• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

870 with detachable Mag

So,... replace a reliable tube magazine that can easily hold more ammo, is already attached to the firearm and is faster to reload or top off with a box magazine that hold less ammo, and would take an odd sized carrier for spare magazines, and extra magazines would add X amount each to the cost of the firearm.

I'm glad Remington is on the cutting edge....

11 minutes ago, AngelDeVille said:

So,... replace a reliable tube magazine that can easily hold more ammo, is already attached to the firearm and is faster to reload or top off with a box magazine that hold less ammo, and would take an odd sized carrier for spare magazines, and extra magazines would add X amount each to the cost of the firearm.

I only see two advantages to a detachable box magazine on a shotgun:

1. Capacity is whatever you want it to be (once Remington and the aftermarket catch up...). Tube magazines are, for all practical purposes, limited to barrel length. With a detachable box mag, a company can produce a 3-, 5-, 10-, 15-, etc. round magazine.

2. Once a person becomes proficient with mag changes, it certainly shouldn't take longer to swap to a loaded mag than it would to reload a tube magazine.

Edited by COBrien

I could easily enter either side of the argument. There is an obvious attraction to being able to quickly slap a magazine into a SBS system, that normally would only have 3–5 rounds of capacity. On the flipside a shotgun is one of the worst weapons you could take into a combat situation or gunfight. No matter how “tactical” you make your shotgun, it does not change the fact that it is a mission/task specific, utilitarian, firearm. Five to ten 12ga shells will never equal the combat effectiveness of a 20/30/40 round magazine fed rifle.  A moderately trained rifle operator should easily be able to put an entire magazine into a target before a shotgun operator runs his weapon dry. Going back though, a rifle operator will never have the option of using a Less- lethal round, a breaching round, an emergency flare, or a chemical device.  At the same time, you’ll never see a precision  shot, at any distance, with a shotgun... 

I saw they made a Tac–14 DM, But my first thought was… “It could be made it smaller.”

There’s no need for a 14 inch barrel if you’re not worried about tube capacity, and if you added an SB pistol brace. I’m definitely interested in rigging up a PDW brace, similar to the old SAGE Int stocks, then cutting the front off to meet the 26.1” requirement. 

48 minutes ago, DNP said:

You made a great point for magazine fed shotguns. Much quicker and easier to switch between ammunition types with a magazine system. 

Only if you need several rounds. If you only need one or two rounds, you can easily do an in-battery load swap. We do quick swaps from buck to slugs all the time. 

On 12/21/2017 at 2:18 PM, AngelDeVille said:

Think swapping mags is faster/easier than feeding a tube. 

On that note, I’d only buy this If I could retrofit other wise fuck Remington and their garbage firearms 

2 hours ago, shepp said:

Think swapping mags is faster/easier than feeding a tube. 

On that note, I’d only buy this If I could retrofit other wise fornicate Remington and their garbage firearms 

I disagree, I can quad load my Ithaca. Add in odd size mag carriers, where are you gonna keep them? What if you drop a single shell vs  dropping an entire mag. Plus proprietary magazine are alway expensive  

How mags would this be?

i jumped the fence to Mossberg a few years ago.

Edited by AngelDeVille

When we look at the cost of mags - it doesn't matter.

Look at mag-fed bolt guns.  AI mags are $100 each.  Accurate Mags are $80 each.  MagPul bolt action mags are around $30 each.  For another bolt gun, Ruger GSR poly mags are $40 each.  For the 308ARs, Lancer mags are $35 each.  I'll be dropping about $60 each for the mags for my 300 Win Mag.

Mag cost isn't as significant as it might seem.  It's minor, really.

On a serious note, the main problem that box magazine fed shotguns suffer from is deformation of the first round due to pressure from the spring on the feedlips/bottom of bolt if kept in weapon.

The longer they are kept in mag, the more deformed the rounds become. After a certain amount of time, the feeding of the deformed rounds is impossible. The time depends upon spring pressure and such. If I recall the discussions on this, even the second round becomes flattened given enough time.

• 2 months later...