• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

7.62x39 On AR15 Platform

suzukiray

That does sound like a sweet setup.  I tried to build mine on the cheap.  

Magtech Lower

Carbine Buffer and Magpul CTR Stock

Blem Upper

Carbine gas system with Magpul MOE Fore end

ARD 16" Barrel

Tactical Ambush 7.62x39 Bolt and Enhanced Firing Pin

Prime Weaponry Bolt Carrier NiB  (These folks have great customer service and good prices)

ALG ACT Trigger (it works but I don't like the trigger pull weight or travel)

Do you think the Titanium Firing pin makes that much difference?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My current project is a 7.62x39, and I plan on installing a Hyperfire with a 7.62x39 specific titanium firing pin.

•Adams Arms Piston System (Pistol length)

•LMT Enhanced 7.62x39 Bolt

•NiB Cam Pin

•Titanium 7.62x39 Enhanced Firing Pin

•Hyperfire HiperTouch 24e Trigger

It's gonna be sweet!

Show off! <laughs>

ALG ACT Trigger (it works but I don't like the trigger pull weight or travel)

Invest in JP Yellow Springs.

Do you think the Titanium Firing pin makes that much difference?

"That much"... no.

a slight, almost insignificant, difference... for only $10 more than a standard firing pin... yes

We all know Ti is stronger than steel. I figure that the stronger fire group from Hyperfire, combined with the harder/lighter Ti firing pin, will add a fraction more reliability to the firearm.

For the record... My first 7.62x39 build was on a LMT with a LMT 2 stage trigger. It uses a MGI enhanced bolt and pin. It hasn't failed me once... I just wanted something different this go around.

Show off! <laughs>

All that, and an ASA side charging upper.... and a $99 8" barrel w/ a no name muzzle device. No reason to go obnoxious there, since I plan on shooting steel (and possibly corrosive) garbage ammo 99.9% of the time. Besides, I'll likely never shoot it beyond 25 (maybe 50) yards. Even a crappy barrel can group at 25 yards.

All that, and an ASA side charging upper.... and a $99 8" barrel w/ a no name muzzle device. No reason to go obnoxious there, since I plan on shooting steel (and possibly corrosive) garbage ammo 99.9% of the time. Besides, I'll likely never shoot it beyond 25 (maybe 50) yards. Even a crappy barrel can group at 25 yards.

if you run a Melonited barrel, you'll have less damage due to the corrosive steel ammo going through it.  Rinse it with hot water after firing, clean it like any other barrel, apply lube.  Done. 

Just trying to get you to see the light - and drive the price up.  <lmao>

8" CM, Melonite, M4 contour.

Three piece "Krink" style b muzzle device.

Short. Robust. Lightweight. Easy to disassemble and clean.

I put a LOT of foresight into this. It's getting done RIGHT. TRUST ME, when you see the final product, you're going to shiit out an MRE you ate in the 90's.

Ran the new CPD 28 rounder yesterday. Pulled the trigger as fast as I could and it fed flawlessly. The rounds don't nosedive with this mag. The new design keeps the bullets pointed nose up.

Great news.  Thanks for the update.  Makes me wish all the more I could simply get to the range.   <thumbsup>

You guys and your 762x39's builds made me think of mine....ive been too focused on the 308's...had to go down to level2 in the bunker to grab a couple...geez I had  forgot bout this one :banana:   Wash

006_zpsebiulipy.jpg

Does anyone know if Colt offers an AR in 7.62x39 anymore?  I've never seen one in person but was told they are out there.

There's a new Colt that's not yet released in the US. Colt has to fulfill it's overseas military contracts before they can make civilian models.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/30/colt-ak-7-62x39-colt-ck901-released/

cm901-1.jpg

Colt has announced the release and first order of the CK901 7.62×39 direct impingement AR-AK hybrid (not to be confused with the ARAK-21 from Faxon). The weapon systems has been ordered by the Yemeni Republican Guard as a replacement for their current AK-47 systems.

1534437_-_main-390x219.jpg

Speaking to IHS Janes, Colt Defense representatives shared details about the new CK901, based off the commercial CM901 modular system. The “standard” variant includes a 16 inch barrel and weighs in at 4.5 kg (9.92 lbs). A SBR version will be available with a 13-inch barrel. The weight is primarily due to a monolithic upper receiver with corresponding railed handguard.

cm901-2.jpg

The CK901 is compatible with “all types of standard and non-standard AK-47 pattern magazines. The company claims that they have vigorously tested all available steel and polymer magazines to ensure compatibility. In addition, Colt will also be offering US-Palm manufactured magazines direct to customers. The CK901 does not have a last-round bolt-hold-open, instead opting to be charged like a standard AR.

No word yet on pricing or availability to civilian markets in the US or abroad.

Thanks.  Not cheap though are they?  I'm sure I have far less in the mutt model I built.   :))

There's a new Colt that's not yet released in the US. Colt has to fulfill it's overseas military contracts before they can make civilian models.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/30/colt-ak-7-62x39-colt-ck901-released/

cm901-1.jpg

Smooth move by Colt.  They might've found a marketing niche' with this one.  Might be what finally gets their finances back in order.  I'm sure countries in the Middle East will at least take a good look at it.

Obviously they gave up on somebody coming up with a decent mag that works so they designed around it.

Want to see something cool?

Take the spring and follower out of the 28 round mag, and put them in the in the 30 round mag body. Now count how many rounds your magazine will hold.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what springs from whatever mag I can place in the 28 round mags to see if I can get 30+ ?

Smooth move by Colt. They might've found a marketing niche' with this one. Might be what finally gets their finances back in order. I'm sure countries in the Middle East will at least take a good look at it.

Obviously they gave up on somebody coming up with a decent mag that works so they designed around it.

Not that they gave up, but countries don't have to spend millions on proprietary mags when they can use the (probably) billion AK mags they've stockpiled over the last 50 years.

I wonder if the Chinese/Russian drums will fit....

Edited by ChaseFan9

Smooth move by Colt.  They might've found a marketing niche' with this one.  Might be what finally gets their finances back in order.  I'm sure countries in the Middle East will at least take a good look at it.

Too little, too late.  The badge of Colt Firearms is now the firearms version of Indian Motorcycles, just relying solely on the name and a couple of gimmicks to get in just a few more sales.

Maybe someone will pick up the badge that truly loves firearms and will turn out quality products for the public's consumption (like current Indians).  But the overpriced dogcrap with the Colt name upon it at the stores here look just like that...especially when held side-by-side with same-priced or less expensive products from Springfield, Kimber, SIG, Smith & Wesson.

There's no middle eastern country that's gonna drop the money on a damn Colt 7.62x39, when they can just have an AK variant for a metric $hit-ton cheaper.  Think about it.  They won't even be "taking a good look at it."

Oh, GRA, go read the ITAR.  It's a hot topic right now, so I thought you would have read up on it already, but it's obvious that you haven't.

Edited by 98Z5V

There's no middle eastern country that's gonna drop the money on a damn Colt 7.62x39, when they can just have an AK variant for a metric $hit-ton cheaper.  Think about it.  They won't even be "taking a good look at it."

Yemen already has dropped the money for it and was purchasing it. I say "was" because they're currently in pretty much a civil war right now...