• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

bet you have never seen this one,

Building an AR-10. I have an Aero Precision lower M5.

Upon assembling it, I ran into an issue. 

I am having problems installing the magazine release/catch button assembly.

It appears the ones I purchased for it,  and others I have on hand, do not fit it well.

When I screw in the button, its like the little threaded stud is not long enough. I can only get a few threads in to the button, and

Still have sufficient button sticking out to work well.

I am  very well versed in doing this and I have built numerous AR’s.

I also pulled the same catch assembly out of a 308 PSA lower that worked perfectly with it and tried it in the new lower and it too would not work.

I can get  the stud to screw into the button further to where there is enough of it threaded into the  stud for safe engagement but when I do,

The button barely projects far enough out of the side t\of the receiver to use.

I have several mag catch/release kits in my gun room and  measured them all and they are the same length and all work in  different platforms except that NONE of the work in

This lower I just bought from you.

By some chance does this lower take a special or longer stud than other receiver brands do to work?

308 button/ magrelese is longer than an ar15 no standard in the sr25 or the ar10. what do your buttons measure including the psa 10 version? 

ill get some measurements tonight if someone dosnt chime in first.

Edited by sketch
good shits

Apparently not everyone has. I'm being asked to measure the button. That should be in indication that everyone is not aware of a longer stud requirement on this lower.

Im still not sure I fully understand it

either

How about lets make it simple. Does the Aero 308 Lower receiver require a different and longer mag release stud than other lower receivers? and if so, who ALL make them

Edited by xxlfitness@yahoo.com
spellling

You’ve been given two solutions so far. Not all parts from an AR15 part kit or a part kit from another manufacturer will work. One sure fire solution is to use genuine AR10 parts from Armalite ( by the way, you are not building an AR10, stop using that terminology, it’s misleading and incorrect), they are always the best parts kits and tend to solve issues like this before they arise.

Im using an Aero lower. Last time I looked, It didn't say Armalite on it.

I also ordered and have on hand several Ar-10 LPK's and NONE of the mag catch parts work in this lower. I am NOT attempting to use AR-15 LPK's as you have asserted. 

Also what do you mean I have been given TWO solutions? I count one and if thats the answer, then thats the  answer.

And ok lets hear it, what is it that you dont like about the building of an AR-10. Are we all caught up now in terminology, your a purist of just exactly what is up your ass?

1 minute ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

I also ordered and have on hand several Ar-10 LPK's and NONE of the mag catch parts work in this lower.

You have tried a genuine ArmaLite AR-10 mag catch and it does not work? we are not talking about the generic "AR-10" LPK's but genuine Armalite parts. These issues are the reason we harp on not using the term AR-10 if it is not an Armalite, people end up with issues and parts they cannot use.

I am building and AR platform weapon system chambered for 308/7.62.

I am using an Aero Precision Lower. IF this lower brand, somehow qualifies this weapon as being an Armalite style/AR-10, then fantastic. You guys can call it whatever you want and Im fine with that. I'm just trying to find a mag release that works. If that means I need an Armalite mag release, do be it, fine, Im all ears. Looking for one now, soon as I locate someone who has this, I will buy it and case closed right?

13 minutes ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

I also ordered and have on hand several Ar-10 LPK's and NONE of the mag catch parts work in this lower. I am NOT attempting to use AR-15 LPK's as you have asserted. 

Also what do you mean I have been given TWO solutions? I count one and if thats the answer, then thats the  answer.

And ok lets hear it, what is it that you dont like about the building of an AR-10. Are we all caught up now in terminology, your a purist of just exactly what is up your ass?

You aren’t building an AR10. AR10 is a strictly Armalite term as they have proprietary parts that may or may not work with other 308AR rifles. But you knew this of course, didn’t you? This is very important when you build large frame AR rifles as certain terminology refers to patterns and proprietary parts. You haven’t stated any parts you are using other than an Aero lower or whether it was bought complete (which I assumed you did not because you are having issues with a bolt catch). The two options suggested were 1. Use an Aero LPK 2. Use Armalite LPK.

Btw, maybe your having a bad day or something but your attitude and general sense of cheating out to cut corners is where you are running into problems. I can assure you we have discussed this more than once on this forum. Sit, search and read and many of your questions can be answered through previous threads.

or you can leave. 

There IS another option.... I ran into this problem earlier this year and couldn't find anyone with the Armalite catch in stock - spent days searching the inter web and struck out!  Then, one day I was browsing around KAK's website looking for the 18" 5.56 SPR Barrel that Ares used to sell and there was this:

https://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-parts/308-lower-parts/308-lpk-parts/special-extended-mag-release-arm

I figured "what the hell" and bought a couple - sure enough, they fit the Aero 308 lowers like they were made for em and the price isn't bad either - your welcome!:thumbup:

42 minutes ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

Do you want want help with your issue or are you here to just be a jackass??? Don’t matter wtf is stamped on your rifle, some parts are interchangeable others are not. Your not building a rifle with a standard milspec like the little guys. 

We’re all here to help each other all egos checked at the door.....

9 minutes ago, guruofhotrod said:

Yea, I got 1.266" on a standard DPMS Catch and 1.380" on the KAK Catch - I don't have an Armalite Catch to measure but, I suspect it's around 1-3/8" OAL

FWIW, We like to use 308AR or Large Frame AR to refer to the bigger AR's - it's a more generic term:thumbup:

you got a button measurement for the kak?