• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New guy with an AR10

Phatassjay

Hey all new here on the forum and to the community. My first AR10 and already have an issue if anyone can help. My particular one is an AR10A4 which from my understanding would take magpul pmag lr/sr? I picked two up and no they do not fit, not snug...not at all. Won't even make it into the mag well. I'm curious where I can get some dependable mags? I'd prefer 20rd and 25rd. Thanks so much!

Edited by Phatassjay

45 minutes ago, Phatassjay said:

Hey all new here on the forum and to the community. My first AR10 and already have an issue if anyone can help. My particular one is an AR10A4 which from my understanding would take magpul pmag lr/sr? I picked two up and no they do not fit, not snug...not at all. Won't even make it into the mag well. I'm curious where I can get some dependable mags? I'd prefer 20rd and 25rd. Thanks so much!

I assume your talking armalite? 

Wecome to the forum from wisco im sure someone will be along soon to help

Yes it''s an armalite ar10a4. Has grip, old school a3 handguards and a fixed stock in od green. Have here in front of me and it is clearly stamped AR-10A4. The pmag's are too wide and rounded to fit in the mag well even 1/4 of an inch. Totally contradicts the info I read unless I bought some unusual model?

That solves the problem. It must be a B. When I called the shop I bought it from I asked which model A or B. I guess since it says a4 the guy told me A and interpreted that as it being the A over B. Thanks alot for that. So I'm safe to assume I can only utilize the armalite mags?

41 minutes ago, Phatassjay said:

Great! Thanks again. Mine is a B, I'm a little disappointed I didn't want to be stuck buying their overpriced mags. No choice I guess..

The good thing is those overpriced mags are top notch and your only issue will be buying them.

2 hours ago, Rsquared said:

I've got a metric $hit ton of the 20 round mags for all of my 10 B's. I've never had any kind of mag related issue. Even if you don't like the price, you're only buying them once. You won't have to replace them.

+1:thumbup:

8 hours ago, Phatassjay said:

Great! Thanks again. Mine is a B, I'm a little disappointed I didn't want to be stuck buying their overpriced mags. No choice I guess..

I wouldn't say overpriced. Comparable to Lancer mags and a couple others. Never had an issue with my B model, mags are built like tanks. I've got one specific 15 rounder I use at the range all the time, it has near 2,000 rounds and shows no sign of stopping, barely any difference in  the spring when compared to one that has only been used a couple times.

Wait a minute, I have a solution for you, sell me the B model real cheap, I have plenty of mags for it :evil:

6 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

I wouldn't say overpriced. Comparable to Lancer mags and a couple others. Never had an issue with my B model, mags are built like tanks. I've got one specific 15 rounder I use at the range all the time, it has near 2,000 rounds and shows no sign of stopping, barely any difference in  the spring when compared to one that has only been used a couple times.

Wait a minute, I have a solution for you, sell me the B model real cheap, I have plenty of mags for it :evil:

Nice try haha, I'm not gonna complain anymore. Going to embrace this sweet new weapon. I think I got an ok deal, maybe not at my local gun shop. I'm sure it was used but I paid 899 for it, has nothing but came with a 10rd mag. Doesn't even have front or rear sights. I'm looking forward to putting a nice rifle together.

This was a total spontaneous purchase that initially I was having some regrets about considering I just finished an ar pistol build. Thanks to all your comments I feel better about getting this ar10. So the B's aren't even made anymore, they'e moved onto the A?

I'm not sure - I think they transition all the way over to the A Model...  I just don't know for sure...

EDIT - Just got all over their website.  They don't offer a single complete AR-10 B-Model rifle anymore - every complete rifle they show are all A-Models.  They still offer complete uppers in the B-Model, as well as the lower receiver by itself...

Edited by 98Z5V

Let’s hope they license out B mags to another manufacturer. Glad I stocked up.

Phatassjay; right now they have 334 individual 20 round mags in stock, and no five packs. If I were you I would bite the bullet and order 5 or 6 just in case.

Edited by Sisco

On 5/5/2018 at 6:15 PM, Sisco said:

Let’s hope they license out B mags to another manufacturer. Glad I stocked up.

Phatassjay; right now they have 334 individual 20 round mags in stock, and no five packs. If I were you I would bite the bullet and order 5 or 6 just in case.

Thanks, yeah I'm gonna start getting as many as I can!