• Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 build

B0fuh

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, mrmackc said:

I have read a lot of information and  about the benefit of a. Pressure node / free floating in wood stock and did some fiberglass bedded stocks on custom stocked long range rifles primarely 3006 and 300 mag rifles. We found that a rifle with the clearance of a single playing card was plenty of freefloat on our rifles with slings  at the range.  We used strips of plastic gage to determine how much and where  (amplitude and frequency) that the barrel moved up and down and side to side with various rounds and that is how we determined that the thickness of a playing card was ample free floating. Kind of how an old timey red neck did things before ultra high speed cameras and computers were around.

By the way what is an 11B besides a long narrow shoe size?

This makes sense, I guess that's always been the standard I have heard too.  

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

11B in what unit?...

I bounced around for the first six years in the guard.  I mobilized in June 2004 with a heavy unit of action and our company was linked with a battalion out of Hawaii (unsure of the battalion) for operation Baton Rouge in samara.  After that, before the first election, we were moved to Hawijah with 3-27 I believe (wolfhounds).  after the election we were tasked to the group rotating through warrior air base as their QRF, air infill fire support, and raid support.  That fall, we were extended to stay with a 101st battalion to help provide a little extra support through the handoff.   I came stateside for about six months before being reassigned to a PRT in ft. Bragg.  We had an extended train up which is where the Naval Commander (lt. colonel I believe) got authorization to have me attend the previously mentioned shooting schools because I was the team's DM.  Not long after that assignment, I was released from my contract early to enlist active duty because my entire enlistment had been active to that point.  I then was assigned to 1st ID in Germany but that was changed due to custody issues and I was assigned to 1-509th ABN in ft. Polk until discharge.  How's that for a ten year nutshell? 

1 hour ago, B0fuh said:

How's that for a ten year nutshell? 

Pretty damn good!  Impressive, actually.

I just found it odd that someone such as yourself, and proclaimed experience, was trying to put the barrel nut over the gasblock.  Those two things kinda don't go together.

Also, the "barrel harmonics testing in the military" thing.  That was more of hip-pocket training on your part, but it sounded like that was something you were conducting on behalf of/sanctioned/assigned by the military...  Maybe I read it wrong.

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Pretty damn good!  Impressive, actually.

I just found it odd that someone such as yourself, and proclaimed experience, was trying to put the barrel nut over the gasblock.  Those two things kinda don't go together.

Also, the "barrel harmonics testing in the military" thing.  That was more of hip-pocket training on your part, but it sounded like that was something you were conducting on behalf of/sanctioned/assigned by the military...  Maybe I read it wrong.

Oh no no, I definitely have done enough research  to know that part of the order.  This is, however, my first build so I'm absolutely likely to make those types of ignorant and boneheaded statements/questions.  The carbon fiber tube I was going to make into a handguard had to fit over the gas block and slide onto the barrel nut requiring the barrel nut to have an outside diameter large enough.  I was maybe no clear enough about that.   

"Barrel Harmonics Testing" is, as I'm certain you're familiar, how an NCO makes hip-pocket training sound significant enough to justify signing for the K-D range as often as we did.  Anything that could be made to sound wonderfully beneficial to the sniper platoon and marksmen was hard to deny.  ?

Edited by B0fuh

Okay guys, I have most of the parts ordered and on the way.  Matt.cross, thank you for updating my original post.  I greatly appreciate all of your input on the handguard issue.  Your opinions and experience make me feel like that will be a sound decision.  With regards to the barrel, I'm almost certain that I'll go with the 16" as my intended use is varmint/hunting 500yds-ish as well as out to 750 on paper.  I'm not certain on optics outside of the eotech.  Best case scenario, I'd like a turret scope that tracks well and returns to zero.  I'm entertaining the thought of a fixed power scope as well.  Maybe in time, a 6x acog with a red dot combo.  Any thoughts?  Also, trigger selection?  I'm leaning on single stage, would like 3-4lb pull.  The trigger is a higher priority right now, I'll buy that in the next week or so.  

Thanks fellas

10 hours ago, B0fuh said:

I assume you're referring to the acog, that's a tough pill to swallow but in time I'm sure I can talk myself into it

acog not necessarily, was replying to your posting about a trigger and a fixed power scope for your build. BTW the lower looks great!  I have two fixed power scopes that I have had mounted for over 40 years on a Springfield and a Mouser custom 3006 deer rifles,that were used when I got them, that have always stayed on at sight in days, they are 4x and 6x Weavers. 

As for triggers I also like a single stage 3lb. pull.  I lucked out getting a MechArmor drop in before they had the patent problems. They are still available under a different brand name.

41 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

... With JP products ; go all in or don't use any parts. If you just use the "Trick" parts , problems happens !

I'm only using their buffer, I hope you're not suggesting that their buffer doesn't work with anyone else's parts.

That seems like a poor business model.....our parts are great.....so great that they don't actually work.....unless you buy more parts from us.....I promise they'll work if you do....promise....

Kidding aside, I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it and I'm totally past the point of no return so I guess I'll have to cross my fingers.  

4 hours ago, B0fuh said:

I'm only using their buffer, I hope you're not suggesting that their buffer doesn't work with anyone else's parts.

That seems like a poor business model.....our parts are great.....so great that they don't actually work.....unless you buy more parts from us.....I promise they'll work if you do....promise....

Kidding aside, I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it and I'm totally past the point of no return so I guess I'll have to cross my fingers.  

If you use that one part , use their spring and BCG. Their stuff works best as a complete system.

1 hour ago, MikedaddyH said:

If you use that one part , use their spring and BCG. Their stuff works best as a complete system.

Oh okay, I get what you're saying.  I have the nlx 308 bcg on the way in the coming days already.   Maybe I will give the gentleman a call on Monday to have a chat with him about it before it ships.   That way any issues can be resolved.  The only reason I didn't go with their bcg in the first place was because they have either the lmos, vmos, and fmos.  None of the three are either standard weight or reasonably priced.   If I had to use one, it would be the lmos.   Hopefully there won't be any problems though.   Thank you for bringing it to my attention and I'll definitely let you know what I learn.  

Chuck

There have been some guys who've had issues with it in the past, the KISS method  is always a good one. Someone here once said build them with standard parts once you get her running get some ammo thru her, then maybe start tricking her out. Thought that was good advice.

maybe shoot that company an email too