• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Recommend factory cartridges for Elk

guilliam

I have zero experience hunting with LMT MWS, but I'm going to give it a try this fall.

In Montana there are no restrictions on firearms or ammo, if any one here has a favorite 308 factory load I would like to hear about it.

My hunting situation would mostly be in the timber, or along the edges of parks.

In the past (mine), most meet and greets occur under 100 yards.

I do not have a good scope, so I will be using an EOTech or irons.

Thanks in advance....(photo's included so you can see the neighborhood)

guilliam

P1010015.JPG

DSCN9401.JPG

DSCN9391.JPG

P1010019.JPG

Might be worth investing in several varieties and seeing if your rifle has a favorite. Barrels from the same maker and on the same model rifle can have different results with the same ammo.

No rifles allowed for deer hunting here in Iowa but if you give some more parameters, like range, prey, and bullet weight, I'm betting you'll get some good starting points from the guys that use them.

Barnes offers loaded ammunition with their TSX projectiles (already loaded ammunition, look for Barnes VOR-TX ammo).  For the .308 Win, they offer a 150gr round and a 168gr round.  Nothing is going to walk away after you plug it with a 150 TSX projectile, but if you don't like lighter ammo, then the 168 is there to take it down.  It's gonna be the most effective round you can use, by far.  Pick up a box of each and see what your LMT likes better.

All I use for big game are the 300WSM Nosler Accubond cartridges from 150gr to 180gr with the latter being my go to. I haven't ever used my gas guns for hunting but would still feel very confident when using the Accubonds. 

I agree that the best advice is to buy a few different boxes of ammo and see which your weapon prefers. These days, as long as your using hunting ammunition, the bullets are all pretty effective. 

I've shot everything, from rabbits to black bears, with my .308 (Mossberg 4x4) using Hornady 155gr A-MAX Match.

My father uses a .270 or a .30-06 for Elk. I think he shoots between 130gr and 150gr. 

If you can put the pill in the kill box, a good bullet will almost always perform.

I love the A-Max's, and have wanted to use those or SMK's or the Berger Target's to hunt but have been hesitant to do that.

Of course the Secret Service, and Marines have used the 168gr and 175 gr SMK's as sniper bullets for a long time, so I would assume they'd be just fine. ;-)

I'll tell you there is nothing quite as devastatingly elegant and a Berger 230gr OTM Hybrid Target slamming into the steel at 1150yds!

(Out of my 300WM bolt gun)

Barnes are excellent, though I have settled in with the Nosler Accubond LR's and Berger hunting bullets.

Berger is in the LA area, US Optics is out in the Island Empire, you're in mecca Brother, you should go visit some of those guys and spread the 308AR gospel! ;-)

They sure did. It's in phases but the 1st phase, besides anything in the Condor zone which already requires it, began July 1st of 2015.

The final phase, effective July 1st 2019, all game taken anywhere in the entire state must be done so with lead free ammunition. 

Tried to post a link but this craptastic new mobile version of the website screws it up still.

Edited by Malig8r
clarification

They sure did. It's in phases but the 1st phase, besides anything in the Condor zone which already requires it, began July 1st of 2015.

The final phase, effective July 1st 2019, all game taken anywhere in the entire state must be done so with lead free ammunition. 

Tried to post a link but this craptastic new mobile version of the website screws it up still.

Being an OG Cali guy myself, I feel horrible for you, and, well gee, I wish I could help, but speaking from my ex Cali experience here in Idaho, listen the whole state is filled with racists, skinheads, traffic is ridiculous, meth addicts are everywhere, crime is rampant... need I say more?

There's 48 other states to choose from, but don't come here!

...for your own good of course. ;-)

Ya the mobile version of our beloved 308AR is... whats the PC way to say it... hmm.. oh yes, challenged.

Ha!

Edited by GreyGoose

I imagine any of the 'copper solids' would do the job, as long as they fit in the magazine.

I've loaded some 168 gr. Barnes TSX;

http://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tsx/

Fit the mag just fine but I haven't found a good accurate load yet,  I've only done a couple ladders with IMR 4064 and H4895 but they were all over the place. Odds are I'll have used up the box of 50 before I get anything I like. Might be some factory loads that work fine though. They have a good rep as stoppers.

A round patched lead ball in front of 80 - 100  grains of black powder has been killing elk for almost 200 years. I wonder how many elk have been killed with a .22 long rifle?  I know of one.

Has everyone with a set of jingle balls left California for browner pastures and let their golden state go to crap? You folks need to get organized and elect some public servants with sense ......$hit fire!

What are the traditional backpowder guys going to hunt with? bows and arrows or slingshots and marbles.

Edited by mrmackc

I didn't see anything excluding lead;

California
Muzzleloader Regulations
Legal Description:
“Wheel-lock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including “in-line” muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation. A “projectile” is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device, which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force. Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle only tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles as described in subsection, equipped with open or “peep” type sights only. Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle/archery tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles with sights as described above. Upon application to the department, the department may issue a Disabled Muzzleloader Scope Permit, free of any charge or fee, to any person with a physical disability, as defined which prevents him/her from being able to focus on the target utilizing muzzleloading rifles equipped with open or “peep” sights. The Disabled Muzzleloader Scope Permit authorizes the disabled hunter to use a 1X scope on a muzzleloading rifle.”

a. Only legal muzzleloaders allowed in muzzleloading seasons.
b. In-line muzzleloaders are legal.
c. Must be single-barrel that fires a single round-ball or conical projectile.
d. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, they must be minimum of a .40 caliber.
e. To hunt elk or moose, they must be minimum of a .50 caliber.
f. From a .40 caliber to a .50 caliber, bullets must weigh minimum 170 grains.
g. If greater than a .50 caliber, bullets must weigh minimum 210 grains.
h. Shotshell primers are legal. 
i. Pelletized powder systems prohibited in muzzleloading seasons.
j. Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzleloading seasons.
k. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal. Scopes or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries and electronic gear are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons.
l. Sabots are prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Cloth patches are not sabots.
m. Smokeless powder prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Black powder and black-powder substitutes are legal.
n. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to muzzleloader during muzzleloading seasons.
General Muzzleloader Seasons
(Deer) November 10th- December 12th 
(Elk) September 8th- November 4th 

I've loaded some 168 gr. Barnes TSX;

http://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tsx/

Fit the mag just fine but I haven't found a good accurate load yet,  I've only done a couple ladders with IMR 4064 and H4895 but they were all over the place. Odds are I'll have used up the box of 50 before I get anything I like. Might be some factory loads that work fine though. They have a good rep as stoppers.

Brother, snatch up some Reloder 15 powder for those 168 TSX projos.  Start at 41.0 and ladder up.  You'll see some magic happen between 42.0 and 42.5gr.  Don't go over 45.0gr max charge.  44.8gr nets me 2750fps.