• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BCG locks up and is very gritty after cooling

D2018

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to the forum, and after reading countless articles and posts, I can’t seem to find a solution. 

I have a new .308 upper with a nickel boron bcg.  I’ve taken it out 3 times and put about 100 rounds through it each time.  Everything works pretty seemlessly at the range, no major issues.  

After I get home and the gun has cooled for more than about an hour or so the bcg gets real gritty, and 2 of those three times I could barely un-engage the bolt with the charging handle.  When I finally get the thing apart, I don’t see and metal, debris, etc, in the bcg and it looks pretty normal.  I just noticed tonight(after 3rd time out, that some of  the teeth on the bolt are very very slightly or dulled at the edge, some more than the others.  Almost looks like theyre chipped, but more scratched, as their shape has not really been changed almost at all.  I really have no idea what’s going on, it’s like someone sneaks into my bag on the way home and pours super glue and sand into the action.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

52222034-7FEA-4FA9-9822-A976FC53F7F5.jpeg

E79B0A90-8A81-4769-A3CC-9D21105C9FAA.jpeg

D44B87A4-D2C7-4CFB-ACC4-E924E7972FEE.jpeg

8D277C0E-49E0-45B8-A79E-41A897D91857.jpeg

15 minutes ago, D2018 said:

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to the forum, and after reading countless articles and posts, I can’t seem to find a solution. 

I have a new .308 upper with a nickel boron bcg.  I’ve taken it out 3 times and put about 100 rounds through it each time.  Everything works pretty seemlessly at the range, no major issues.  

After I get home and the gun has cooled for more than about an hour or so the bcg gets real gritty, and 2 of those three times I could barely un-engage the bolt with the charging handle.  When I finally get the thing apart, I don’t see and metal, debris, etc, in the bcg and it looks pretty normal.  I just noticed tonight(after 3rd time out, that some of  the teeth on the bolt are very very slightly or dulled at the edge, some more than the others.  Almost looks like theyre chipped, but more scratched, as their shape has not really been changed almost at all.  I really have no idea what’s going on, it’s like someone sneaks into my bag on the way home and pours super glue and sand into the action.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

52222034-7FEA-4FA9-9822-A976FC53F7F5.jpeg

E79B0A90-8A81-4769-A3CC-9D21105C9FAA.jpeg

D44B87A4-D2C7-4CFB-ACC4-E924E7972FEE.jpeg

8D277C0E-49E0-45B8-A79E-41A897D91857.jpeg

That chipping showing in those pics shouldn't be happening. That's evidence of metal that's too hard and brittle, or distemper. I'd get a replacement bolt ASAP just to be safe.

Your "grit" could easily be very hard tiny granules of hardened chipped metal.

10 hours ago, D2018 said:

Hello Everyone,

After I get home and the gun has cooled for more than about an hour or so the bcg gets real gritty, and 2 of those three times I could barely un-engage the bolt with the charging handle. 

Did you clean this BCG prior to taking pictures?  It is bone dry.

Brand/manufacturer of the associated parts will help, also.  Need to know what we're working with.  Can't give you advice for your Ford, when it's a Toyota...

Edited by 98Z5V

It’s an Olympus Arms kit out of California, upper came pre-assembled.  Wiped the bcg down before pictures, I take it to the range pretty wet.   

The strange part of this to me is how there are no issues or gritty or sticky ness until it has time to sit and cool for a while  

Here is barrel extension. 

72B0C132-490D-4C0D-BD21-4CE367ECDBDF.jpeg

DEBCE463-244B-4ECF-BCDC-89834601B93E.jpeg

1BB92B03-07CA-46C5-B473-4742DB9756C8.jpeg

Edited by D2018

9 hours ago, D2018 said:

It’s an Olympus Arms kit out of California, upper came pre-assembled.

Bickety-Bam.  Shiit goes back to the manufacturer. 

Seriously.

Here's the link to their Lifetime Warranty page:

https://olympusarms.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8

Here's the link to the form on that page:

https://olympusarms.com/returns-form.pdf

Don't even mess with it, I'm not kidding.  Anything you do can/might cause a warranty denial. Just send it back, with this full description that you've given here.

Let them deal with it.  :thumbup:

Don't know if you researched them before you bought, but here's their "mission statement," of sorts. 

https://olympusarms.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=4

As of this posting, they currently have zero options for uppers in their "308 Uppers" tab... 

Edited by 98Z5V

Wow.  I looked at what they DO have in stock, and they are WAY overpriced.  They have +$800 upper receivers.  All they do is upper receivers.  Makes sense, as a "gun company" in Cali, too.    They're proud of their parts, I can say that.  I looked at what was available, and I didn't see any $800 uppers there.

Please let us know how this turns out...  Send that shiit back...

That's the right thing to do, man - before you start changing parts, looking for binding points, etc...  If you went through that, you'd get frustrated, and they would have a reason to say "You modified it or tampered with it - no warranty..."

Let us know what happens, and be ready for them to find an issue and fix it, and not tell you what it was. That happens in this industry often. 

Potential issue with either the bolt having machine chatter.. or damage happened on trip to the plating facility or the barrel extension could be to blame.

The bolt lugs that were damaged/indicating wear meet at the feedramps of barrel extension.

I would have gotten the self-drying blue out and cycled it by hand.

Seems almost like a stackup issue with the bolt&extension.

Nickle boron is like a chrome plating. Granted it may be 'space aged' and 'more spiffy'.. it can have variance in the coating between piece to piece. Alongside machining tolerance. Excessive stackup could be occuring. The gas will make it run. Everything gets hot and expands. The "nib" may not expand fast as barrel extension. When cooling down, could be stiff.

However - if it has a faultless warranty....

That stated - never buy for a warranty. Buy for not needing one.

Edited by Floydieguns

7 hours ago, D2018 said:

Yea I originally bought the kit from a gun show from them.  About $1400 for the upper.  Realized now I overplayed ?

That is what we do, it is a man thang , so says my wife, of course there some worser thangs, like for instance , a woman thang!.  We live and learn.  We expect to pay more and therefore get better stuff, but sometimes it is the S.O.S (same old Stuff) just sold by a glib tongued a$$hole... so live and learn, another man's thang....... Welcome to the forum, we all have one thang in common, or maybe several thangs in common......

7 hours ago, D2018 said:

Yea I originally bought the kit from a gun show from them.  About $1400 for the upper.  Realized now I overplayed ?

7 hours ago, D2018 said:

Guilty here as well. I over paid for my 308 when I bought the receiver set from a gunshop known to be overpriced. Total impulse buy. It was there. I had money. I bought it...no looking back. 

I got a 1911 that was rollmarked 'gold cup' from colt. Totally learned how not 'national match' their new products were at that time. The shop owner sold it for about $300 over the standard price.

That happens to all of us. Keep in mind the supply/demand and markets swell/decline of value.