• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newbie with a magazine question.

Brian Ski

6 hours ago, Brian Ski said:

I just picked up a DPMS .308. Looking to pick up some extra mags for it. What is the difference between the

Magpul PMAG 25 LR/SR GEN M3

and the

Magpul PMAG 25 M118 LR/SR Gen M3

Are they interchangeable???

Any good prices on mags?? Ones to look for?? or ones to stay away from??? 20 round? 25 round?? or???

Thanks,

BTW Brian welcome to the forum feel free to post up in the intro section

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the op was talking about mags for his ar308? Then you Newb started talking bout m4 ar15 mags? How in the hell does a lancer mag for an ar15 compare to what the op was asking?Wasnt the question about mags for an ar308? I dont plan on beating the crap out of my mags anyways.....these lancer 308 mags are first class...btw anyone who keeps their mags in a laundry basket shouldnt even own a rifle :laffs:  Wash

004.JPG

1 hour ago, 308lrnewb said:

No, no I do not have any magazines for M4's here...

ResizedImage_1475367557035.jpg

Wasn't talking about AR15 mags, but...  I wouldn't even call that "a good start." 

Either way - there is a reason why at qual day on range you must use USGI magazines..

What the hell are you talking about?...

That seems like plenty to me.. Well over 400 rounds worth of storage right there. You can run with all those?

*edit*

Mod thinks I need a mag rack to be 'tacticool uber leet' Maybe next time I will crack one of the super owner safes open for a picture..

The quality of their 'quality control' may say something. The materials are the same. That, coupled with a likely similar tolerance in wall thickness due to the same material usage.. Perhaps the issue is not just the 'that was ar15, this question is over ar308'. Problems trend manufacturing process and materials.

Edited by 308lrnewb

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Wasn't talking about AR15 mags, but...  I wouldn't even call that "a good start." 

What the hell are you talking about?...

Good question .

I've tested just about every mag available for the 308AR & in normal use they all worked fine & I like to dump full mags when testing , over & over again & of course I'm not going to beat them & my AR like he did . I'm pretty sure you can break anything if one wanted to, so that test only means one thing ,he wanted to break them , period . I think only a fool would abuse an AR like the video shows , to test mags .

I  can probably go on the internet & find someone somewhere who has had an issue with anything , so one internet ninja who has an issue with two of them & they are all bad , give me a break !

I've had well over forty plus years of Metal Mags in all forms of AR's & they most certainly have issues , $hit happens .

Use what you like , but if you have no personal experience with something , stick to facts & Ya , that's my girly side.

2 hours ago, 308lrnewb said:

Do some research on other forums. Appreciated. No, I have no experience. In fact I've never even held a rifle. I actually do not own a single firearm at all. I thought this was basket knitting forums...

... I sense this is not going to end well.

Last I heard.. USMC does not allow the use of anything other than USGI magazines. Now, when deployed if a company is using personal supplied items.. Though for qualification(which is an active thing), you must use the steel magazine.

Sure, everything has issues - the mind's eye is a perfect world. I agree to this fully. We all compromise when moving thoughts from the realm of concept to a standard in reality. Once something is brought to existence, it no longer is 'perfect'. The difference in weight is moot to me. My concerns are with the pmags and others - they are not to 'spec' and with tolerance stackup issues can arise. This was noted among the M4 lowers long ago and is also know to be an issue with the ar308 receivers. This was mended in ways by redesigning the overall tolerance for both frames. However.. K.I.S.S

13 minutes ago, 308lrnewb said:

My concerns are with the pmags and others - they are not to 'spec' and with tolerance stackup issues can arise.

15 minutes ago, 308lrnewb said:

This was mended in ways by redesigning the overall tolerance for both frames.

Are you referring to "mil-spec" with this? Because there is no such thing as "mil-spec" with a 308-AR. One of our beloved rifles nuances, that I love so well. :cool:

washguy has the best post EVER! ROFLMFAO - Mr. Whiskers!!

Bean - I mean 'within spec' as in 'specification'. The specification that each manufacturer places on their magazine well vs the specification that each magazine manufacturer places on their outside tolerances. I did not type 'milspec' for a reason.

2 hours ago, 308lrnewb said:

Last I heard..

...usuallly means you have zero practical experience with "what you heard."  Zero. 

I can tell you for a fukking fact that I have qualified with my issued M4A1 with non-issued, non-USGI magazines on a record qualification course, while on Active Duty.

Routinely.

The actual magazines I used, as well as MANY others, might shock you.

This statement you made is pure bullschit:

Either way - there is a reason why at qual day on range you must use USGI magazines..

OP, sorry I fukked up your magazine thread.

Edited by 98Z5V

On October 1, 2016 at 10:05 PM, washguy said:

Just for you 308 Newb who came here asking how to put his one and only 308 together      Wash

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

someone finally nailed it. First time I have seen this. A classic. Now excuse me while I go play with my Armalite "B" Gen 2 magazines. And no, you can't have them, they are mine. I don't care.

17 minutes ago, Brian Ski said:

Well, I went with the ASC 20 round metal mags, I got them for a good price. I think about $15 ea. Well they got here, and look really nice. They are heavy and strong. I bet I can darn near pound nails with them. I haven't tried them yet, but I am happy with them so far.

All than matters is your happy with them