7.62x39 On AR15 Platform

suzukiray

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man that really rocks.  Had to check it out again. <thumbsup>  Excellent pattern.

I was thinking of trying my own "urbanflage" with different shades of gray.  I'll check this stuff out at Primary Arms.  

Just when I thought we might be getting dry enough here to head out the the range this 4 day weekend, we just had a ferocious downpour and we'll be floating the rest of the week.  This is getting a little ridiculous,

I'm going to have to take a day off just to finish my .308 and to check out these new mags.  Crazy.

I'm looking forward to this next group buy of that same trigger.  If the springs gave you trouble with certain ammo, which ammo was it?  

What is the pull weight of the spring(s) of the Mech Armor trigger?

Edited by GRA

So that tells me that with if I run a special/custom trigger I will need a minimum of 4.0 - 4.5 lbs. of trigger pull.  I've heard this about Wolf and the Russian stuff before.  I was told the Berdan primers are exceptionally hard compared to the boxer primers and some 3.0 - 3.5 lbs. trigger pull springs were not always hitting as hard as they needed to.

Those primers are as hard as woodpecker lips.  Valid point.

GRA, in what you've been saying, you're confusing a couple things.  You're directly equating trigger pull weight with hammer spring force.  That isn't comparing apples to apples, or even apples to oranges.  It's comparing apples to hammers.  Trigger pull weight has more to do with the engagement sear surfaces, not the springs used.  Sometimes, in some trigger designs, springs directly affect pull weight, but the springs used aren't the primary factor in pull weight.

A 9lb trigger isn't necessarily going to hit harder on the primer than a 3lb trigger.  A 9lb trigger just has really shitty geometry, and sucks.

Speaking solely from my personal experience and weapon, I had no FTF due to light hammer strength (or strikes) but then I have the standard AR15 FCG.  I don't even remember who's it is.  I think it's Spike's standard FCG.  I do have the caliber-specific 7.62x39 bolt and firing pin.

When the lousy ASC mags functioned it hit the Wolf / Tulammo / Bear commie ammo just fine every time.

I do plan on replacing the FCG in this weapon and will most likely use the red 4.5 lbs, POF that I have which has been collecting dust.  I hope it hits hard enough because the main reasons I built this caliber is because I got the YHM upper parts cheap and the ammo in this caliber is cheaper (so far).  If the POF doesn't work then I'll return to the standard parts and just deal with it.

Typically, most of the folks I spoke with that have suffered hammer strike problems had gone to lighter hammer and trigger springs, etc., as a set but when they changed back to a set of harder hitting spring set their problems were solved.  

Mostly these are the same folks that have complained about harder primers with the 3 major calibers (556, 7.62x39, .308) that used the commie military Berdan primers.  The same lighter spring sets seemed to work better or have no issues at all when they fired the softer boxer-primed US-made ammo.

Edited by GRA

• 1 month later...

Well its offical im an owner of a 7.62x39 ar upper and 4 unknown mags coming to my safe tomorrow! My buddy owed me some what of a favor for digging up his sewer and having it functional in 4 hours on his wifes bday!!! Im sure my prezy was better than hers ;) 

PSA 16" 1-10" cheep upper for cheep ammo! But im ok with that!

he says he got the best mags so well see ..

• 2 weeks later...

Try to make this short and to the point ... 

Surprisingly got in a little range time so I picked up where I last left off with the 7.62x39 mag issues.

Happy to report the C-Products Defense 28 ad 30 round mags all worked flawlessly.  Additionally the 30 round mag I assembled with the spring and follower from the 28 round mag (allowing 32 total rounds) worked flawlessly also.  I tired every mag I bought from these people and suffered not one single problem/hiccup whatsoever.

The chevron-sided 30 round mag I bought from Bownells worked flawlessly also.

I fired both steel and brass cased ammo from a variety on manufacturers.  No differences noted.

The ASC mags I have are going to be donated as training mags to one or more LEO agency around here.  I don't want somebody trusting their life to any of the ASC mags I have.

Thanks to all for the patience with me getting this information updated.

Edited by GRA