• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Elftmann Tactical AR15 Match Trigger comparo

98Z5V

Working on this now, and details will take awhile. Vids are uploading SLOW.

Received the trigger last night, installed is quickly, and function-checked it. Very nice.  One interesting thing about it - it has a "half-cocked" position.  It's a single stage trigger, so I figured I'd test it against the closest thing I have, in both pull weight and single stage.  It went up against the Geissele Super 3 Gun.

Test rifle specs:

Top rifle, Trigger is Geissele Super 3 Gun

Upper: BCM Mod 3 (Large) charging handle, Rainier Arms Thunderbolt BCG, Rainier Arms Billett Ultramatch upper receiver, Yankee Hill Machine 14.5” barrel (carbine gas) with 1:7” twist, pinned YHM Flash Hider.  Daniel Defense Mk18 RIS II rail, MagPul AFG, Surefire E2 Defender light in a VLTOR mount (bolt on). MagPul Gen 2 BUIS, Primary Arms mini red dot on ADM QD mount, Burris AR Tripler in ADM QD flip-to-side mount.

Lower: ARFCOM Billet lower receiver (MagPul licensed), MagPul CTR stock, MagPul MIAD grip, H3 buffer, Geissele S3G trigger, Battle Arms ETP set and 45* BADASS safety. Eats from Lancer L5AWM mags.

Bottom rifle, trigger is Elftmann Tactical AR15 Match, 2.75~4# adjustable, single stage.

Upper: BCM Mod 3 (Large) charging handle, RGuns NiB BCG, AP upper receiver, BCM 14.5” barrel (mid gas) with 1:7” twist, pinned AAC Blackout flash hider.  Geissele Mk2 Super Modular Rail (12”), Surefire EL2 light in a VLTOR QD mount, Troy BUIS, Millett DMS-1 1~4 illuminated scope in ADM Scout mount.

Lower: AP lower receiver, MagPul STR stock, H2 buffer, Elftmann Tactical AR15 Match trigger (2.75~4#, adjustable), EZ Pull pin set, Battle Arms BADASS dafety.  Eats from Lancer L5AWM mags.

Elftmann%20Test%202_zps6clque7x.jpg

Elftmann%20Test%201_zpstz88ecen.jpg

***More to follow as I write this up - please hold all comments until I declare it "finished..."  Thanks.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, there won't be any videos until I learn how to use some GoPro Video Editor.

At any rate - bottom line up front.  The Elftmann Tactical trigger for the AR15, Match - this is a nice trigger.  It's not a fast trigger.

Okay, to explain that...  This is a single stage trigger, and it is DAMN smooth - as far as comparing it to the G S3G trigger, it's easy to be far more accurate with it, over the S3G.  My mindset going in was - it's a single stage, and it's a light pull, so it oughta be pretty fast, too...

That was my ASSumption.  ASS-U-ME...  You know how that goes.

Well, it is a rapid reset, short reset, very little takeup, and DAMN!  Is this thing SMOOTH. 

I was lazy at the ***classified desert testing location***, and started short, walked back to do far-testing later.  I started at 15 yards.  I started with the ELF trigger.  Loaded up a 20rd mag and proceeded to to 2-1 drills on a centermass IDPA target backer (2 centermass, 1 head).  Now, you can shoot this trigger fast - but you can't count on making it go fast.  I hope that makes sense.  I've got some terrible vid of the target (what I was trying to get) that I'm having a hard time editing down.  I tried to drive this trigger hard, and you just can't do it repeatedly.  With a 20rd magazine, I should have been able to make six 3-rd cycles and end with a doubletap.  I couldn't consistently make this trigger run consistent numbers on the shot timer. 

So, not a problem, switch rifles.  Went to the other one, with the S3G in it.  20rd mag, same thing.  Banged out very consistent cycles of 2-1, and the split times on the 2 shots were always 0.12~0.14 seconds, with a quick follow up on the 1 (head) shot.  Alright, lesson learned.

Moved back to 50 yards - this is the vid I hope I can get to turn out.  Since the S3G equipped rifle had a fixed 3x magnifier on it, I ran the other rifle (1~4 power) on the 3x setting.  I was shooting from the kneeling position, forward arm supported on my forward knee.  It's FAR easier to make accurate shots with the ELF trigger than the S3G.  I only fired 10rd mags from this position/distance to try this out, but the ELF shot group was 1/2 the size of the S3G shotgroup.  I still have this target, so if the vids don't come out, I'll get the target pic up.  I used a separate point of aim for both, so those two groups do not mix on the target. 

Final summary on the ELF trigger - I like it.  Alot.  I don't normally drift towards a single stage trigger as an accuracy trigger, but this thing works very, very well in that role.  I'd prefer a 2-stage trigger for accuracy, but this really does work.  Can you make it run fast?  Yes, you can.  Can you make it run as fast as a Geissele S3G trigger?  I can't.  However, is that what it was designed for?  I think not.

I'm damn glad I bought it, and I will buy another - I just need to figure out what rifle I'll either build or use now, to put it in.  It is a damn nice trigger.  I can't get over how smooth it is on the trigger pull.  The reset is very crisp, and there's very little takeup after the reset.  I can't wait to take this thing coyote hunting.  <thumbsup>

Post away, haters...  <lmao>

Edited by 98Z5V

Just came up with another rifle to put this trigger in - the Lightweight 16" 5.56 midlength build I intended on doing (that the short 300BLK interrupted).  Will be a perfect rifle for another one of these triggers.  <thumbsup>

Lower centermass group is the ELF, upper group is the S3G.   There's one hit above the S3G base circle - up and slightly left - wind kicked the target over, and I got that guy on the way down...  Needless to say, I wasn't walking back out there and setting it up to make another 3 hits.  I packed it up...  <lmao>

post-7-0-10372700-1426646221_thumb.jpg

Very nice review 98, and very honest as well, I Got this trigger for my 300 blackout as that is the gun I use when on my quad or snowmobile wolf hunting as a short range hunting gun the trigger is excellent as it allows a very quick and accurate 1st shot and follow ups are very on target. I also would love this trigger on my 308 hunting rifle as for long range shots I love a clean break trigger and this trigger has the cleanest break of any I have shot in this platform and I have the Gisselle, the RR nationaal match, and I prefere the elftman for hunting .

I can run this trigger pretty fast (maybe fast for me is not fast ) 3 shot groups are very good with it when shooting them as fast as possible while being still on target, but I do think the Gisselle, ssa-e work in that area a bit better for me I do not have a lot of guns to test with but it seems they are both excellent for the job they do.... MY 2 cents  now chime in you Biachis a bunch bought them get out and shoot them..... :)

• 2 weeks later...

ACT SR Gold

Do it, you'll never regret it.

I have been looking at the Gold too, I'm just afraid if I buy one good trigger I'll have to get one for all my rifles....

I was narrowing it to the Elfman and gold for around $250, and the cheapass in me is looking at the CMC for around $150 and the RRA at $80.

did anyone install the Ar10 model?

Weaponsmart is still out of stock on the elfmans, and I'm almost tempted to buy a CMC.

I got the AR10 model too. I didn't see any instructions with the packaging so I installed it a bit wrong (disconnector would catch upon trigger release so it wouldn't reset unless I manually pushed the trigger piece forward). The pull was very crisp, but I'll need to run it again to really give an impression on it.

I have one in my Maten. Did the same thing would not reset I have since adjusted it and it feels great to me. I've been lighting it up a little less than 1/4 turn every 100 rounds or so and I feel it's really coming in now. I haven't measured it but feels like it right on the bottom of the scale really light and snaps.

I based my comparison on the guess that:  "Since it's a light single stage, I'll compare it to another light single stage."    It's the Match trigger, and it's definitely an accuracy trigger.  Trying to make it run fast and sizing it up to the S3G was the wrong approach.  I saw right away that it's easier to be more accurate with the ELF than the S3G. 

I'll be picking up the ELF speed trigger in the future, and redoing the matchup. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got to run the Elftmann AR-10 trigger today on the PWS and all I can say is, wow this thing really needs a stronger hammer spring... I had 5 light primer strikes in 30rnds (SSA 175gr match and HSM M118LR Equiv). No issues with the trigger resetting and no issues releasing the hammer when the trigger was pulled, but the light primer strikes were unacceptable.

I was able to take those rounds and fire them through my MWS later with its SD-E trigger.

Kinda wierd but good info I shoot all sorts of old surplus and a lot of lake city 7.62 and I have not had a single issue also ran it in my 300 BO surrpressed no problems and on my 5.56 I would ask the manufacturer if this was common or maybe just yours.... interesting let us know how it ends up .

We all need more time on these triggers to see how they do - long term testing is the real answer.  I'll take mine out every range session, and do more shooting with it.  I'm pleased with it, that's for sure. 

If I had more time, maybe I'd be interested in troubleshooting this trigger more, but I've been spoiled by the boring reliability of Geissele.

The fact that a couple of us have had issues with the disconnector (since no good documentation is included) with these triggers shows that they haven't reached a level of finesse for those who'd just like a "drop in and go" solution.

I'll probably sell mine as soon as my second Tricon comes in ;).

Edited by FaRKle!