• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Correct Length for LR-308 Buffer Tube

majordon

8 minutes ago, CorpsTex said:

Better check with Aero Precision, they sell the correct buffer, buffer spring and buffer tube for a rifle length AR10. This will allow the correct bolt hold back when the magazine is empty. And yes the overall buffer length is between 5.3 to 5.5" long for proper bolt operation

He's running a Carbine Recoil System...   Your other numbers above are not correct. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/23/2015 at 5:16 PM, majordon said:

What is the proper length for an LR-308 buffer tube? I am using a 7" mil-spec tube with DPMS 308 buffer and spring. My problem: I can't get the bolt to lock back; it appears that the the bolt doesn't trravel far enough to allow the bolt catch to activate.

Anyone have any opinions on this or as to what I might do to correct this?

Thanks from a new member. Majordon

This was the original post from this thread, and you even quote it - you responded with the response below...  The OP clearly stated that he was using a 7" receiver extension.  You then proceed to tell him that he needs a 5.300" long buffer.  Not to mention, this thread was started in March of 2015...

On 4/4/2020 at 5:01 AM, CorpsTex said:

Your buffer is too long, I have a few AR10's. The correct overall length of your buffer should be 5.300 inches. With a overall spring length of 12.5". I encounter the same problem during my second build. Bolt carrier would not properly latch on the bolt catch. These builds are both rifle length builds not carbine with Magpul full length rifle stocks with extended recoil pads attached.

Doesn't matter that you are using Rifle Recoil System Components. Doesn't matter.  You used that info to correct a guy that is using Carbine Recoil System Components.  Are you getting that yet?  Is that sinking in?  You directly told a guy with a Carbine Recoil System that he needed a Rifle buffer, which will never, ever work.  And, research your numbers.  This is a good place to start:

http://heavybuffers.com/reference.html

Edited by 98Z5V

Clearly stated in my first response the both AR10 builds are rifle length not carbine length builds.

Check with Wing Tactical they carry all buffer length in both Carbine length and Rifle length, 2.5" carbine and 5.3" for rifle length. He can only fix his own problem with a little time of web searching for the correct parts for his AR to function correctly. Without any body else's input.

Rifle gas is not rifle buffer. I think there’s some confusion going on here with your thoughts.  The recoil system and the gas system are two different deals. A 5.3” buffer in a 7” tube only leaves you with 1.7” of travel. How long is your BCG?  Think about that. 

27 minutes ago, DNP said:

Rifle gas is not rifle buffer. I think there’s some confusion going on here with your thoughts.  The recoil system and the gas system are two different deals. A 5.3” buffer in a 7” tube only leaves you with 1.7” of travel. How long is your BCG?  Think about that. 

Yep, and a 308 round itself is 2.800" long, so you have to have that much travel at a bare minimum...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Radpilot said:

Your buffer tube is too short it should be

7 7/8  for the 308 carbine, I have experienced the same problem before , Play around spraying in the buffer weights To fine-tune it

This thread is becoming just PACKED with bad information, all the way around.

Correct internal depth for a real AR-10 Carbine Receiver extension is 7 5/8".  Not 7 7/8" - that would be 1/4" out of spec, right there.  Bad advice.

Correct internal depth on a DPMS LR-308-based carbine extension would be - proper AR15 carbine receiver extension depth.  The real number is 6 15/16" internal depth.  The commercial, industry standard has be 7.000" internal, with no ill effects.

^^^   That's the real data, right there.

Edited by 98Z5V