E ....

17 minutes ago, Magwa said:

I find it wierd that anyone can pay that kind of money for a trigger then just effin give up on it if mine did not work I would be up their asses about it till it did, my name is on the line on this trigger it was my doing , so at least make em fix replace or money back but just don't quit on it .... in my case it is my favorite trigger by far I like it better than my Gisselle SSA-E ....

After reading farkels posts I was greatly discouraged, awhile back 98 said he'd look at it for me then got busy, I knew he'd get unbusy (which seems to be now) so I'll ship it off to him. All I did was lighten the break now it won't reset. 

2 hours ago, shepp said:

After reading farkels posts I was greatly discouraged, awhile back 98 said he'd look at it for me then got busy, I knew he'd get unbusy (which seems to be now) so I'll ship it off to him. All I did was lighten the break now it won't reset. 

98 is ALWAYS busy. Because he likes fightin the fight. Life that is. NOT his ol lady. I would never say that. Because then Kim would kick MY ass. And that would be completely unacceptable. :laffs:I would NEVER wanna antagonize her. :hornet: :lmao: After all.........that would be wrong.