• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newbie with a magazine question.

Brian Ski

I just picked up a DPMS .308. Looking to pick up some extra mags for it. What is the difference between the

Magpul PMAG 25 LR/SR GEN M3

and the

Magpul PMAG 25 M118 LR/SR Gen M3

Are they interchangeable???

Any good prices on mags?? Ones to look for?? or ones to stay away from??? 20 round? 25 round?? or???

Thanks,

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a DPMS LR-308 oracle and use the 20 round Pmag LR/SR M3 magazines. I have no issues with them at all. I like the 20 round mags as one box of ammo fills the mag. 20 plus one in the chambered can do some serious damage real quick. I believe the PMAG M118 is for the XM118 175 grain long range ammo as the over all length is a little more. I can't speak to the interchangeability thou. I buy mine at a local gun store for 19 bucks. Hope this help.

Shane

As Shane said the difference is the COL they will handle, M118 P-Mag at 2.835 and a standard gen 3 P-Mag at 2.825 for the mags I have. They both work the same for me in the two rifles I have that run P-Mags. The M118 mag is a 25 round mag but don't really use it due to being so long, I actually use a 10 round P-Mag the most because it works the best when shooting from a bench;

https://forum.308ar.com/topic/12319-magpul-m118-gen-3-p-mags-review/#comment-169443

Palmetto State Armory runs a special every so often that bundles P-Mags and some ammo but I don't see it now, still have decent prices though;

http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=p-mag+lr

I've also got some good deals from Primary Arms;

http://www.primaryarms.com/ar-308-magazines/c/110700/

The Lancer mag gets top reviews from most everyone that tries them, here is a thread with some close up pictures of one. The bolt catch height issue I mention turned out not to be an issue, never had a problem with the Lancer, never had a problem with a P-Mag either though;

https://forum.308ar.com/topic/12327-lancer-l7awm-20rd-magazine-reviews/#comment-169584

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

As Shane said the difference is the COL they will handle, M118 P-Mag at 2.835 and a standard gen 3 P-Mag at 2.825 for the mags I have. They both work the same for me in the two rifles I have that run P-Mags.

Edited by Brian Ski
missquote

28 minutes ago, Brian Ski said:

That is the part that has me puzzled... a company makes 2 mags that are .010 different between each other. Is the M118 that much weaker. Why not make them all that size??? Since they both fit.

From what I understand the M118 version is just a bit larger, Magpul puts a disclaimer on its web page;

"To accommodate longer than SAAMI-spec match ammunition, this magazine may not drop free from all makes of lower receivers." 

I'll measure the outside difference when I get home in a couple weeks, got me curious now. 

I think some it may be marketing but even .010 in can make a big difference when handloading. What puzzles me most is that they do not make a 10 round M118 version since most people will be shooting the longer match ammo from a bench???? 

Edited by jtallen83

The standard PMAG 3 came out before the XM118 ammo was released to the civilian/military market IIRK. So PMAG released the M118 so those big ole nasty 175 grain bullets would fit. Note that they don't make a 20 round M118 magazine. The M118, I would think, was geared towards LE and military for the extra round capacity. And from what I have read I see no inherent weakness in the M118 magazine. Especially since it appears to be geared for the LE and military markets.

Note the difference in the forward corner shapes of the two magazines. I wouldn't worry about the M118 being weak. They have been battle tested.

PMAG 25 SR/LR Gen M3

PMAG M3.png

PMAG 25 M118 SR/LR GEN M3

m118 pmag.png

The magazine length is the internal difference for use with the M118 marksman ammunition. It is 175GR Sierra Matchking jacketed hollow point versus a 150gr hardball round nose boat tail FMJ style ammunition. I would honestly look into the Ammo Storage Components magazine. They handle the longest overall cartridge length, are at comparable price points and built to last a lifetime. Though, if you want a plastic magazine for the 'weight reduction' go ahead.

I have never used lancer magazines.. I thought they were very intriguing. Then, I started researching. Plenty of people have posted youtube videos showing how the ar15/m4 lancer magazines will break and crumble. The magpul magazine is a much less brittle plastic that tends be eaten or chewed. Scratch one with a pocket knife.. or a rough wall, asphalt, something with a sharp corner.. Will it alter the function? Probably not for a while. Just to point out, it has been noted that the inner front wall of magpul magazines tend to wear grooves. It seems hollow points increase the speed of this. Again, many people here will comment about their pmags and function is still retained even when 'worn'.

I personally am going with the metal magazines. I never could tell much difference between the stamped and plastic magazines in weight when comparing the ar15. I have only steel magazines for the sr25/lr308 pattern.

I didn't actually mean the M118s were weak. It just seemed strange to have a manufacturer make 2 models so similar. Kind of a "there has to be more to it". I understand they made a M118 model to suit the larger OAL ammo.
To me it would be like Chevy making 2 Camaros one with 250 HP and another with 255 HP. I guess I am the guy who asks the goofy questions.

Thanks for the info, I will look up the ammo storage components mags. I am a fan of metal mags anyway. Thanks for the opinions.

11 minutes ago, 308lrnewb said:

I have never used lancer magazines.. I thought they were very intriguing. Then, I started researching. Plenty of people have posted youtube videos showing how the ar15/m4 lancer magazines will break and crumble.

Lancer did have an issue and recalled a bunch of magazines, the videos I have seen relate to these, people slamming Lancer without realizing there was a recall. I'm not going to beat on my lancer mags but I'm pretty confident in them. Haven't heard of any issues with Lancer 308 mags.

1 minute ago, Brian Ski said:

I didn't actually mean the M118s were weak. It just seemed strange to have a manufacturer make 2 models so similar. Kind of a "there has to be more to it". I understand they made a M118 model to suit the larger OAL ammo.
To me it would be like Chevy making 2 Camaros one with 250 HP and another with 255 HP. I guess I am the guy who asks the goofy questions.

Thanks for the info, I will look up the ammo storage components mags. I am a fan of metal mags anyway. Thanks for the opinions.

Chevy does make two different Camaros. You have the run of the mill Camaro and then you have the "hold on tite" SS. lol I always liked metal magazines until I forgot about all of my old IPSC .45 magazines in a box out in the garage. I ran across them one day only to find them covered in rust. Bummed me out big time. And I do have a mix of both for my LR-308. All the ammo and magazines are now stored in the house.

I still haven't got an answer as to why they never released the M118 magazine in a twenty round version. Even the Magpul rep at a local gun show have an answer.

Shane

40 minutes ago, beantown said:

Chevy does make two different Camaros. You have the run of the mill Camaro and then you have the "hold on tite" SS. lol I always liked metal magazines until I forgot about all of my old IPSC .45 magazines in a box out in the garage. I ran across them one day only to find them covered in rust. Bummed me out big time. And I do have a mix of both for my LR-308. All the ammo and magazines are now stored in the house.

Shane

Back in the day they had a bunch of camaros. But the HP was all over the place. ;) Looks like the ASC mags are stainless. Everything rusts over here. The cast iron exhaust manifold on my truck rusted in half.

As far as the .45 mags... I have always wanted to get a GI copy 1911. Maybe a Rock Island. Something cheap for fun with the GI look.

1 hour ago, 308lrnewb said:

The magazine length is the internal difference for use with the M118 marksman ammunition. It is 175GR Sierra Matchking jacketed hollow point versus a 150gr hardball round nose boat tail FMJ style ammunition. I would honestly look into the Ammo Storage Components magazine. They handle the longest overall cartridge length, are at comparable price points and built to last a lifetime. Though, if you want a plastic magazine for the 'weight reduction' go ahead.

I have never used lancer magazines.. I thought they were very intriguing. Then, I started researching. Plenty of people have posted youtube videos showing how the ar15/m4 lancer magazines will break and crumble. The magpul magazine is a much less brittle plastic that tends be eaten or chewed. Scratch one with a pocket knife.. or a rough wall, asphalt, something with a sharp corner.. Will it alter the function? Probably not for a while. Just to point out, it has been noted that the inner front wall of magpul magazines tend to wear grooves. It seems hollow points increase the speed of this. Again, many people here will comment about their pmags and function is still retained even when 'worn'.

I personally am going with the metal magazines. I never could tell much difference between the stamped and plastic magazines in weight when comparing the ar15. I have only steel magazines for the sr25/lr308 pattern.

DO you have ANY use-experience with either MagPul mags or Lancers?  I'm not talking about just loading an empty mag in an unfinished rifle, here.  USE.

Also, YOU are the only person I've ever heard of, ever, that's "noted that the inner front wall of magpul magazines tend to wear grooves..."  You are the one spreading that info...  And just you...

Edited by 98Z5V

How about linking the information in here, since you know exactly where it is...  That would be a start, to back your claims up.  Also, the specific question I asked of you was this:  " DO you have ANY use-experience with either MagPul mags or Lancers?"  You didn't answer it.  Just another smartassed comment...

I newb's defense I have worn a groove in my 10 round P-mags from shooting FGMM 175's and M118 LR's and posted about it here. The groove is so slight it is inconsequential though and has never been an issue.

I did look for info about Lancer mags crumbling, didn't find a thing on that, broken followers but they were recalled. I'd be interested in seeing first hand info on bad Lancer L7 mags?????

I stated the above.

I newb's defense I have worn a groove in my 10 round P-mags from shooting FGMM 175's and M118 LR's and posted about it here. The groove is so slight it is inconsequential though and has never been an issue.

I did look for info about Lancer mags crumbling, didn't find a thing on that, broken followers but they were recalled. I'd be interested in seeing first hand info on bad Lancer L7 mags?????

JT states this. Please read my final note on "Again..."

Let me dredge around on youtube for the video where the guy shatters a L5 lancer magazine by smacking it against something in his house.

38 minutes ago, 308lrnewb said:

Yea, sorry - he broke the follower? Also, the rounds fall out? It seems someone else mentioned this in a post above. Either way - there is a reason why at qual day on range you must use USGI magazines..

This is on the issue they recalled a lot of L5's for, saw this same video when I searched, every other review and comparison put Lancers at or near the top, nothing on crumbling...........