• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero M5 build?

Txquadhunter

This is my first AR 308 build.  I've had a lot of my questions answered by reading through this forum. 

Build list:

Aero lower/upper

Aero LPk

Buffer kit? probably Aero Car kit. unless other recommendations?

BCG?  I was wondering if toolcraft would work in the Aero? i know they're GTG in the AR15 or would i be best staying with Aero to?

barrel is the problem, i'm wanting to build in 243, i've read about the X-caliber barrel on the forum, they seem to be accurate, Just lacking in gas port size, but easy fix. 

I'm looking at a 20" 1-9 twist rifle with SPR.

But, I've also found Wilson combat

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-243-Winchester-Ultimate-Hunter-18-1-10-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-243UHRG18RC10/

Also found a KAK

https://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-parts/243-winchester-parts/kak-243-stainless-19-inch-rifle-stainless-barrel

This will be for a Texas deer gun at 300 yards or less, So i don't think the FPS I'd drop from a 20" to 18" will hurt me any, 

Since not many choices in 243.  Any help on which way to go, would be great.

39 minutes ago, mineralman55 said:

Some places will, some won't. I've asked Aero repeatedly, but they won't check the headspace if you send them your bolt. They say they're too busy.

But if you buy the bolt and barrel from the same manufacturer at the same time, many of them will check it.  Again,  I would suggest confirming that instead of assuming. 

2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

But if you buy the bolt and barrel from the same manufacturer at the same time, many of them will check it.  Again,  I would suggest confirming that instead of assuming. 

Yep, another reason to go Faxon, BA, or Criterion.  :thumbup:

You've seen my post on the my .243 build using the X-caliber barrel.  Yes, I had a problem with the gas port size but it was a quick fix after seeking guidance on this board.  Only thing I might do different if I was doing it over would perhaps be a shorter barrel - 24" plus another 2" of compensator is pretty long.  20" is probably a good all around length.  Mine however is a tack driver even when shooting cheaper mass produced ammo and is a blast shooting steel at intermediate ranges.  Can't wait to see what it does when I eventually get around to developing a 95 grain target load for 800 and 1000 yard ranges.  Definitely stay with a quicker rifling twist rate (1 in 9") to stabilize heavier projectiles suitable for hunting deer.

As for a bolt, I'm using an Aero Precision nitrided bolt - cleans up easily after a day at the range. 

24 minutes ago, BIGTRUCKNUT said:

You've seen my post on the my .243 build using the X-caliber barrel.  Yes, I had a problem with the gas port size but it was a quick fix after seeking guidance on this board.  Only thing I might do different if I was doing it over would perhaps be a shorter barrel - 24" plus another 2" of compensator is pretty long.  20" is probably a good all around length.  Mine however is a tack driver even when shooting cheaper mass produced ammo and is a blast shooting steel at intermediate ranges.  Can't wait to see what it does when I eventually get around to developing a 95 grain target load for 800 and 1000 yard ranges.  Definitely stay with a quicker rifling twist rate (1 in 9") to stabilize heavier projectiles suitable for hunting deer.

As for a bolt, I'm using an Aero Precision nitrided bolt - cleans up easily after a day at the range. 

Yes, i read you're post on the X-Caliber barrel.  It was the most informative during my searching.  20" is the most i'm looking to go, I'm thinking a 1-9 twist will be a good compromise between the 1-8 and 1-10 twist barrels. 

I've got a DPMS GII with the 24" bull,  it's a little long while hunting.  I thought about having it cut down to a 20", it's a great shooter and i don't want to risk loosing it's accuracy.

I'm settling in on the X-Caliber barrel,  Since i found the one i'm wanting through a Texas dealer for $306 shipped.

• 1 month later...