• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Carbon Handguard install

lovetabike

The handguard didn't come with the barrel nut?  I don't know much about Christensen Arms, either, but I'm pretty sure you need a barrel nut. 
Can you post pics?  The only CF handguard I can find on their website looks like it uses set screws at least at 3 and 9 o'clock to secure it to the barrel nut.  Are we talking small frame(AR-15) or large frame (.308 AR)?

.308 AR. Nope , no barrel nut included. I have a question to Christian Arms but no answer yet. I need to call them. I agree that some type of barrel nut is needed. The posted video and the online users manual show some type of barrel nut with external threads so that the handguard is screwed on. The handguard has internal threads about 2 inches into the guard which I didn't notice before. IMG_0402.thumb.JPG.dfd8c636111a5c5cb10f7IMG_0403.thumb.JPG.ccdc473001f8d95101e51IMG_0403.thumb.JPG.ccdc473001f8d95101e51IMG_0402.thumb.JPG.dfd8c636111a5c5cb10f7

IMG_0403.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, I can't wait to see this one.  I've been hearing a lot more about Christensen Arms and their hard-on for CF lately, and I'd like to see how it all works out.
Ya know, now that I see that barrel nut, I have to say it looks awfully similar to the old barrel nut design from Matrix Aerospace.  If you need a wrench to torque that baby on, Toolndie7 might have one left over.  Took me a minute to find the original thread, but here's what I'm talking about:

Yup. I was pretty excited to get the barrel nut. After taking a closer look I started thinking, what kind of wrench will work on this puppy. I took a look at the above post but I think the spacing is a bit off from that. I'm going to give Christensen Arms another call and see what they recommend. So I have my carbon hand-guard and carbon wrapped 18" .308 barrel. I'm going with mega arms and their ambi billet upper lower set. The stock is going to be the LUTH-AR MBA-3. I'm hoping this will be a relatively light AR.

I think it's gonna be one of those where you torque the nut on, thread the handguard all the way on, then back it off until the rails align, then lock it in with the set screws on the side (I'm probably waaaaaaaaay off, though).

Hey, lovetabike, do you have a mic?  If you do, measure the width of the gap on the barrel nut.  The teeth on my wrench are approx. .185" wide, would that work?  If it's too small, or if you can't find a wrench from Christensen, you could probably use something like a single pin spanner or castle nut wrench, but if you're like me and want one made specifically for that nut, you could always send your barrel nut to someone and get them to make one for you.  I might know a guy.... :D

Well, I gave Christensen Arms another call and got another "What?, we didn't include that?". No big deal, they will send one out and I expect I will get it next week. In case anyone is checking, their web side currently doesn't have any components, just the rifles they currently make. They stated they will have the web site updated in a month or so with components you can purchase. 

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, lovetabike said:

Well, this hand guard turned out to be a miss. I FINALLY  purchased my Mega Arms .308 upper/lower and found that the Christensen hand guard does not fit DPMS uppers. 

Armalite-threaded?...

yea ... pretty sad. My friends are saying 'When is this supposedly build going to happen?'. I had my mind set on a mega maten nb coated upper/lower set and they seem to come out with batches very infrequently. Now I'm debating on finding another carbon fiber hand guard or aluminum.

010.JPG

013.JPG

11 hours ago, lovetabike said:

That's what I've been told but I haven't actually tried it on an Armalite upper. Going to have to try and sell this sucker and get another. Too bad, it's a nice hand guard and matches my Christensen .308 barrel nicely.

What's the length of it?  I missed it if you posted that previously. I might be interested, for a longer-term project.  Lemme know, man.