• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Recommend An Upper/Barrel Combo

mineralman55

I'm looking for your opinions on what you think is the "best" upper AR308 receiver. Best can be defined anyway you want, just say why ("free" doesn't count). I currently have a matched SI upper/lower and a matched Mega upper/lower. Both are beautifully machined and I'd probably be happy with another of either. The only parameters I'd put on it is the resultant rifle must be reliable and accurate in that order.

Whatcha got?

Be more specific !

What is most important... Its a compromise weight is a factor !

24" Bull barrel will give you accuracy and distance. If that is the case , then... Get a Dpms 24" Bull barrel that Brownell sells for a little over $900 . but that combo is heavy. If you want light then get a 14.5" pencil barrel with an attached brake but you give up accuracy. So that leaves 18" to 20" medium profile barrel which every body likes, but it compromises speed and accuracy and weight. This is the combo is what most people will lean toward. Every manufacturer has one. So pick a type first.

Edited by MikedaddyH

I'll play with the 16" mid-gas system this weekend, if i can bear the damn heat...  :'(

EDIT...    That ^^^ is not a P USSY comment...  it's only supposed to be 117* tomorrow... 

Edited by 98Z5V

Yeah, but it's dry heat <laughs>

On the uppers, who's are the best machined, or most rugged, or best designed. Or are there any I should avoid (does CMMG make uppers?) As I first posted, I have a Mega and a SI upper. Both are real nice pieces of equipment. Any others I should consider? Prefer to stick with a DPMS-style upper.

I'm not sure how to make a suggestion since my upper and lower fit perfectly; however, they are both Spikes Tactical.  I really have the impression that if you want a good fit, keep the upper and lower the same brand.  Come on over 98, it will only be 101 to 102 at the range here tomorrow afternoon (and we have a great sun shade).

^^^  Damn, that would be balmy, right now.  I wouldn't know how to act.  It's actually 101* right now, at almost 11pm - summer is the worst part of living in the desert, hands down. 9 months out of the year are badass, but 3 months really, really suck...  <lmao>

I may take you up on the El Paso visit sometime, though - I can bring a giant bastard from Eastern New Mexico with me, too.  <thumbsup>

Yeah, but it's dry heat <laughs>

On the uppers, who's are the best machined, or most rugged, or best designed. Or are there any I should avoid (does CMMG make uppers?) As I first posted, I have a Mega and a SI upper. Both are real nice pieces of equipment. Any others I should consider? Prefer to stick with a DPMS-style upper.

If you want to go Armalite for the barrel nut, anyways, you can get a Matrix Aero stripped upper here for $88+ shipping:

http://www.chandlerhardwoods.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37600

Okay, here's why I asked. I couldn't resist, and bought one of Tennessee Arms' polymer AR308 lowers. $75! Now I need to find an upper.

A friend of mine bought a dozen of their AR15 polymer lowers and I was very impressed with them. Very tight fit on a number of different uppers.

I can't seem to paste pics for some reason.

www.tnarmsco.com

Okay, here's why I asked. I couldn't resist, and bought one of Tennessee Arms' polymer AR308 lowers. $75! Now I need to find an upper.

A friend of mine bought a dozen of their AR15 polymer lowers and I was very impressed with them. Very tight fit on a number of different uppers.

I can't seem to paste pics for some reason.

www.tnarmsco.com

Has your friend cleaned them up? They do require some touching-up with a dremel for 100% functionality.

Actually, Dave at Tennessee Arms told me they intentionally make them tight, so I may need a little emery cloth to get it to fit.

Some things yes, but the take down detent channel being too far inward so that it doesn't actually lock into place on the on the pin, and leftover material in the corner where the pivot pin head sits that prevents it from going in all the way aren't intentionally designed that way.

The receiver extension thread area on the Tnarms lower looks funky as hell, is it just clear polymer or is the gap at the bottom of the threads really there?

Anyways, if you need a DPMS pattern upper and don't need a forward assist, Ares Armor is selling high rail height slick side stripped uppers for $57.50 through Father's Day. You'll need to get a handguard that matches the rail height on the upper, but a lot of companies nowadays have stuff that'll work.

Ares upper is here: http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/Upper_Slickside_AR10_Rail

You'll need to get a handguard that matches the rail height on the upper, but a lot of companies nowadays have stuff that'll work.

Only one company makes a rail for that high bastard, and that's DPMS.  And it's a heavy rail.

• 7 months later...

I ordered the Tennessee Arms 308AR polymer lower back in June. They offered it as a pre-sale at a great price, and it included a free engraving on the receiver side. It arrived last week. I like what I see. It's well made, no seams or excess flashing, and weighs in at 6.7 ounces.

This may be just what I needed to un-ass myself from my comfy chair and get moving. I'm looking forward to this and other things I have in the mill.

tn_rec1.jpg

tn_fcg.jpg

kellyrose.JPG

tn_emblem.JPG

tn_selector2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got the lower mostly assembled last night. Shakey start. The bolt catch release is a roll pin style, but the DPMS LPK comes with an allen bolt. TNArms mailed me on. Got started, and immediately dropped the plunger on the garage floor. Try finding a small black part amongst stuff in a poorly lit garage at night. Anyway, found it, started the roll pin, drove it in too far, had to find a way to back it out (damn near impossible). Got it mostly done. It's looking good and lightweight.

assem_lower r.jpg

assem_lower_l.jpg