• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel Fluting

308kiwi

Decided to have a go at fluting one of my AR barrels, not for any particular reason but it's a process I've not tried before, came out pretty well, probably more cosmetic than practical but hey...

18" barrel, .936" dia gas block to muzzle, 1" from gas block to barrel extension, flutes are 5/16" wide and 1/8" deep,  gave it all a media blast and then polish.

Flutes1_zpsd715d006.jpg

Flutes2_zpse4ba46dc.jpg

Flutes3_zps3c7848aa.jpg

Edited by 308kiwi

On 8/31/2017 at 0:45 AM, 98Z5V said:

We'll get him for a visit this fall - let's see if we can kidnap him and keep him!!!!   :banana:

I figure that's WAY EASIER than trying to coerce him into moving over here...    :lmao:

Specially since he can buy suppressors over the counter!

Chloroform.................Thankfully you guys are talking in jest??, well I hope so, cause otherwise it's a little scary:laffs:

Anyway, back on topic, fitted barrel back together and grouped it @100yds this morning, my 'hack' fluting job hasn't changed accuracy in any way, still shoots OK.

Ammo was FNB 55gr FMJ mil surp that the NZ Army disposed of a few years ago, a few of us got down on it big time as it was ridiculously cheap and shoots reasonably consistent groups.

The tape measure is graduated in cm in case you're thinking inches and saying to yourself, "my dog can shoot a tighter group than that Kiwi"

(2.54cm = 1")

AR15 Group.jpg

20 minutes ago, 308kiwi said:

Chloroform.................Thankfully you guys are talking in jest??, well I hope so, cause otherwise it's a little scary:laffs:

Anyway, back on topic, fitted barrel back together and grouped it @100yds this morning, my 'hack' fluting job hasn't changed accuracy in any way, still shoots OK.

Ammo was FNB 55gr FMJ mil surp that the NZ Army disposed of a few years ago, a few of us got down on it big time as it was ridiculously cheap and shoots reasonably consistent groups.

The tape measure is graduated in cm in case you're thinking inches and saying to yourself, "my dog can shoot a tighter group than that Kiwi"

(2.54cm = 1")

AR15 Group.jpg

Those are pretty tight inches on that tape lol

12 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Nah........my ex-wife loves it. :lmao:

And I thought this was in relation to the smaller markings on the tape....:laffs:

Until I actually read who/ what you quoted.....:hornet:

This was just an inner LOL for me, as I meant nothing personal....just saw it as self deprecating humor...

No offense taken my good man. This place is the ultimate teacher of the "thick skin" policy of life. And I had it long before I stumbled into the group of misfits around here. Probably why I've gotten along so well with all of the brothers since the get-go.

You can't kick somebody in the balls and laugh, if you can't take being kicked in the balls and laughed at.